divorce

flower

The dogs (plural) growled at him... in his own home. This is completely unacceptable. Momma's defensive little lap dog? Understandable. They're kind of weird that way. Pit Bull Terrier and Great Dane? Not acceptable... not at all. The only dog I've ever owned that showed aggression towards me didn't live to tell it's friends about it. It's the one cardinal rule that cannot be broken in my home. I will not tolerate any aggression towards me or my family. Period. My wife is well aware of this rule, and knows the consequences of such an action. If your dog growls at you and you do not react to re-establish the pecking order, you are no longer in control.

Funny how a miserable relationship winds up being a debate over whether or not it's acceptable to kick growling dogs... o_O
100% agree on both counts...LOL.. it's the method of gaining control that is the debate. I wouldn't keep a pit bull or Great dane if it showed aggression...period. I would never trust the animal again
I agree and is why the little demon got re-homed.

We took it in temporarily for a girl who my wife worked with that lost her job and had to move rather abruptly.

I think the dog had some serious mental issues. And the girls boy friend was the abusive type. They kept it locked in its kennel in a bathroom the majority of the time.

If my wife wasn't home the dog was typically cool. I could pet it and it would lay by me. If my wife was home it was a whole other story. Like Doctor Jekyll and Mr hyde.

I could deal with the growling and snarling because if I tried to assert my "dominance" of the house hold the dog would react as though it was abused. So I left it alone. The day she turned and snipped at my wife was the day it got re-homed (humanely).

Our other dogs interestingly enough are a Dane (mix) and pit bull terrier (mix) both are rescues and can't get enough of our effection and time. Have never growled at either of us. Strangers are another story.

Moral of the story I think is if it ain't working for you then maybe it's time to try something different.

Dogs are part of the family, but we have to be smart and remember, a dog is after all, an animal, not a child. I must admit, I have never in all my years heard of an aggressive Great Dane. Same as the Saint Bernard, just big lovers... if a Great Dane decided to get mean, that would be one scary critter, and we all know horror stories of bit bulls, you never know which ones are the crazy ones. If a pit shows any aggression towards any of the household members, consider it a crazy dangerous dog. Jeff needs to rehome, or put down those animals ASAP. Kicking at those dogs may get him hurt or killed. Separating as Beth suggested, is good advice, but before he leaves, he should get rid of those dogs... the wife is in more danger then she knows...JMO

2quills

Dogs are part of the family, but we have to be smart and remember, a dog is after all, an animal, not a child.
I've met a kid or two in my day that I wouldn't have a hard time classifying as animals. Some of them could maybe use a swift kick in the pants as well.

I wouldn't put down a dog on the basis that it growled at someone in defense of one of its owners. Typically once a dog bites someone is when the law tends to step in on that regard. But we don't know the situation and it's probably not my business to speculate.

pegasus

the two most deadly dog breeds in America: pit bull terriers and rottweilers. Research from DogsBite.org shows that during the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, these two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the total recorded fatal human attacks.1 By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2014, a report by Animals 24-7 shows that pit bulls (307) and rottweilers (89) and their mixes contributed to 67% of the attacks resulting in human death.

German Shepard, Malamute, Husky, and Chow followed. I'll stick with my Doberman Pinshers...

deejeff0442

Update. 1st i will.say we are on our 2nd rottie both female she is the biggest wimp awesome dog ever even the 1st one. Both were just the best. My mastiff we are on our 2nd both were and are awesome. Now on to whats happening. I do believe the wife realized she was in the wrong. No apologies but she has been extra nice. This morning the dogs started barking and she got on them big time. She also said she wants to get rid of some animals. I did not bring it up she did. Maybe reality kicked in. I love my wife .really the only time we have an issue its always an animal thing.

pegasus

Update. 1st i will.say we are on our 2nd rottie both female she is the biggest wimp awesome dog ever even the 1st one. Both were just the best. My mastiff we are on our 2nd both were and are awesome. Now on to whats happening. I do believe the wife realized she was in the wrong. No apologies but she has been extra nice. This morning the dogs started barking and she got on them big time. She also said she wants to get rid of some animals. I did not bring it up she did. Maybe reality kicked in. I love my wife .really the only time we have an issue its always an animal thing.
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Let's hope she keeps it up...

flower

Yayyyy!!! That still does not take care of the aggressive dog issue, but I'm glad you guys are getting along.

darthtang aw

the two most deadly dog breeds in America: pit bull terriers and rottweilers. Research from DogsBite.org shows that during the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, these two dog breeds accounted for 74% of the total recorded fatal human attacks.1 By compiling U.S. and Canadian press accounts between 1982 and 2014, a report by Animals 24-7 shows that pit bulls (307) and rottweilers (89) and their mixes contributed to 67% of the attacks resulting in human death.

