Ciphers 120 Gal tank build

cipher43

finally got time to work on the wall again. added the first fish to the wall and as probably expected based on what i have in my tank right now you guessed it...... a pair of clown fish and an anemone. the color on the anemone is off alittle from what i wanted but i guess it will do.

after adding the second one

Think i may add BTLs filefish next but have to get the color right for it.

cipher43

WOW longtime no post but i finally got word that the wood is dry now so i can start to work with it
. I have plans this weekend but will go and get it next weekend so i can start on the stand building.

2quills

Man, waiting for wood to dry is like worse then paint. Glad to hear you're back on the build soon though.
Don't forget you got that wall to finish.

cipher43

Alright so here is what i currently have done on the wall. I still need to add the octopus and some more fish but im getting it there slowly but surely lol.

And some close ups of the new additions since last time

cipher43

Finally got a big project on the wall finished. Added a treasure chest. I did find out though that getting a picture of it without it looking weird is impossible so here is the pics i got of it.
We had to put it on top of the outlet because of the walls layout, plus i wanted it close enough to the cave that the octopus can "watch over" the chest.

here are the bubbles we added also

cipher43

Thanks all. Been trying to figure out what fish/ other thing i want to add next to the wall. Any suggestions?

cipher43

Question for the experts. I got the wood this weekend and it turned out awesome. Will get some pics of the two different types on here when i can get a chance. One of the logs is white oak and the other one is a red oak. Im pretty sure i like the white oak and you will see why in the pics i hope.
My question is about stand design. I have a 2X8 piece of oak that will be long enough to make a top for this aquarium stand but is it better to go with 2 2X6 pine boards laminated together or the one 2x8 oak chunk. I would rather the stand is super duper overkill than anything close to actual weight limits.
This is the stand design i was originally thinking which is from a stand calculator on another site

Im also planning on adding a front and back support for extra stability.
Let me know what you all think

acrylic51

Either would work and both overkill. I'd opt 2x8 personally. Laminated beam could cut down on skimmer placement movement possibly.

al&burke

Personally I would build the frame from framing lumber then finish off the outside with the oak, the 2x8 piece of oak is a big chunck and not cheap. If you could get it resawed it could be used to make trim and doors. JMHO

2quills

I think single 2x6's would be plenty for the top. Definately no worries if you went with 2x8. I like the fact that the verticals are beefed up real good in the corners that way you don't have to rely on vertical supports in the middle of the stand. That's basically how I built mine to handle the load and I just went with simple 2x4 dimensions except that I cut the boards to a true 4" instead of 3.5" for all pieces. I'm fairly confident that I could easily put a tank twice the size of my 120g on it and still have no worries. I have a center brace on the front skin that is cut to fit tight but is also removeable so that I can easily get the sump in and out of the stand. And even with the tank sitting full of water for the last month I can still remove that piece with not problem. Meaning there is virtually no flex or bowing of the stand in the middle whatsoever if that helps your decision at all.

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/385826/ciphers-120-gal-tank-build/20#post_3427211
Personally I would build the frame from framing lumber then finish off the outside with the oak, the 2x8 piece of oak is a big chunck and not cheap. If you could get it resawed it could be used to make trim and doors. JMHO
That's why i had this sawn this way so it could be used as super overkill for this project and i have lots of wood that is around an inch thick or so that i had planned on using for the doors and trim but haven't really thought about it in awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/385826/ciphers-120-gal-tank-build/20#post_3427210
Either would work and both overkill.
That's what i'm hoping for lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///t/385826/ciphers-120-gal-tank-build/20#post_3427220
I think single 2x6's would be plenty for the top. Definately no worries if you went with 2x8. I like the fact that the verticals are beefed up real good in the corners that way you don't have to rely on vertical supports in the middle of the stand. That's basically how I built mine to handle the load and I just went with simple 2x4 dimensions except that I cut the boards to a true 4" instead of 3.5" for all pieces. I'm fairly confident that I could easily put a tank twice the size of my 120g on it and still have no worries. I have a center brace on the front skin that is cut to fit tight but is also removeable so that I can easily get the sump in and out of the stand. And even with the tank sitting full of water for the last month I can still remove that piece with not problem. Meaning there is virtually no flex or bowing of the stand in the middle whatsoever if that helps your decision at all.
so did you buy 2X6s and cut them? also would you be able to take a pic of your front center brace piece cause that's what i would like to do also.

2quills

I actually used 3/4" sheets of oak ply wood that I riped into strips and then laminated the strips together with glue and screws to get my 1-1/2"x4" dimensions for the framing. It was a technique that I stole from a guy who does some really beautiful custom work. Its supposedly a lot stronger than traditional 2x4 and shouldn't ever warp. So I had all strait and true pieces to work with. But yeah ill get pics for you tonight.

al&burke

Do you have a good shop, do you you have a mortiser (cuts square holes) if you have alot of this oak I would mortise and tenon everything together and make the wood your supports and the finished product, it would in my mind make a beautiful stand that is strong and functional. Every piece would be fitted together and finished - no covering rough lumber with veneers then.