Did Palin want Alaska to Sucede from the Nation?

jmick

This is beautiful

Political Animal) THE ALASKA INDEPENDENCE PARTY.... What may prove to be the single most damaging angle to Sarah Palin's role on the Republican Party ticket? There are quite a few contenders (ethics scandal, earmarks, inexperience, outside-the-mainstream views), but following up on Hilzoy's item from last night, Palin's association with the Alaska Independence Party might be the most politically detrimental.
It's practically impossible to make a "Country First" argument when your running mate is affiliated with a political party that puts country second.
Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which since the 1970s has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always."
Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.
"We are a state's rights party," Clark -- a self-employed goldminer -- tells ABC News. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations charter and international law."
For all the talk about Barack and Michelle Obama's patriotism, John McCain's running mate was a member of a political party that liked the idea of seceding from the United States altogether. It's the kind of idea that would have been more common in the 1850s.
Advocating secession is, practically by definition, un-American. How does the right go after Obama's patriotism while supporting a ticket with a candidate who joined a secessionist party?
We are, after all, talking about a party founded by a man who said, "I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions." The same man, AIP founder Joe Vogler, also said, "[T]he fires of Hell are glaciers compared to my hate for the American government."
How is this any better than Jeremiah Wright? Why would Sarah Palin voluntarily join this man's political party?
Complicating matters, Marc Ambinder has a video of a AIP leader explaining that party members "must 'infiltrate' -- his words -- the other two parties and push for the cause of Alaskan independence."
I suspect McCain and his aides didn't know about any of this. Indeed, they couldn't have -- they didn't vet her. But now that this revelation has come to light, what's the defense?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4407224.shtml

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Jmick
http:///forum/post/2744083
This is beautiful

Political Animal) THE ALASKA INDEPENDENCE PARTY.... What may prove to be the single most damaging angle to Sarah Palin's role on the Republican Party ticket? There are quite a few contenders (ethics scandal, earmarks, inexperience, outside-the-mainstream views), but following up on Hilzoy's item from last night, Palin's association with the Alaska Independence Party might be the most politically detrimental.
It's practically impossible to make a "Country First" argument when your running mate is affiliated with a political party that puts country second.
Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which since the 1970s has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always."
Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.
"We are a state's rights party," Clark -- a self-employed goldminer -- tells ABC News. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations charter and international law."
For all the talk about Barack and Michelle Obama's patriotism, John McCain's running mate was a member of a political party that liked the idea of seceding from the United States altogether. It's the kind of idea that would have been more common in the 1850s.
Advocating secession is, practically by definition, un-American. How does the right go after Obama's patriotism while supporting a ticket with a candidate who joined a secessionist party?
We are, after all, talking about a party founded by a man who said, "I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions." The same man, AIP founder Joe Vogler, also said, "[T]he fires of Hell are glaciers compared to my hate for the American government."
How is this any better than Jeremiah Wright? Why would Sarah Palin voluntarily join this man's political party?
Complicating matters, Marc Ambinder has a video of a AIP leader explaining that party members "must 'infiltrate' -- his words -- the other two parties and push for the cause of Alaskan independence."
I suspect McCain and his aides didn't know about any of this. Indeed, they couldn't have -- they didn't vet her. But now that this revelation has come to light, what's the defense?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4407224.shtml
I will grant you this point, from way back in the 1990's, if you acknowledge the friendship and relationship between your candidate and the terrorist william ayers.

jmick

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2744086
I will grant you this point, from way back in the 1990's, if you acknowledge the friendship and relationship between your candidate and the terrorist william ayers.
I have never claimed that Obama hasn't had a relationship with Ayers (how can you)? Keep in mind, they man was a terrorist with Obama was a small boy and is now a respected member of the community.

jmick

Do you think McCain did enough work before he made Palin his running mate or do you think it was forced on him? If I was a betting man I would have guessed that McCain would have picked Lieberman.

jerthunter

Of course she wants Alaska to succeed... She's the governer...
D'oh, you mean secede... hmmm.. well I suppose anyone can claim that anyone else supported their group... although I generally like to wait for some proof then just the words of a political group.

jerthunter

http:///forum/post/2744093
Do you think McCain did enough work before he made Palin his running mate or do you think it was forced on him? If I was a betting man I would have guessed that McCain would have picked Lieberman.