German Shepard, Malamute, Husky, and Chow followed. I'll stick with my Doberman Pinshers...
Dobermans were on that list in the 70s-80s.

flower

I actually knew a family with a Dobi that turned. Just out of the blue... the police had to shoot it. The man of the house had died a month earlier, his widow thought the dog just couldn't live without him. It was back in the 80s. I think it has something to do with breeding, that's why pit bull terriers are so bad, the gang bangers bred them to kill other dogs for fighting. So when family's rescue or purchase the breed, they have no idea what the background of the blood line is.

Any big dog that shows aggression to it's family is dangerous. Unless the animal is in pain... a sick or injured dog gets a pass if that's the case, otherwise it has just lost it's happy home if it were my dog. JMO

darthtang aw

I actually knew a family with a Dobi that turned. Just out of the blue... the police had to shoot it. The man of the house had died a month earlier, his widow thought the dog just couldn't live without him. It was back in the 80s. I think it has something to do with breeding, that's why pit bull terriers are so bad, the gang bangers bred them to kill other dogs for fighting. So when family's rescue or purchase the breed, they have no idea what the background of the blood line is.

Any big dog that shows aggression to it's family is dangerous. Unless the animal is in pain... a sick or injured dog gets a pass if that's the case, otherwise it has just lost it's happy home if it were my dog. JMO
Unless his name is Atticus and it is a paramedic the dog shows the aggression to. Then it is ok.

Your breeding comment is lacking in knowledge. Very few gangbangers own dogs. If breeding pitt bulls with pit bulls was the issue does that mean children of criminals are criminals because they were bred that way?

Last edited:

2quills

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

And yes temperment is a characteristic that can be bred down the line.

In regards to the pit bulls and rotties those were the two most popular dogs to own in Detroit back when I used to live around that area. Many people I knew either had one or the other. And in the inner city just about everyone had them.

When crime and robbery is a daily occurrence in those neighborhoods people wanted those dogs as a deterant. And most wanted them to be mean and scarey. Few people really took care of them or keep them secured in the yard. It became an epidemic to the point where most of the surrounding cities and townships made it illegal to own a pit.

Unfortunate for them because they can be some of the best types of dogs to own IMO. Loyal and obedient to the end.

deejeff0442

I have an english mastiff a rottie a german Shepard the pitt mix the great dane and a 40 pound mix mutt. My dogs crap bigger then most dogs are big. 4 out of 6 of them are rescue including the 2 that growled at me. Like its been said here we dont know all of their past. So i correct things as we go.
Ok now onto another wife issue.try to keep this short.my wife works with her best friend. Really the only friend she has.i have alot and i mean alot of friends. Weird how women dont make or keep friends after marriage. Anyway we go on couple dates with them way too much as far as i am concerned. I like her friends husband dont get me wrong. He is educated in engineering. Me and all my close friends are just high school all of us are bull workers. I run out of stuff to talk to him with in 20 minutes. He is a really good dude but just a different world. I keep going to these date nights but it aint my thing. I keep telling my wife not to keep doing things constantly with them .sooner or later one thing is going to go bad.it isnt happened yet but they arent family. I have alot of friends i mean alot like 100. Most would drop anything to come help me if i need it. Seriously. Mainly because i am honest and dont talk and do things with them all the time.maybe a few times a year

darthtang aw

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

And yes temperment is a characteristic that can be bred down the line.

In regards to the pit bulls and rotties those were the two most popular dogs to own in Detroit back when I used to live around that area. Many people I knew either had one or the other. And in the inner city just about everyone had them.

When crime and robbery is a daily occurrence in those neighborhoods people wanted those dogs as a deterant. And most wanted them to be mean and scarey. Few people really took care of them or keep them secured in the yard. It became an epidemic to the point where most of the surrounding cities and townships made it illegal to own a pit.

Unfortunate for them because they can be some of the best types of dogs to own IMO. Loyal and obedient to the end.
True, dogs can be bred for temperament. However aggression is not a result of temperament. Aggression is a result of upbringing.

If it was all breeding explain how Cesar Milan can have a pack of forty dogs, half of them previously aggressive pit bulls and not have a single one act aggressively towards another dog or human once brought into balance.

