chaseter's biocube nano extravaganza

nissan577

i would wait the weekend. but remember some lfs wanna sell you stuff to make money when theres other ways of doing it without buying anything. i think you shouldve cycle the water the normal way. with raw shrimp or anything like that.
before any fish check your water. make sure everything is were they need to be.

greenreefer

If you anemone kicked the bucket then you should do a significant water change and don't add a fish right away. slow and stead or you'll be out of this hobby before you know it. Occassionally you get someone knowledgable at a LFS but most of the time they just learned what they know from the guy that trained them and keep in mind that their business is turn over so unless they have crappy stuff they only see their fish and corals for a couple of days to a couple of months not long term like we hope to.

chaseter

Did my water change earlier today.
I will wait a week before I get a fish. I am pissed that they had Royal Gammas for a buck here but I didn't want to buy any fish at that time

I am going slow! I have had my tank up and running for 3 weeks now and not a single fishy. But, I am happy to admit that my cuc is doing fine.

nissan577

Originally Posted by chaseter
http:///forum/post/3104929
Did my water change earlier today.
I will wait a week before I get a fish. I am pissed that they had Royal Gammas for a buck here but I didn't want to buy any fish at that time

I am going slow! I have had my tank up and running for 3 weeks now and not a single fishy. But, I am happy to admit that my cuc is doing fine.
wait your royal gramma are a $1????????????
and to me if you only had the tank cycling for 3 weeks then IMO that was tooo early to add anything!

chaseter

Royal Gammas on here were a dollar the other day! I was so angry that I couldn't get one and some other stuff from here.
You even said it would take 2-3 weeks

I wanted a clean up crew to take care of the out of control algae and I wanted to make sure that I can at least keep them alive before keeping something more expensive alive and happy. That anemone was just too beautiful and such a good price to let go...so I gave it a try and failed

chaseter

They had a bunch and one split to make that little fellow and he was only 15 bucks. I made sure and asked the guy, they know me there now, been in there 10 times in 3 weeks, took a water sample, everything checked out. He even said that it was a hardy anemone and so I said okay dokay and I was excited. Yesterday he looked fine, just closed up so I didn't take him back. Today, he looks like crap :( Too late for a refund.

tang master

i got a fish. check in my thread. i have only had it set up for 6 days now. it has almost been 24hrs and it is doing great!!

chaseter

I threw him away. He looked like crap and he smelled horrible. My first official death...and he was a beauty. Oh well:( I will get my first fish some time next week and go from there.
My first fish will be a yellow watchman goby. They are funny and quirky little creatures.

chaseter

I test all params every day. Plus, my LFS makes you bring in a sample before hand to get their guarantee.

chaseter

I am sorry, I typed ammonia and nitrite backwards.
0ppm Ammonia and less than .5 ppm nitrite.
HAHA I also noticed I typed 5 ppm ammonia...that is waaaay high. My critters and corals would be deadzo.

chaseter

I also have another question for biocubers:
I bought the protein skimmer and it fits in where the filters go. So, is the protein skimmer good enough filtration? I have a little baggy full of activated charcoal sitting over the bioballs but I just don't see how that is ample filtration to get all the toxins out.

nissan577

not really. first is ammonia, which goes to nitrite which goes to trates. so i guess after your trites goes up it will cause your trates to go up.