I think McCain picked her, not because it was forced on him, (if it was I can think of far more likely candidates to be forced on him), but because the pick, atleast in his mind, fits the image he has of himself. (i.e. an independent thinker)
Whether it was a good pick, a smart pick, or whatever. It was an interesting pick and I loved watching people's response when they were totally caught of guard about it.

kjr_trig

Wow, that's amazing....Wow, that makes me want to give more of my hard earned money to the government in taxes....Wow, seriously, you just changed my vote...Wow, I don't want to be a Republican anymore.....Wow, think I will vote for Obama now.....

jmick

In 2006 she attended an AIP convention and gave a speech--it doesn't appear that she has severed her ties with the party.
I hope she gets used to be called the *****

jerthunter

What gets me is the fact that I have yet to see any evidence that she was actually a member of this party... Just someone from said party, claiming that she was... So by the same note, I would like to say that all of the candidates, their familes, and supporters were members of my own party, the Jeremy party!. Of course I have nothing to back up this claim, but perhaps it deserves the attention of the national media. If you can't trust the word of some minor radical political group, who can you trust right?

pontius

http:///forum/post/2744093

It was a desperate man's blind stab at getting Hillary's PUMA voters and I don't see where any thought was put into this pick at all. The logical choice woud've been Romney, but word is that McCain doesn't like Romney. probably because of the fact that if Huckabee, Thompson, Giuliani, Paul, John Boy, Larry, Moe, and Curly would've stayed out of the primary, Romney would've destroyed McCain. but, the pool gets diluted down and McCain backs into the nomination and we get a firsthand look at his decision making process by his choice in VP runningmate.
don't get me wrong, I'm a registered Republican who does NOT want to see Obama as president. but McCain has made himself look like quite the moron with this pick.

rylan1

Looks like the story may be credible... out there on many different sources..
Has anyone seen th pic of her daughter boozing yet.... They are out there too... reminds you of a cross b/w Hanna Montana and the Nevada Miss USA

jerthunter

Breaking News.. Breaking News!!!
Obama talked to a republican! He can't be trusted..
McCain talked to a democrat... He can't be trusted..
How on the earth is having a governer speaking to a political group evidence that she is a member of said group. Isn't that what our politicians are supposed to do? Work together with people, even if they don't share all our beliefs, in an attempt to get things done.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by Rylan1
http:///forum/post/2744156
Has anyone seen th pic of her daughter boozing yet.... They are out there too... reminds you of a cross b/w Hanna Montana and the Nevada Miss USA
Oh no!!! its awful!! What are we going to do!!!
As far as the credibility, most of the stories now say that there is no evidence that she was ever a memeber of that party other then the word of one spokesman of the party... But again, if you can't trust the word of a politician, what can you trust?

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2744156
lol if the daily kos is credible
so is rolling stones and hef's rag...
That is like saying moveon.org is "unbiased"

rylan1

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
http:///forum/post/2744168
Oh no!!! its awful!! What are we going to do!!!
As far as the credibility, most of the stories now say that there is no evidence that she was ever a memeber of that party other then the word of one spokesman of the party... But again, if you can't trust the word of a politician, what can you trust?
I just find it an interesting turn of events... kinda like Edwards... of course it's different... but how conservative is she? Whats going on with her family, does she want Alaska to sucede? etc..etc... Just sounds like McCain camp didn't do homework... I guess they just sent a team of attorneys to Alaska to research.. and to lawyer her up for the current investigation.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2744192
I just find it an interesting turn of events... kinda like Edwards... of course it's different... but how conservative is she? Whats going on with her family, does she want Alaska to sucede? etc..etc... Just sounds like McCain camp didn't do homework... I guess they just sent a team of attorneys to Alaska to research.. and to lawyer her up for the current investigation.
what "current investigation?"