coral reefs take millions of years to grow

keleighr

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
Mathematically, it is possible.
2 people have ten children (which is what is believed happenned. 20 years later those 10 children have 5 apiece. You have gone from 2 to 62 in 2 years. Back then, the average family had 6-10 children per family. Now days it is down to two. Add another twenty years. those 50 children each have an average of 5 kids. that is 250 kids. you are now at 312 people in a 60 year span. 2 people die and you still 310 people. 250 of which will procreate in the next 20 years. People got married younger then, so a woman could be married at 14 and have 5-6 children before 20. It is mathematically possible. Is it true...that is open for debate.

[hr]
over time causes major birth defects. You have family members continually having children then it would show up in time and the more it is done the more birth defects.
There is a pride of lions that are dying out (they live in a volcano) due to all the birth defects from the lions being to closely related. So they are slowly introducing new lions from other prides so that this pride will continue on.

keleighr

Darth Tang said:
I never understood why only one theory has to be right.
When I was on looking into following (which I have since decided against) I was told many times that (by priests, reverands....) that you can only beleive in the one.
Adam and Eve.
There are also folks on the Science piece who say the same thing but of course it is the Evolution theory.
I myself do believe in the evolution theory.
If you have ever really studied and watched the great apes there are so many similarities that we ourselves have.
My thing is Believe in what you believe in.

darth tang

The statement was to prove it was mathematically possible. I proved that, I think. As far as birth defects. They continue when you have relations and children from cousins or more immediate family. The birth defects aren't a solid occurance however. Also by the third generation, you would no longer be with immediate cousins. Therefore the risk of birth defects are greatly reduced.
Even if birth defects were prominant and say down's syndrome showed up a lot...it would not pass on to every generation. To people with down's syndrome does not guarantee the child will get it. In fact it rarely happens that way.

caomt

the only way we live as long as we do now to reproduce is only because of technology and the way life has changed in the past 200 years

caomt

if all technology and tooth brushes and shampoo was taken away im pretty sure we would all die fast.. well some of us cant even live without a tv...we spend our lives gettin used to these things.. when we cant live without them

caomt

you cant really say were gonna last forever... maybe until the sun is in is phase then we will all be gone.. thats another thing that the sun loses 5 feet every hour ... something that big looking from earth is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really big in the sky.. its possible to be losing size... fire cannot burn forever.

darth tang

Originally Posted by caomt
the only way we live as long as we do now to reproduce is only because of technology and the way life has changed in the past 200 years
There are some that will say the advancec in technology have hurt us as well as they have benefitted us. Imagine a world with no man made polution. I am willing to but far less people died of lung cancer......there are two sides to that coin.

keleighr

Originally Posted by caomt
if all technology and tooth brushes and shampoo was taken away im pretty sure we would all die fast.. well some of us cant even live without a tv...we spend our lives gettin used to these things.. when we cant live without them
Can't live with out the Xbox here!!
What amazes me how we have survived at all!!
I mean you think back a couple of hundred of years and we didn't have close to what we have now and I am just speaking medically!!
Vets were considered the Doctors!! I mean one day he (cause you know men tried to keep a woman down!!
) was birthing a cow and the next he was throwing leaches on you to cure a cough!

keleighr

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
The statement was to prove it was mathematically possible. I proved that, I think. As far as birth defects. They continue when you have relations and children from cousins or more immediate family. The birth defects aren't a solid occurance however. Also by the third generation, you would no longer be with immediate cousins. Therefore the risk of birth defects are greatly reduced.
Even if birth defects were prominant and say down's syndrome showed up a lot...it would not pass on to every generation. To people with down's syndrome does not guarantee the child will get it. In fact it rarely happens that way.

You are to much!!

Kicked my butt in the Riddles and now math!!
They actually have shown the results of what happens to families who "keep it in the family" After the third or fourth generation some major birth defects start showing up.
Especially if you have families that carry hereditary defects then the amount of the defects and how soon they start showing up increased.
Me personally couldn't get down with anyone in my family!
Royalty back in the days were well known for it. To keep the blood line pure.
I don't know about the big boom theory nor do I know what killed the dinosaurs. But we do have proof that they were here.
That scientist feel that the bones date back millions of years.
Since I am more of the scientific sided I tend to believe the facts and the information that has been sitting in museums for years and years.

oozy

one day...a long long time from now, after we are long dead, the earth will eventualy die as well, be it solar expansion, cosmic projectile, or we humans just plain screwed it all up, one way or another this will all end...
I dont want to be dead, standing around, wondering what just happend...
wait, did i just miss something?
my brain hurts, it must be oscillating...or shrinking at a rate of 5'/hour...
oh, this is why i have a fish tank, I have created my own world!
A place where i am god!
I rule the fate of my captives, I mean inhabitants!
muhaha...muhaha

darth tang

Who is to say though that evolution wasn't a birth defect. Our bodies and tolerances have changed over time. So has our technology. Maybe our recent advances have come about because as a society we have evolved away from "the simple-mindedness" of our ancestors (due to closely related people producing offspring) and have grown more intelligent as we were able to diversify ourselves more so than in the past. Just a theory I have.
I am out of here, have good thanksgiving all.

ryansholl

Originally Posted by JacknJill
also, i believe that god created everything, and then we evolved from there. so a little bit of both. but in no way whatsoever do i even begin to believe we evolved from a monkey!
evolved from there, but not from a monkey? Would be interesting, or hilarious, to hear that theory :)
If we didn't evolve from something else, a monkey or what have you, I'd appreciate knowing why whatever created us did such a lazy job of design; why I have an appendix, tailbones, the fold on the inside of my eye... why does my body hair stand up when I'm on edge... why does a cavefish have eyes covered in tissue... why did the dodo have wings... why do some snakes and whales have pelvises... why all the problems with wisdom teeth... why are some humans born with tails... why on earth do I have the same general skeletal structure as all of my pets, including the very fish that we all love... and damnit why does my (and everyone elses') back(s) have to hurt so much if we didn't evolve from apes?! ;)
Not meant to spur argument, just fun things to think about- and my back hurts like hell today ;)
and yes! Have a great turkey day tomorrow everyone!

caomt

happy thanksgiving everyone ehhe i just woke up from falling asleep building my sump... ahah im ready to eat later

jacknjill

even thinking that we evolved from a monkey is an insult to the human race.
why arent there still monkeys still in the process of evolving into humans?

jacknjill

Originally Posted by Speg
Do you really believe that people lived for that long? Sure there werent >as many< diseases etc out there then.. but for someone to live that long in a time when there was just about no medicine or doctors and their diets may have consisted of mostly red meat that probably wasnt cooked as well as it needed to be... plus wild animals all around them............. they would have to survive almost unreal odds :p
Also back in 'those days' people probably didnt really have too good of an idea of how time passed. 50 days to them may have been a year, when were calenders invented? People did not live 700 years.
I believe in God without a doubt as well.... but im trying to keep the discussion as equal to both sides as possible to keep from starting a bad arguement :)

check for yourself. Genesis ch5 in the Bible

salty tank

Personally i think scientist are full of sh*t. They all think different things about the earth and how it evolved and all that BS. I dont know whos right, the earth could be a thousand yrs old it could be a billion yrs old. I dont think they will ever find the truly correct answer i think they will just think they know.