Dear Diary...

adairable

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
OK But your email address is needed. I tried to use the force but it didnt work...LOL
ooops....how do I rememdy that????

adairable

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
I agree my issue was flow no doubt. The 2 places it turned up in were dead to water movement.
i just don't wanna rearrange the rocks b/c I the corals finally seem happy and if I move 'em they are all going to close back up....

not to mention I have HUGE MONSTER bristle worms that are hiding in the rocks and I am afraid they'll get me :scared: :scared:

clay12340

At that size it is hard to say what the things on your glass are. Copepods will often hang out on the glass and are about that size, but the description makes me think of some species of flatworms. The flatworms can be much larger than that though.
Here is a picture of an Acoel flatworm

This Hitch Hiker guide is a great resource and is also where that picture comes from. It isn't always completely clear on whether or not the creature is harmful, but it helps identify what they are to further research.
p.s. Once he gets your email I'd edit it out of your post. Posting it on a public site is a great way to pick up spam.

adairable

Originally Posted by Clay12340
At that size it is hard to say what the things on your glass are. Copepods will often hang out on the glass and are about that size, but the description makes me think of some species of flatworms. The flatworms can be much larger than that though.
Here is a picture of an Acoel flatworm

This Hitch Hiker guide is a great resource and is also where that picture comes from. It isn't always completely clear on whether or not the creature is harmful, but it helps identify what they are to further research.
p.s. Once he gets your email I'd edit it out of your post. Posting it on a public site is a great way to pick up spam.
thanks for the advice hun! both about the hitch hiker and the spam....I will take it out immediatley

clay12340

Flatworms usually have a specific species of creature that they feed on and they can be a problem for some corals. I had a fair number of them that looked exactly like the picture I posted and I didn't have any problems with them.
I just physically removed them whenever I saw one out in the open and I've not seen one in quite some time. I imagine they were feeding on something in the tank, but they weren't causing any noticeable problem in my aquarium. I never did figure out what it was that they feed off of.
You might want to try and get a good picture of one and see if anyone has a better guess as to what they are.

adairable

Originally Posted by Clay12340
Flatworms usually have a specific species of creature that they feed on and they can be a problem for some corals. I had a fair number of them that looked exactly like the picture I posted and I didn't have any problems with them.
I just physically removed them whenever I saw one out in the open and I've not seen one in quite some time. I imagine they were feeding on something in the tank, but they weren't causing any noticeable problem in my aquarium. I never did figure out what it was that they feed off of.
You might want to try and get a good picture of one and see if anyone has a better guess as to what they are.
I wish I could get a picture but my camera wont focus on them because they are too small. I have only seen them on the glass. I looked on my corals but I can't tell.....I don't even know if they are flatworms....they are literally too small for identification and the only thing i can see about them is that they have a forked tail and they kinda scoot on the glass, never seen them swim
I can't really take them out of the tank....I mean I can brush them off the glass but they'll probably just cruise through the tank until they land somewhere.....

bang guy

Originally Posted by Adairable
they are literally too small for identification and the only thing i can see about them is that they have a forked tail and they kinda scoot on the glass, never seen them swim.
Sounds to me like a benthic Harpacticoid Copepod.
For your earlier question, nearly all Chiton larvae are going to be immediately consumed by animals in your reef and any filters, they're not going to survive in a small enclosed aquarium.

adairable

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Sounds to me like a benthic Harpacticoid Copepod.
For your earlier question, nearly all Chiton larvae are going to be immediately consumed by animals in your reef and any filters, they're not going to survive in a small enclosed aquarium.
Guess I will do more research on the copepod

Yea! free food for the corals....they probably loved it! I only wish I had a fish to feed....
Oh well 5 more weeks is all I have to wait!!!
The count down is on!
Thanks again Bang!

bonebrake

Hey Adair,
I just sent in our order here at saltwaterfish.com and I spent $240!
:scared:
Your cut is only $90 though so don't get too worried!

adairable

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Hey Adair,
I just sent in our order here at saltwaterfish.com and I spent $240!
:scared:
Your cut is only $90 though so don't get too worried!

Oh my....you broke the bank!

Joking!!! I am glad I decided against the gorgonian....man, if I broke 100 I might have cried
I am so excited about the sexy shrimp!!!!
Who has some advice about them??!!??!! :thinking:

adairable

Today is Christmas!!!! :jumping:
Not really but I am getting my order from SWF....hopefully!!!!!
I am finally getting that alk test everyone has been telling me to get and I am also getting a sexy shrimp, a group of peppermint shrimp, umbrella mushroom and a couple of the green ricordeas!!!

bonebrake

Adair, they didn't ship out our package yesterday, but it appears they are shipping it today, so we should get it tomorrow.
I'm so excited!

adairable

Originally Posted by Bonebrake

Adair, they didn't ship out our package yesterday, but it appears they are shipping it today, so we should get it tomorrow.
I'm so excited!

RA! :mad:
Adair angry...Adair BREAK!
j/k, man i was so excited!!!! I wasn't even going to go to the gym...I was gonna go straight home after work and play!!!!
Looks like now I don't have an excuse not to go

adairable

So I was reading a thread somewhere on here and it mentioned something about leaving the lights on in the tank to lower nitrates by producing microfauna.....
can someone explain this process....or dispute it, either is fine with me

bonebrake

Originally Posted by Adairable
RA! :mad:
Adair angry...Adair BREAK!

They are probably talking about leaving the lights on all the time in a refugium and not your display tank. Most of your corals would not like the lights being on all of the time.
:joy:

adairable

????
I don't think they were talking about all the time, more like 12 hours?
Would that be too much?
I think mine come on for like 6ish. Is this too little?

bonebrake

Yeah six hours is way too short when all you have is power compact fluorescent lamps like us. I run my lights on a digital timer for 12 hours per day: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM and I run the moonlights 24/7.