divorce

darthtang aw

Your argument makes little sense. In a pack there's always going to be an alpha which is the most agressive. Whether or not the dog runs around like attacking others for no good reason is another story. Not everyone who has been covicted of criminal activity is necissarily an aggresive person. But establishing dominance is one of the most natural forms of aggresion.

It's not hard to be selective when attempting to breed specific traits. That doesn't mean that every offspring is going to be aggressive by nature. But the more and more the trait is fostered through selective breeding you can easily end up with more agressive breeds in general.

Not all labs make great hunting dogs. But the ones who have been selectively bred are much more likely to produce offspring with those traits.

What you're speaking about are the acceptions to the rule. Not the status quo.
This is where you are wrong. The alpha dog is not typically the aggressive one. Most alba dogs need not be aggressive. Because they are the alpha. The alpha keeps others in line with just a look or body language. Your aggressive dogs are usually what I would classify as beta dogs. Unsure of situations and dont understand the best way to handle things. Aggressive dogs are also 95% of the time Unneutered or Unspayed. Spay and nuetering can cause other issues later in life. However when it comes to aggressive behavior it greatly reduces the chance of aggression. In the last ten years all dog mailings and killings by pit bulls have been done so by intact pit bulls.

darthtang aw

Cesar milon is a tv show.you really think when aggressive dogs go at it they would put that on tv? No way 40 dogs get along.throw a pile of food out there and see what happens
Cesar Milan is not just a tv. And anyone that is fool enough to
A. Feed dogs from the same pile

b. Leave food readily available for dogs to feed from anytime they want.

Is asking for a dog fight to occur.

darthtang aw

Jeff, when the dogs growled at you were you arguing with your wife or displaying aggressive behavior of your own towards her? Raised voice, animated gestures, outward showing of anger?

If that is the case. Your wife is viewed as alpha and the dogs did not like the challenging of the alpha (your wife). This is not aggressive behavior on the dogs part but showing support for the alpha. Instead of yelling at you your wife should have admonished the dogs immediately. This would let the dogs know it is none of their business.

darthtang aw

Does she spend a lot of time in there? And does she normally allow the dogs in the room with her? Main reason I ask is because I still don't view their action as open aggression on the level flower makes it out to be.

2quills

This is where you are wrong. The alpha dog is not typically the aggressive one. Most alba dogs need not be aggressive. Because they are the alpha. The alpha keeps others in line with just a look or body language. Your aggressive dogs are usually what I would classify as beta dogs. Unsure of situations and dont understand the best way to handle things. Aggressive dogs are also 95% of the time Unneutered or Unspayed. Spay and nuetering can cause other issues later in life. However when it comes to aggressive behavior it greatly reduces the chance of aggression. In the last ten years all dog mailings and killings by pit bulls have been done so by intact pit bulls.
You mean alphas don't need to be agressive because they've already proven they can be the most agressive in situations where they have to be.

Like I said, dogs can tend to be agressive by nature but it doesn't mean they go around attacking others for no good reason.

Pit bulls as a breed were bred for this very perpose. When was the last time you saw a non nutered poodle wrestle a bull for its owner in hopes of getting a little food and recognition?

darthtang aw

You mean alphas don't need to be agressive because they've already proven they can be the most agressive in situations where they have to be.

Like I said, dogs can tend to be agressive by nature but it doesn't mean they go around attacking others for no good reason.

Pit bulls as a breed were bred for this very perpose. When was the last time you saw a non nutered poodle wrestle a bull for its owner in hopes of getting a little food and recognition?
No. I mean alphas aren't aggressive. They have already established their dominance in other ways. If Alphas were the most aggressive dogs then dog parks across the country would have major dog fights on a daily basis. Because every family with one or more dogs owns an alpha dog in their household. These alphas go to the dog park and intermingle with no issues normally.

and the Rhodesian ridgeback was bred to hunt and kill lions. Your point about why they were bred having the impact on their aggressive behavior falls short when one compares the other breeds and the violent reasons behind their breeding.

2quills

No. I mean alphas aren't aggressive. They have already established their dominance in other ways. If Alphas were the most aggressive dogs then dog parks across the country would have major dog fights on a daily basis. Because every family with one or more dogs owns an alpha dog in their household. These alphas go to the dog park and intermingle with no issues normally.

and the Rhodesian ridgeback was bred to hunt and kill lions. Your point about why they were bred having the impact on their aggressive behavior falls short when one compares the other breeds and the violent reasons behind their breeding.
Dude, Cesar disagrees with you. That's all I gotta say.

Ridgebacks weren't used to kill lions. They held lions at bay or distracted them while their owners killed them. And no the ones used to do it are not for adoption at your local pet store. Your comparison proves nothing against my argument.

https://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-millan/cesars-blog/the-most-dangerous-dog

darthtang aw

Dude, Cesar disagrees with you. That's all I gotta say.

