converting freshwater tank to salt

silverado61

If you use a shrimp, it's best to use a raw table shrimp. Buy a pound from your grocery store, use one for the tank and enjoy the rest. I suggest you put the shrimp in a piece of ladies nylon, tie it closed then just toss it in. The shrimp will start to decompose and fall apart. The nylon makes it easier to get it all out without making a mess.

pegasus

If you use a shrimp, it's best to use a raw table shrimp. Buy a pound from your grocery store, use one for the tank and enjoy the rest. I suggest you put the shrimp in a piece of ladies nylon, tie it closed then just toss it in. The shrimp will start to decompose and fall apart. The nylon makes it easier to get it all out without making a mess.
+1

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauler http:///t/397664/converting-freshwater-tank-to-salt/240#post_3547818
Ill do just that and what's a good test kit?

Hi...

I personally like the Seachem kits, each test comes with a regent to be able to double check the test results, after the test kits (any brand) get close to a year old, it's iffy on their accuracy, with a test regent you can be sure the test is still accurate enough to trust. Instant Ocean is the easiest to read of all the kits I have ever used.

API reads high on nitrates...4Xs higher according to GeriDoc, our resident scientist.

For some reason... when I first got on this site, nobody liked RedSea (the test kit I was using at the time) I never understood why, they claimed they weren't accurate, but mine read the same as the API they told me to get...now API have fallen out of the site majorities good standing.

Now the majority rule is to get SeaChem, Salifert or Instant Ocean

mauler

Do they have like a master kit cause all I'm seeing is individual tests like one for nitrite one nitrates exc.....

pegasus

Umm...you should NEVER add salt to the tank. Mix your saltwater in a separate container and let it blend overnight by using a pump or powerhead. Then add the saltwater to the tank.

mauler

I thought you only had to pre mix once you had fish in there cause I added it to a completely empty tank

mauler

Nope it was empty but now there's sand and rocks. I also have a question what are some tangs I could put in my tank? I was thinking a orange shoulder or lieutenant tang