chaseter's biocube nano extravaganza

N

nemo_66

i had to laugh when i read charcoal. dont you mean carbon?
and your tank looks good too.

chaseter

I just read that apparently, pistol shrimp and gobys are fast friends. So, I want my Mr. Goby to be happy so what species of pistol shrimp are the best? Anybody have any success with a particular kind?

socalnano24

Hey man, just kind of caught up on your overall tank thread. Seems like your off to a very good start.
Maybe you've been adding things kind of quickily though? I know I did when I started, but I had alot of my fish die for the first two months, it wasn't until two months that my fish stabilized. You said something about your tank having been cycling for 3 weeks, but according to your count you started on the 26th, which would make today just over 2 weeks?
You may not want to add anymore livestock till say September and just see how what you have goes. Also this will give oyu time to get all your new filtration with the refugium figured out and dialed in. Wait till mid september or October if your gonna get another anemone, as they need quite mature water.
Anyways just my opinion, good luck with everything!

socalnano24

one more thing, is your refugium light submerged at all? I put a "submersible" halogen pond light in my refugium the first time around(that looks almost exactly like the one you got), somehow the difference of saltwater shorted it out and it shorted out my whole system. Just a heads up to be careful, make sure its ok for saltwater.

chaseter

No, it's not submerged.
I have had my aquarium up and running for 4 weeks now. I started posting a little after I got it. It cycled the first 5 days or something and I waited a couple of days before adding any cuc. I took in a water sample to my lfs and they said everything was good. I understand that cycling takes a while but I bought live rock that was in other people's aquariums that they traded in or sold to the lfs so the rock was already established and continuing to grow in huge bins at the store. I also bought live sand and bacteria to make the cycle quicker. I have been through the algae cycle and I monitor all levels daily.
I was weary to put a goby in there or any fish because I don't want to lose any. That is why I started out with cuc and they are doing great. I have had the goby for two days or so and he is still doing good. But, I have read and heard other people recommend waiting a couple of weeks to add another fish so that everything can adjust to the new bioload properly so that is my plan. I wasn't going to add another fish in until the end of August but I may get a pistol shrimp for my goby before then. But, I thank you so much for the advice and I am taking it and waiting to get another fish
But, I don't think that tiny goby is going to go crazy and kill everything with his ammonia.
My first thread was in the new hobbyist thread and that is when I got my aquarium. I didn't find this hangout spot until a little after. I got my aquarium around mid July and the first was broken and I got my second one towards the end of July so I believe I have had my aquarium 4 weeks or it will be 4 weeks this weekend. Don't worry, not going to throw all my fish in there at once!

socalnano24

Ok well good luck with it. Sorry if I was harsh I guess the anemone thing had me a lil worried. Of course I read it all at once. Btw I'm still new at saltwater too. Started in April

sea addict

i used to have a diamond back goby and it was cool to see him eat sand and sift it through his gills or when im feeding the tank and he is borrowed he will pook his eyes out for a peek.
but unfortunily he died.

chaseter

Originally Posted by SocalNano24
http:///forum/post/3109184
Ok well good luck with it. Sorry if I was harsh I guess the anemone thing had me a lil worried. Of course I read it all at once. Btw I'm still new at saltwater too. Started in April
It's alright. A couple of people in here told me not to get an anemone this early but it was too cheap to not try imo. I then did a bit more research on anems and they suggest you wait until after you have had your tank up and running for 6 months. So, lesson learned on that one and I probably won't get one any time soon anyways. I would rather focus on corals but I am sure one day I will try another anem.

chaseter

HAHA i gad it to???
Bout how long? I was wondering if I should buy some additive or limit the light schedule.

tang master

my tank is crazy, the rocks are covered with that stuff and the glass has to be cleaned every other day to keep good visibility.