Ridgebacks weren't used to kill lions. They held lions at bay or distracted them while their owners killed them. And no the ones used to do it are not for adoption at your local pet store. Your comparison proves nothing against my argument.

https://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-millan/cesars-blog/the-most-dangerous-dog

Lmao! You didn't read the article did you?

"Now I have a question for you: What do you think is the most dangerous dog in the world?

If you answered a specific breed — any breed — then you’re wrong. "

"The most important part of the equation is not the dog’s breed or the dog’s past. It’s the human Pack Leader involved."

"
When we first brought dogs into our human packs thousands of years ago we made a promise that still holds when we adopt a dog today: to help the dog live a happy, balanced life by letting it be a dog. There are no troubled breeds. That’s a myth. A dog’s misbehavior begins and ends with us."

So where exactly did Cesar disagree with me?

Touching on the ridgeback.....a dog that kept a lion at bay and lived had to be pretty aggressive in that moment. Don't you think?

2quills

Lmao! You didn't read the article did you?

"Now I have a question for you: What do you think is the most dangerous dog in the world?

If you answered a specific breed — any breed — then you’re wrong. "

"The most important part of the equation is not the dog’s breed or the dog’s past. It’s the human Pack Leader involved."

"
When we first brought dogs into our human packs thousands of years ago we made a promise that still holds when we adopt a dog today: to help the dog live a happy, balanced life by letting it be a dog. There are no troubled breeds. That’s a myth. A dog’s misbehavior begins and ends with us."

So where exactly did Cesar disagree with me?

Touching on the ridgeback.....a dog that kept a lion at bay and lived had to be pretty aggressive in that moment. Don't you think?

No you're taking the article out of context. Cesar is referring to learned behavior.

Ofcorse those ridgebacks were agressive, they stared lions for crying out loud. Why do you think they used that type of dog?

Dauschound, for instance are an agressive breed and responsible for the most bites on humans for small breeds. Is it all because of learned behavior or is there something in the genetics that makes them more prone to agression?

darthtang aw

how did I take it out of context? It is exact quotes.

What exactly do you think Cesar is saying that differs from my stance?

He clearly states it is learned behavior not breed type that dictates the issue.

Yet ridgebacks with that type of aggression "bred" into them don't have the issues of aggression that are "bred" into pit bulls. See my point. It isn't breeding.

2quills

how did I take it out of context? It is exact quotes.

What exactly do you think Cesar is saying that differs from my stance?

He clearly states it is learned behavior not breed type that dictates the issue.

Yet ridgebacks with that type of aggression "bred" into them don't have the issues of aggression that are "bred" into pit bulls. See my point. It isn't breeding.

Of course, I've seen your point the hole time. You feel that everything is a learned behavior and none of it has to do with breeding. Cesar, was speaking about learned behavior in regards to the MOST DANGEROUS dogs (to humans). While I would never argue that there isn't a point to that you seem to feel that it's the only thing that makes a dog aggressive and I simply disagree.

You can't compare ridgebacks with pitbulls. They aren't nearly as popular. If everyone in the hood had one then I'm sure you'd be hearing about it. Just like small dogs account for the most bites but the majority of them don't get reported or cause serious injury.

I mean if you want to get technical then Dachshunds are easily or more aggressive than most Pits since they bite more people. And ridgebacks that have been bred down the line to be marketed as family dogs I'm sure have selected for a more mild temperment. But you can't compare a working/hunting dog like that with a family pet because in order for them to become good hunters/workers they must not be treated/handled the way a family pet typically would. That comes as a result of learned behavior or controlled aggression. Even then, from what I've read about working ridgebacks they aren't recommended as a family pet either. Otherwise I'm sure my pit/mix gets along with people just as well as any of em.

BTW, this thread is now about mashed potatoes. What kind of mashed potatoes do you like?

gemmy

Cesar Milan is a joke in my opinion.

Does anyone know what "pit bulls" were bred for?

Does anyone know why "pit bulls" maintain the statistic for most dog bites?

Also, does anyone realize that the info on dogsbite.org is very much skewed?

Any animal with teeth can bite. Any pet can be raised to be aggressive. It is about the owners and raising the pets properly.

darthtang aw

Cesar Milan is a joke in my opinion.

Does anyone know what "pit bulls" were bred for?

Does anyone know why "pit bulls" maintain the statistic for most dog bites?

Also, does anyone realize that the info on dogsbite.org is very much skewed?

Any animal with teeth can bite. Any pet can be raised to be aggressive. It is about the owners and raising the pets properly.

What makes Cesar a joke?

