Cleaner Clam Question???

bergamer

they will not hurt your sandbed bc they only filter the water itself
and they usually bury themselves in the sand overnight.

ninjamini

Originally posted by Ishtar
Do you need to feed these clams? What if you run out nitrates?

If they run out of nitrates get them a biowheel. That will give them enough to feed on.

northwest

I just put 4 in my tank yesterday.
Cost ~$2.00
I think I want to get more sand to make it deeper.
I'll keep you posted on how they do.

ninjamini

I put one into my Eclipse6, which has a biowheel that should provide lotsa food for this littleneck. But I have not seen hide or hare of him since he burried himself several days ago. With the exception of a part of the edge of the shell one day. I have not seen one his filters.
I guess I will find out this saturday when I do my chem check. If nitrates are low (0-20) hes going good.
If nitrates are medium (20-40) hes doing ok. I will add another.
If nitrates are High (40-80) I will take him out and get another.
Good Plan?

sammiefish

If they are meant for human consumption they better be alive wherever you might buy them!! Unless, of course, they are in a can!:scared:

pebbles

This is really cool I'm new to the hobby & when I saw that you could go to the fish market & buy clams I thought I have to try that! I did I bought 2 clams for .98 I live in Iowa not on the coast so I thought I wouldnt have any luck but I did find a store. I took them home put them in to glasses with tank water one spit one didn't I put them both in the tank the one that spit started coming out when I turned the light out the other one I thought well if it doesn't chg by morning I'll toss it, I went for a walk came back & the one that hadnt opened yet had buried itself & the tube was sticking out, the one that had spit was still intop of the sand, now I'm watching the 2nd clam dig itself into the sand sooo cool! I think I'll buy 2 more tomorrow. :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:
Thanks for the great link I'll have to tell all my saltwater friends.

pebbles

okay so I got these clams yesterday & they buried themselves last night but they already moved is that a bad sign??? like I said this is a new tank (2-26-05). or is it normal for them to move???
Thanks

ryan115

It just so happens that I am studying Bi-valves right now in Zoology. The "insides" that yall are talking about are actually the muscular foot of the clam. They stretch it out of the shell and use it to pull themselves into the substrate. They are filterfeeders though, which simple means that they eat microbes that are in the water. now im note sure how that helps lower nitrates in the water, but i do know they do a hell of a job keeping a tank clean. A question though, does anyone know if the clams that i could get in Mississippi would be ok. I dont know if they are harveasted from the NorthWest or not but is there a name of clam that i should be looking for. there is usually more of a market for oysters than clams around here

pebbles

I'm sorry to keep reposting but I think my clam may have moved to get out of the current???? I turn the powerhead off at night so he might have liked where he was at first but in the morning when the powerhead came on he may have chgd his mind. What do you think???
As For Ryan's ? I dont think you can use clams from the Mississippi I think those would be freshwater clams. I went to a local "fresh seafood" store & they had saltwater clams they even asked if I had a saltwater tank bcs these were saltwater clams. I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure. Besides I cant believe anyone would sell clams out of the Mississippi to eat, think about it, they "filter feed" and that river is GROSS!!! I wont even swim in it anymore!!! Good luck!

vwbortoni

I can't believe this is true... I just went to my local supermarket and picked up a dozen clams for $3.50!!
All are alive (the package said "live") and are now cleaning my 55.
Yeah!

dmill15

I have a couple that I picked up off the beach in Pensacola about a year ago. One is about 5" from end to end and can't completely bury it's self in my sand bed and it is prefectly happy. I was looking to get more and since I'm not in Fla anymore thanks to the Navy, now I know what to try. Thanks for this post.
Dave

pebbles

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the clams need the sand bed to bury them selves in to live & get the nitrates they need.
I only replyed because no one else has & I'm pretty sure.

pebbles

no i dont think they like cc bcs I have cc in the back of my tank under the sand bed & the one clam that I have back there has got up & moved 3 times & I've only had it 3 days everytime it moved there was cc pulled up from the bottom so I know it had cc under it. Hope this helps if someone else has different info please share... :jumping:

lionkiller

I have a CC and live sand mixture. Mainly CC though. A lot actually, my 8 clams do just fine, when not being babysat by the LFS when I am treating for ick.