Clownfish Breeding

al&burke

Well I got home from Southern FLorida today, just in time Huricane Sandy is starting to cause some problems, tomorrow is supposed to be the worst day, all you guys down there I wish you the best of luck and I hope your power stays on and everyone is safe.
Bang Guy - I have to give you a huge thank you - without your suggestion of taking them out and putting them in another tank I would have came home to an empty rock in my reef tank, THANK YOU my friend. So I had them in a real small tank, about half of them were dead on the bottom and about a quarter of the eggs didn't hatch, it was the side opposite of the bubbler - lesson learned. I took 5 gallons out of the reef tank and put it in a 10 gallon tank, added rotifiers and greenwater and an airstone. I siphoned the larvae out of the little tank and put them in the half full 10 gallon. I also blacked off three of the sides and the bottom. They appear to be happy I see them swimming after the rotifiers. Most of them are swimming around the bubbler and a few are hanging out on the bottom, I suspect the ones on the bottom might not make it.
Thanks again Bang Guy - you are a wealth of knowledge for this forum.

bang guy

I suddenly feel like a Grandpa.
This may be a blessing in disguise. "Practicing" and refining your technique may actually be more effective with a smaller number of larvae. 300 larvae can be a bit overwhelming at times so starting off the first batch with a couple dozen could be a plus.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393244/clownfish-breeding/20#post_3498395

I suddenly feel like a Grandpa.
This may be a blessing in disguise. "Practicing" and refining your technique may actually be more effective with a smaller number of larvae. 300 larvae can be a bit overwhelming at times so starting off the first batch with a couple dozen could be a plus.
Grampa Bang Guy, has a ring to it. I can't thank you enough. Funny I put the slate back in the reef today and the pair went right to it, the original rock they used to spawn on is becoming covered in mushroom corals. See what happens - I have to get a few more ten gallon tanks I think.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/393244/clownfish-breeding/20#post_3498397
The big little question. What are you going to do with all those clown fish once they grow out? LOL
Hopefully my LFS will take them, but lets not count our chickens before they hatch.
I am happy to report that there are a bunch still alive and thriving (me thinks) 3 days old - going to start some brine shrimp on monday. ANd tomorrow a water change for them.

al&burke

This morning I roughly counted 30 alive and swimming well, happy with this for the first time, keeping my fingers crossed.

bang guy

I found this series of pictures. I took a picture a day for two weeks. I used to refer to it often to compare and see how a batch was doing.

al&burke

Thanks Guys and Thanks Bang Guy for the pictures - great reference - I was watching them today and looks like at least 40 - are water changes necessary at this point.

bang guy

I used to start BBS on day 7 or 8. Metamorphasis should start soon after that and they should all go through it by day 14.

mr. limpid

I bet. Mine are breeding every month, but I dont have anything set up to raise them so they just become food or caught in prefilters of over flow.

al&burke

I was set up except for the unexpected business trip to Florida. I have been growing rotifers for over a month now, the reef tank really likes them as well. I need to get one of those 53 micron sieves now to harvest them a bit more efficiently.