I am not sure if your other two questions are serious question. So will refrain from answering.

As to your last comment, raising the pet properly is a relative statement. As with raising children there are many differing opinions and no defined manual on what is the proper way.

deejeff0442

Well.this.got.crazy lol. Here.there.has been no more.issues. i showed them who is boss and it worked. Imo any dog can be aggressive. On another note i stained my house floor

Attachments

gemmy

What makes Cesar a joke?

I am not sure if your other two questions are serious question. So will refrain from answering.

As to your last comment, raising the pet properly is a relative statement. As with raising children there are many differing opinions and no defined manual on what is the proper way.
I do not agree with Cesar's training. I feel that it teaches people the wrong way to train their dogs. I strongly feel that are better ways to train dogs and I have spoken at length with educated people on this, These people include vets, animal behaviorists, and accredited dog trainers.

Dogsbite.org is a biased website that was started by a woman who was bit by a dog. This woman still holds grudge.

As far as the statistics for dog bites, many are labeled as pit bull bites because the dogs are just broadly identified as pit bulls. Many are in fact not pit bulls. The statistics on dog bites by breeds cannot be trusted.

darthtang aw

I do not agree with Cesar's training. I feel that it teaches people the wrong way to train their dogs. I strongly feel that are better ways to train dogs and I have spoken at length with educated people on this, These people include vets, animal behaviorists, and accredited dog trainers.

Dogsbite.org is a biased website that was started by a woman who was bit by a dog. This woman still holds grudge.

As far as the statistics for dog bites, many are labeled as pit bull bites because the dogs are just broadly identified as pit bulls. Many are in fact not pit bulls. The statistics on dog bites by breeds cannot be trusted.

Concerning Cesar I can agree to an extent. Being in the industry as long as I have, i see the different aspects of multiple training techniques and see when one might work better than another based on the situation. No single training method in my opinion is better than the other. It depends on to many factors. Much like the dog foods there is no one size fits all method. I have been to multiple types of training seminars and see the benefits and shortcomings in each of them. I think what bothers people most about Cesar is his outlook. We "americans" have a tendancy to humanize our pets. Which can be detrimental in some cases.

You are correct about dogsbite.org. They only use news stories to track incidents as well.

In most data collections any dog that resembles or is part pitbull is classified as such when it comes to aggressive acts or behavior. No other breed has this happen during categorization. Shepard mixes fall in the mix/mutt category. Boxer mixes sometimes get. Lassitude as "bully breed" which is then viewed as a pit bull. Lol. As with anything, the data is done in such a way as to get the desired result.

flower

Concerning Cesar I can agree to an extent. Being in the industry as long as I have, i see the different aspects of multiple training techniques and see when one might work better than another based on the situation. No single training method in my opinion is better than the other. It depends on to many factors. Much like the dog foods there is no one size fits all method. I have been to multiple types of training seminars and see the benefits and shortcomings in each of them. I think what bothers people most about Cesar is his outlook. We "americans" have a tendancy to humanize our pets. Which can be detrimental in some cases.

You are correct about dogsbite.org. They only use news stories to track incidents as well.

In most data collections any dog that resembles or is part pitbull is classified as such when it comes to aggressive acts or behavior. No other breed has this happen during categorization. Shepard mixes fall in the mix/mutt category. Boxer mixes sometimes get. Lassitude as "bully breed" which is then viewed as a pit bull. Lol. As with anything, the data is done in such a way as to get the desired result.
What has this got to do with mashed potatoes...? I just had to say it.

deejeff0442

it just mean this thread got off subject sort of. Anyway its cool. The wife and i are doing great. She has since put in the effort to make me happier and pretty sure she finally realized what i deal with at home and work. Being stuck in an rv for almost 3 yrs hasnt helped. But i expect to be in this house by the end of October. That will really help since the rv keeps having issues with everything like hot water and ac units. It will be so nice to have all new appliances a kitchen to actually make dinner at. Air conditioning and real heat plus hot water without having to go lite the burner outside the rv.not to mention alot more room.

pegasus

it just mean this thread got off subject sort of. Anyway its cool. The wife and i are doing great. She has since put in the effort to make me happier and pretty sure she finally realized what i deal with at home and work. Being stuck in an rv for almost 3 yrs hasnt helped. But i expect to be in this house by the end of October. That will really help since the rv keeps having issues with everything like hot water and ac units. It will be so nice to have all new appliances a kitchen to actually make dinner at. Air conditioning and real heat plus hot water without having to go lite the burner outside the rv.not to mention alot more room.
I wasn't aware of the rv deal. No wonder there was so much friction! You were always under her feet, so she put you to work building stuff outside. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, so a house with several rooms will make a lot of difference. Even happily married couples need their space...