Clownfish Breeding

bang guy

I usually had a sponge filter in place on day 5. I waited until the larvae became very proficient at pouncing on rotifers. I actually used PVC tubing with elbows at water level to created a circular current. The larvae quickly learn to swim in place and let the food come to them.

al&burke

Ok - does it filter out the rotifers and BBS. You were talki of tng about cyclops - should a try a tiny bit of that.
Thanks again Bang Guy - oh seeing some interesting stuff in the fry tank, the more mature ones are stayimng in one spot and keeping others away, kind of like the corner of the fry tank is hosting them. Seeing white lines now on the fish.

bang guy

Yeah, it's like a little green box with a very fine sieve on one end.
Cyclops are very nutritious and make a good food to wean the Clownfish off of live food. If yours are freeze dried then be sure to hydrate them with fresh water, not saltwater. The frozen just need to be thawed.

al&burke

So here are some update pictures, this guy was two white strips. I have to say that I am really enjoying this.

al&burke

snakeblitz33

I was hoping to get some pics of your whole setup and your phytoplankton/rotifer culture station. I'm always curious about what other people are doing.

al&burke

My rotifers are in a white bucket (old salt bucket) with an airstone on very low, I am not growing phytoplanton I use RG Complete by AP Breed, little more expensive but it has a pH and ammonia blocker in it. I few drops a day in the rotifer bucket and I even add a few drops to the fry tank. I add rotifers to my reef tanks all the time, seems to be appreciated by the corals, the acans really open up when I add the rotifers. The little tank to the right of the fry tank is my ghost shrimp tank, feeders.

bang guy

One more thing I remember doing. I always had a large Bristleworm in each grow out tank. They eat all the dead Rotifers and any casualties before they pollute the water.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393244/clownfish-breeding/60#post_3500362
One more thing I remember doing. I always had a large Bristleworm in each grow out tank. They eat all the dead Rotifers and any casualties before they pollute the water.
Great to know, someone told me about adding iodine so the clowns wouldn't have misbars. Thanks Guy.

al&burke

So I have another batch almost ready to go in the fry tank (new one) I made this holder for the slate and I split the air line so air would be going up both sides of the batch of eggs. I found that an airstone was too fine and the bubbles were sticking to the eggs.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393244/clownfish-breeding/60#post_3500362
That... is... amazing. I never thought of that before. That... is ... gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///t/393244/clownfish-breeding/60#post_3500369
Great to know, someone told me about adding iodine so the clowns wouldn't have misbars. Thanks Guy.
Never heard of this either - I'll have to do some more research.
That's an awesome little artifice you have created. Good job!
Got any pics of your older clowns?

al&burke

So I transfer the second batch of eggs into a new fry tank, 1/2 an hour later I see one fry swimming around - couldn't have timed that better.

gemmy

That's awesome. Have you figured out what you are going to do with the fry once they get bigger?

bang guy

An LFS is the least stress. I began by selling online and shipping them out but it really is a lot of stress. Once I hooked up to a good LFS it was great.