You also say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Yet a person brought into this world by two criminals can be raised by a foster family or adoptive parents and not become a criminal. If breeding places a large part this should not happen.

pegasus

Things have changed a lot since then. Dobermans are now bred for temperament more than aggression. They were originally bred to be attack dogs, with a high aggression level. Now days, it's more about intelligence and loyalty. I got my first one in the 70's, and have had at least one most of the years since. Not once have I had one to show aggression towards me or my family, and there was only one that I had to keep my eye on when a stranger came to our home. Key word... our home. I've had plenty of dogs that were "pets", but Dobermans are so much more. I can't describe it, and only those that have ever owned one (or more) can fully understand what I mean.

2quills

True, dogs can be bred for temperament. However aggression is not a result of temperament. Aggression is a result of upbringing.

If it was all breeding explain how Cesar Milan can have a pack of forty dogs, half of them previously aggressive pit bulls and not have a single one act aggressively towards another dog or human once brought into balance.

You also say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Yet a person brought into this world by two criminals can be raised by a foster family or adoptive parents and not become a criminal. If breeding places a large part this should not happen.
Your argument makes little sense. In a pack there's always going to be an alpha which is the most agressive. Whether or not the dog runs around like attacking others for no good reason is another story. Not everyone who has been covicted of criminal activity is necissarily an aggresive person. But establishing dominance is one of the most natural forms of aggresion.

It's not hard to be selective when attempting to breed specific traits. That doesn't mean that every offspring is going to be aggressive by nature. But the more and more the trait is fostered through selective breeding you can easily end up with more agressive breeds in general.

Not all labs make great hunting dogs. But the ones who have been selectively bred are much more likely to produce offspring with those traits.

What you're speaking about are the acceptions to the rule. Not the status quo.

deejeff0442

Cesar milon is a tv show.you really think when aggressive dogs go at it they would put that on tv? No way 40 dogs get along.throw a pile of food out there and see what happens

flower

Cesar milon is a tv show.you really think when aggressive dogs go at it they would put that on tv? No way 40 dogs get along.throw a pile of food out there and see what happens
I love that show, the guy really does manage to tame it seems, every aggressive dog he gets hold of (and he has been bitten), but there was one, that even he couldn't get to stop being aggressive over food, and dangerous to the family (they had a little child). He took it away to rehome. I also think the fellow makes the big bucks, and even if average folks could afford him, I don't think there are enough of his kind to help us all. My solution might seem cruel, since folks consider them family. However I'm not Cesar Milon, and most folks can't do the things he does. There is even a disclaimer on his show..."don't try this without professional help"....

Jeff, your large dogs have growled and showed teeth to you, they meant business, and in their eyes you are the lowest member in the pack to them. You are not safe, I don't care how strong you think you are. Ever actually see a large dog display dominance? That's what you would have to do to get those dogs to respect you, and they will fight you now to maintain their "perceived" status. A Pitt bull is nothing to sneeze at, and a Great Dane as his back up buddy... you have a big problem my friend.

deejeff0442

Since that happened and i yelled at them when it happened anytime they get near me they get out of the way. I mean even when they see me coming toward them they go hide.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no dog expert but I doubt I would put my pet dog down because he showed me their teeth. I would go in earnest to make them understand who the heck is boss, which it seems you seem to have accomplished.

flower

I'm no dog expert but I doubt I would put my pet dog down because he showed me their teeth. I would go in earnest to make them understand who the heck is boss, which it seems you seem to have accomplished.
Beth, It's a Pit bull and a Great Dane. A frightened dog is a dangerous dog. My Atticus is a fear biter, he isn't afraid of me, but he is of strangers. Jeff's dogs are obviously afraid of him, he was arguing with his wife and they felt threatened too. Those dogs will turn on him in a heart beat, they have each other as back up, and Pit bulls are known for it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a little foolhardy about animals probably. Remember, I have 3 pythons. When my son visited last yr, he arrived late at night and we were unpacking the car. One of the neighbors down the street has two pits. They got out and ended up in my yard barking and snarling at us as we unpacked the car. We both just went about our business and I scolded the barking dogs until they finally left.

deejeff put the dogs in their place and that is all that is needed, I feel anyway. I will say that I would feel a bit different with kids in the house. I do think that showing animals fear is probably a mistake. Pet dogs really do just want to be pet dogs, not ferocious beasts. Pits have only recently been bread for fighting and aggression. It takes more than a few decades to utterly change the dna of an animal. Those dogs that have been fighting probably are a danger and need to be handled extremely careful if they are given new homes; but overall, I don't think they are just born killers. I've actually heard that pits can be one of the best dog-pets around. Very loving and loyalty unmatched.