Costa's 156 gallon Build Log

costa13

Well I have been researching and preparing for this tank for many months now. I just picked up the tank today, that I had built by a local aqurium builder in Mississippi. I chose to go with a tank that was 60x24x24 = 156 gallons. There is 3x 1.5" holes drilled in the back. Two of the holes are for drains to the sump, on these I will be using exterior duroso standpipes. The 3rd hole is the intake of the CL. However the aquirium builder drilled the CL intake hole to high so I am going to have to use a 90 to drop it down a little. I am going to have the stand and canopy built by the cabinet maker who built the cabinets in our kitchen.
I plan on painting the back of the tank black. Also I am either going to SSB or BB on this tank. I am leaning towards SSB because I really like the look of sand. For the rock work I am planning on having two island type structures. The reason for doing this is better circulation, more room for the fish to swim and I am sick of rock walls.
So far here is my equipment list:
Lighting:
2x IceCap 250w MH HQI Ballast
2x Lumenarc Stealth HQI reflector
2x Phoneix 250w MH HQI Bulbs
Supplemented with either T5s or VHOs
Skimmer:
Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 150
Controller
Nepturn AquaController JR or II
Closed Loop:
OM 4-way
Sequence Dart
Return Pump:
Eheim 1262
Heater:
2x 250w heater
Reactors:
GEO Calcium Reactor 618
CO2 bottle and regulator
PhoBan Reactor
DIY Auto Top Off
Heres a pictures of the tank sitting in my garge.

The 2 drains

The CL intake as you can see I had to put the 90 on it

Also here is my sump design the I will be builling. I will be using a spare 20T that I have laying around for the fuge and build the sump out of acrylic.

costa13

Also forgot to mention I am upgrading from a 20 gallon tank, that I am treating for flatworms right now. Heres a picture of it.

costa13

Originally Posted by BoCfuss
Very Nice!! Keep us updated. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Yea neither can I. This hobby takes so much patience. LOL

costa13

Update I ordered my stand and canopy from a local cabinet maker. It should be ready in about 2 months. He said maybe sooner he is not sure though. Also I have decided to go BB with starboard on the bottom. I like BB better because you do not have to worry about sandstorms and nitrates building up in your sand bed. I am excited to see how it looks.

costa13

Originally Posted by ifirefight
Technically....Thats a 149.61 gallon tank. Not trying to be a di@k head or anything. :hilarious
Now that you mention it your right. Oh well to bad I cannot change the title of this thread anyway. LOL

ifirefight

Originally Posted by costa13
Now that you mention it your right. Oh well to bad I cannot change the title of this thread anyway. LOL
Well,at least it gives you a bump.,.

costa13

Today I sprainted the back of the tank a midnight blue. I really like how it turned out. The tank is still taped so don't think I spray painted the bracing blue. LOL Now I am just waiting for the stand and canopy to be complete.

costa13

I just back from my LFS and picked up about 60lbs of some nice LR. I will be cooking it until my tank is setup. Here are some pictures.

Also in the near future I will be picking up about another 60lbs to 80lbs. Don't know yet.

costa13

Triga: Thanks, yea I can't wait either
WangoTango: I am really happy that I went with a midnight blue, it makes the tank look like it has more depth rather than black making it look narrow.
stdreb27: Thanks it seems like you spend more time planning it than you do building it. LOL

costa13

Here is a picture of all the rock I have collected for this tank so far. It is somewhere between 80-85lbs.

Also tomorrow I will begin building the refugium tank and the RO/DI topoff tank, out of acrylic, and hopefully next week build the sump. Here is an updated picture of the sump. As you can see I will be building a little stand for the refugium and have the RO/DI tank underneath it to save space.

costa13

My first order of equipment came in a couple of days ago. It felt like Christmas all over again. :cheer: '' I still have to order more equipment though. Man this hobby really burns a hole in you pocket