Cleaner Clam Question???

wasupdavey

Originally Posted by Dragonladylea
I have had two Cherrystone clams in my fuge for at least 6mths and they are doing fine. I have sold over a hundred of these over the last 6mths to reef keepers in my area and have not had any significant losses. Everyone seems to like them and I couldnt be happier with mine.
Do you breed these clams in your tank? How do you sell them?
Also another thing does anyone know if Oysters and Mussels do the same thing as Cleaner Clams do. Filter Feed and eat Nitrates?

Actually, I have a supplier that I have had good luck with and I dont make a profit on these just enough to pay for my table at the Frag swaps. I have not heard of them ever breeding them in captivity.

renogaw

well, i've pulled out 4 cleaner clam shells so far, and i think the last one is sitting on the sand bed right now. so maybe the high temp and high salinity aren't doing the clams any favors, but it sure is making tastey meals for my clean up crews.

wasupdavey

I'll be running my own testing on these clams as soon as my Quarantine tank cycles. It envolves manilla clams and littleneck clams. I'm going to run my salinity at 1.023 and temperature at 74F or 76F no higher no lower. I'll update on how it goes

jrandolph1

This is a really cool thread. Anyway I just bought 2 for my 180 and going to see how they do. They spit and are just chillin on top of the sand bed right now. Im gonna watch them carefully when the lights go out. Every one seems to be very curious about the two new members of the community. After reading this thread I was ready to get the other 34 but I really would like to know what the ratio of clams to gallons really should be. I guess everything depends on the size of the clams though huh. Maybe I'll just do like 20 and see how everything goes. I bought mine at Publix for .40 each so if anyone in the southeast is interested in this they seem to have good livestock. The guy behind the counter was pretty interested in the experiment we told him we were partaking in. Anyways thanks for the info and I hope this thread keeps helping others.

A

awakened2life

Has anyone seen these creatures spit milky stuff for more than two minutes strait? one of my did.

NM, i just read mudplayerx's post. should i take 'em out if they do this?
I got FIVE at Stater Bros (super market in california) and all five are alive!
Only two spit waste, one spit clear spit, and the other two i just made sure they opened up before i put them in my tank. All five are at work in my tank, and these are big ones.

coral keeper

WOW!!! I never new that you can buy cleaner clams at the store (cleaner clams in food terms are called little necks, cherry stones, quahog, chowders)!!!!

J

jamparty

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Bump.

why are you bumping this?...

I bought 4 littlenecks last night and put them in.
Two have buried themselves and seem fine the other two remain on the top of the sand closed.
Should I assume their dead?

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Sailfin Tang
I bought 4 littlenecks last night and put them in.
Two have buried themselves and seem fine the other two remain on the top of the sand closed.
Should I assume their dead?
You should take them out and touch them and if they dont close up that means they are dead, if they close up that means they are alive.

dlee

I went to my seafood store last week and bought a bunch of littleneck clams for dinner. I thought "what the hell" and threw 2 of them in my tank (i rinsed them in the sink first). I did not burp them.
The burried themselves in about 2 hours and are still alive.

U

usirchchris

anyone on the east coast particularly ohio know where to get these...aside a pet store. Went into two major grocery stores and no luck in the sea food section...