DeMartini's 14G BioCube

shogun323

Originally Posted by PettyHoe
Hey martini, I just recieved a large rock of xenia with about 10 polyps, do you think mysis and brine shrimp mixture would be good enough to feed them? Or do I need the cycopleeze? And they are sitting on top of a 29 G biocube, is that too much light? Thanks.
You dont need to worry about feeding your Xenia at all. It will be just fine and spreading out of control in no time!! Also, they love light so they will be fine up there.

N

nemo_66

Two Questions for ya' de...
*Do you worry about chemical warfare in your tank?
*Will your zoos close if they are in to high flow area?
Tank looks nice and i want to make one like it but im running out of room and i always worry if a coral touches.

pettyhoe

Nemo, I heard that if coral grows up to another, they won't sting each other, but if it is just placed there, its a different story.
Thanks shogun, I plan on placing rocks all around the xenia and just selling those back on a regular basis. Hope it works out.

bill109

Originally Posted by DeMartini
here ya go! my coco worm didn't come out today... I hope it's ok :(

amazing..
i think a see onie small space for a new coral... ont he bottom left side..
lol tht tank is awesome.. it is prolly one of the best looking nanos in history with those new rics. if you can get those guys to split you will be in busines..
good job
-bill109
btw whats tht hige circle coral in the top left corner

matiby

I got them at one of my LFS' in San Mateo
Would that be the one on El Camino a few blocks before Hillsdale mall?

demartini

yep! I go to ultimate aquarium alll the time because I live a couple blocks away from it.
thanks for the comments! I have been in the hobby for about 11 months.

matiby

yep! I go to ultimate aquarium alll the time because I live a couple blocks away from it.
thanks for the comments! I have been in the hobby for about 11 months.

Do you know of any other LFS in San Mateo?
Have you checked out Oceans Treasure in San Francisco? It's on Duboce and Valencia. I'm always stopping by Atlantis Aqaurium when I go to the Great Mall. There are alot of former Bay Area well known reefers making a come back into the hobby. Which is gonna make cherry picking alot more fun/exciting. Check out their site exoticreefs.us and zoafrags.
BTW, I see that you go to S.F State. Have you been to Aquatic Central on Ocean st? It's a decent store and they're expanding their coral and livestock section.

adairable

Hey hun, I have a quick advise question for you.....maybe not quick

i have the same tank and I HATE the bioballs....what a pain to clean them(therefore I have been slacking in that dept! oops) anywho, if I just take them out, can I just crush up one of my LRs that i think is ugly and put it back were the bioballs are? Should I fill it up as high as it was with the bioballs?
Also, that filter is the worst and so hard to find, my LFS never has it in stock and its wicked expensive...I think i read in one of your threads you just took yours out and use something in place of it.....???
Last question, where is your heater? :thinking:
Peace out!

bigwiz

hey
earlier in the thread you say you feed your corals at night when there feelers are out....by that do you mean when just your moon lights are on or what?

demartini

Originally Posted by Adairable
Hey hun, I have a quick advise question for you.....maybe not quick

i have the same tank and I HATE the bioballs....what a pain to clean them(therefore I have been slacking in that dept! oops) anywho, if I just take them out, can I just crush up one of my LRs that i think is ugly and put it back were the bioballs are? Should I fill it up as high as it was with the bioballs?
Also, that filter is the worst and so hard to find, my LFS never has it in stock and its wicked expensive...I think i read in one of your threads you just took yours out and use something in place of it.....???
Last question, where is your heater? :thinking:
Peace out!
Yea, you can just break up one of your rocks. Just dont make it too small. You can fill it up as much as you can.
I did take out my filter. I just added a small stip of filterfloss on top of the drip tray. You have to change it more often, but it's a lot cheaper than the chartridge. And then I added my heater to the first chamber.

demartini

Originally Posted by BigWiz
hey
earlier in the thread you say you feed your corals at night when there feelers are out....by that do you mean when just your moon lights are on or what?
Usually after the main lights are out and my moon lights are on, my corals will start sticking out there feeder tenticles and I will just squirt some food at them. But, some times I just feed them as I'm feeding my fish.

demartini

Originally Posted by MATIBY
Do you know of any other LFS in San Mateo?
Have you checked out Oceans Treasure in San Francisco? It's on Duboce and Valencia. I'm always stopping by Atlantis Aqaurium when I go to the Great Mall. There are alot of former Bay Area well known reefers making a come back into the hobby. Which is gonna make cherry picking alot more fun/exciting. Check out their site exoticreefs.us and zoafrags.
BTW, I see that you go to S.F State. Have you been to Aquatic Central on Ocean st? It's a decent store and they're expanding their coral and livestock section.
Theres Fish for You in San Mateo, but they aren't that good. I haven't gone to any fish stores in San Francisco, some time I will. I went to Atlantis Aquarium, but they are over priced. You should check out New Alameda Aquatics in Alameda. They have some nice corals at good prices.

mr.bled

hi there,
first off, I would like to tell you that I very much admire your aquarium.
I was just wondering if 2x65w in a 18 gal is enough lighting for me to keep most of those corals. or should I just stick with softies.
thank you.

gene80

It's been said before and I'll say it yet again... Beautiful tank! I've gotten back in the game and bought a new BioCube. Thanks for all of the detailed information.

adairable

Yea, you can just break up one of your rocks. Just dont make it too small. You can fill it up as much as you can.
I did take out my filter. I just added a small stip of filterfloss on top of the drip tray. You have to change it more often, but it's a lot cheaper than the chartridge. And then I added my heater to the first chamber.
You can get the filter floss in bulk at the LFS and then just cut it right? Do you change it/wash it every week?
What did you do with the sponge filter that is in the chamber on the far left, where you look at the water level?
BTW thanks for all your advice, its really appreciated!