Ciphers 120 Gal tank build

cipher43

Finally had some time and the tools to work this weekend on the stands and got abit accomplished. here are some of the pics
To start out here are some reasons my wife will be thrilled when we get these stands done.... I was also informed that I'm making the house a mess LOL
Here are the tank toppers getting ready to be painted with the porch paint.

Here are the boards for the left side of the tank. I still had to glue the top piece and also glue the whole side together but am planning on doing that on Tuesday cause i don't have the clamps right now.

and here is a test piece with the stain we are planning on using. Its supposed to be a very light cherry color even though it doesn't look like it here. Really happy with it tho cause it makes the tigering in this wood really pop out.

2quills

haha...looks a lot like when I started building the stand in our old dinning room. You're wife must be a pretty understanding gal. So far so good!

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/385826/ciphers-120-gal-tank-build/60#post_3434878
Finally had some time and the tools to work this weekend on the stands and got abit accomplished. here are some of the pics
To start out here are some reasons my wife will be thrilled when we get these stands done.... I was also informed that I'm making the house a mess LOL
Here are the tank toppers getting ready to be painted with the porch paint.

Here are the boards for the left side of the tank. I still had to glue the top piece and also glue the whole side together but am planning on doing that on Tuesday cause i don't have the clamps right now.

and here is a test piece with the stain we are planning on using. Its supposed to be a very light cherry color even though it doesn't look like it here. Really happy with it tho cause it makes the tigering in this wood really pop out.

cipher43

Finally got the tank up to the office and cleaned up some. Now my priority is getting the light and sand orderd so I can get this thing going. The doors and trim are on hold till those things happen.

2quills

I'm sure it will look cool once it's all done. It already does. It's one of those things that you just keep adding to as time goes by. Every time you get a fish or coral you can add it to your wall.

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/385826/ciphers-120-gal-tank-build/60#post_3450925
Did you ever get clarification on the impeller in your Dart pump.....
Yes. It is a dart impeller so i will throttle it back or get another one some time. Whats the best way to make the pump as quiet as it can be. I hear you can put a foam pad underneath. Is that true and/or the best way? If so i need to figure that out before i drill the hole in the sump to get the angle right. The 2" bulkhead and saw i orderd from glass holes is supposed to be here today
so I can start working on that hole soon. Getting all of my plumbing supplies today after work to build all of my returns and drains..... I wish my RO was faster cause i only have 15 gallons in the tank right now and it only makes about 5 gallons per 6-8 hours so i feel like im
alot. Also i found out one of my koralia pumps had a broken impeller on it when i got it so returning that today to get another one.
Gonna order my sand today so cant wait for that too.
How long should it take to cycle if i put some of my live rock and sand in the tank?

acrylic51

In the past I've never run a pad under my Dart and had no use issues. This time I did purchase a vibration dampening pad from **************. I think a mouse pad would work just as well. I think a big key is bolting the pump down securely to minimize vibrations.
Correct you need to get your foam or pad down first to get the correct height to drill the bulkhead hole in the sump. My vibration pad is 1" thick.
As far as your RO unit you could try coiling your input line in warm water. Supply water temp also affects production as well.

cipher43

Well look what we have here lol

I got the optional screen just in case i have a snail get out of the fuge and go into the inlet. Figured that may do damage to the impeller but i hope it doesn't reduce the flow much.
I may see if the mouse pad would be enough dampening cause if it is i will do that. I have a few of those laying around i think. I also have some foam i used on a motorcycle seat.

acrylic51

Maybe a better option to the strainer would be an elbow, and a strainer as Corey did.....I can't remember on which part, but it utilized egg crate fit inside the bulkhead....I just love big bulkheads!!!!!!

cipher43

I looked at some plumbing stuff yesterday and found a check valve that i thought about using but i saw it has metal in it. Will tha cause problems if its stainless?

acrylic51

You want no metal period.....Bottom line, don't waste your cash on a check valve.....I'm not saying they don't do what they are suppose to, but they will fail at some point, and they do restrict flow. No one can give you a definite answer when it will fail, but when it does you probably won't be around to see it happen. You'd be better served drilling siphon break holes in your returns.

cipher43

Thats what I have found too but this one looked better with the exception to the metal. Thats the only reason I asked
So do i just drill a hole in my locline then?

cipher43

So for the past few weeks even though there wernt any fish in the tank we have been feeding it just alittle to try and get the scrubber to start producing algae. here is what Ive got so far.