DeMartini's 14G BioCube

bjoe23

Originally Posted by DeMartini
just google sea life inc. it should come up.
ok ill try it, thanks!

new2salt1

Ok here is my tank after 5 days. I could use some advice on closeups because I just bought this Canon A560 (7.1 megapixels) and I cant seem to get good close-ups.

new2salt1

So take the pic of my turtle for example. What mode on the Canon is best for close-ups? Or what technique do you use?

demartini

looks good!
I would wait till the parameters in your tank are stable before adding anything else and watch out for the rock on top; it looks like it could fall over.
cute turtle!
Try setting your camera to the macro setting ( flower symbol) that's how I take all my pictures.
You should start a tank diary, that way people could comment on your tank and give you more advice. =)

new2salt1

I have read at LEAST 5 websites in which people were trying to understand why elegance corals are rarely kept successfully in captivity these days. It's really interesting to me, cause my elegance seems to be so predictable. I took this pic 9 minutes after I turned off the lights and kept the lunar light on.

new2salt1

You'll notice in the dark, it doesn't even look like the same coral! With my general lack of experience, I dont know if a lot of corals do this, but Im pretty sure I will be able to tell if something is wrong with this guy. He is very cool.
Alot of sites say these guys dont like heavy lighting but he seems to open up HUUUUGE after 3-4 hours of light.
Is opening up fully a sign of thriving or no?

new2salt1

looks good!
I would wait till the parameters in your tank are stable before adding anything else and watch out for the rock on top; it looks like it could fall over.
cute turtle!
Try setting your camera to the macro setting ( flower symbol) that's how I take all my pictures.
You should start a tank diary, that way people could comment on your tank and give you more advice. =)
I did the water change last night and when I got up today the calc was back up to 380, the KH was down to 9, and the phosphates dropped to 2. So I added the Coral Banded today.
Oh and the rock LOOKS like it could fall, which is the beauty of it! The nooks in the 2 supporting rocks fit perfectly and when I set it up, I TRIED to knock it over and I couldn't. It fits very well, but good point nonetheless.
Yea, I will stop hi-jacking your thread.
Thanks again

demartini

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
You'll notice in the dark, it doesn't even look like the same coral! With my general lack of experience, I dont know if a lot of corals do this, but Im pretty sure I will be able to tell if something is wrong with this guy. He is very cool.
Alot of sites say these guys dont like heavy lighting but he seems to open up HUUUUGE after 3-4 hours of light.
Is opening up fully a sign of thriving or no?
A lot of corals change when the lights go out. Some corals stick out feeder tentacles while others shrink up.
Your lighting isn't very strong, so don't worry about having too much light for it.
fully opening up is good, but it doesn't guarantee that it's thriving. If you see any tissue recession or it stops opening up then there's definitely something wrong. Make sure you feed each mouth regularly. overall it looks really healthy now.

demartini

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
I did the water change last night and when I got up today the calc was back up to 380, the KH was down to 9, and the phosphates dropped to 2. So I added the Coral Banded today.
Oh and the rock LOOKS like it could fall, which is the beauty of it! The nooks in the 2 supporting rocks fit perfectly and when I set it up, I TRIED to knock it over and I couldn't. It fits very well, but good point nonetheless.
Yea, I will stop hi-jacking your thread.
Thanks again
everything looks good then!

new2salt1

A lot of corals change when the lights go out. Some corals stick out feeder tentacles while others shrink up.
Your lighting isn't very strong, so don't worry about having too much light for it.
fully opening up is good, but it doesn't guarantee that it's thriving. If you see any tissue recession or it stops opening up then there's definitely something wrong. Make sure you feed each mouth regularly. overall it looks really healthy now.
When you say "regularly," do you agree with this person? Under the heading "Feeding" he suggests a meaty treat once a week, but that it "requires no direct feeding."
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSh...ance_coral.htm

demartini

since you don't have fish you need to feed it directly. Turn off the pumps and then drop pieces of food near the mouth and it should close up on the food. I feed my corals about twice week. When you do get fish it will be able to eat some of the food you feed the fish, but I would still recommend spot feeding it at least once a week.

new2salt1

Ok cool. Is there a rule of thumb for which species of coral need to be fed directly?
Also, do you use a tool to get the food down to them? I try to stick my hands in my tanks as little as possible.

demartini

theres no rule of thumb, but almost any coral will benefit from being fed. You can feed just about any coral that has a mouth. Make sure to do your research before you buy a coral to find out if it has any special needs.
I use a small pipette to squirt the food towards the corals.

new2salt1

theres no rule of thumb, but almost any coral will benefit from being fed. You can feed just about any coral that has a mouth. Make sure to do your research before you buy a coral to find out if it has any special needs.
I use a small pipette to squirt the food towards the corals.
100% of the research. I always do. I just didn't have a chance to prepare for the BioCube since it was in a commercial building that was being vacated. I was shown it on a Tuesday and I had to pick it up on Thursday or it was all being taken to the LFS. $100 for tank, rock, 2 corals, I had to do it on a whim. But yea, the elegance woofed the shrimp down with no problem.