diy acrylic overflow on glass?

sleasia

If you don't laugh I will show you my stand so far...can you all check it for me before I do any final glueing and screwing it together in case there is something messed up? Also I'm not sure I get how everyone has made doors?
Are you routing the edges of planks? Or are you glueing/nailing, molding around the edge of plywood? If it is plywood, how thick of pieces are you using??? What should I do for my doors. I will have doors around three sides, and the back I will probably "skin" with plywood since its against the wall.

bojik

Glad it worked.
Looks good so far. Many ways you can build stands. Instead of doors perhaps afix the side pannels with helicoils and screws?

bojik

Thought of something that might be found benifitial. DO you have plans for plumbing behind the overflow acrylic? A threaded PCV elbow with a short pipe

[hr]
in the bulkhead with a peice of pipe and a strainer on top will make it MUCH quieter. THough it might slow the flow a little. Though you can get a reducing threaded bushing on pipe

[hr]
and upsize the PVC and elbow. It wasn't mentioned if you where doing something like that or not. Thought i'd toss that out there for ya.

sleasia

Crox...I was thinking you might tell me how to make my doors when I pick up the live rock....
Bojik I think you are talking about something similar to the durso drain? I had been wondering if I should do that..there are a few threads about it and looks easy enough . Also re these screw things...I have a bunch of threaded inserts in the pottery studio which I was going to use for cabinet nobs, and I never used them...they could work...but I would think I should just make hinged doors like regular cabinets since I may need such frequent access it will become a pain to keep unscrewing the panels. It looks like I am going to have to use the router again...this time I think I will get a neighbor to tighten the bit!!
Anyway hopefully the stand will be finished this weekend.

sleasia

forgot to mention that I left the water in the tank...and still no leaks through the overflow...

bojik

Originally Posted by sleasia
Crox...I was thinking you might tell me how to make my doors when I pick up the live rock....
Bojik I think you are talking about something similar to the durso drain? I had been wondering if I should do that..there are a few threads about it and looks easy enough . Also re these screw things...I have a bunch of threaded inserts in the pottery studio which I was going to use for cabinet nobs, and I never used them...they could work...but I would think I should just make hinged doors like regular cabinets since I may need such frequent access it will become a pain to keep unscrewing the panels. It looks like I am going to have to use the router again...this time I think I will get a neighbor to tighten the bit!!
Anyway hopefully the stand will be finished this weekend.
Well if you did use them you could put magnets on the panels. And do sorta like this guy did with his metal stand. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/231319/1st-time-diy-stand-pics

sleasia

Well , I have the practice bent up clear piece I'm not going to use and I have two small black pieces...If you need them I'll send them to you, not going to use them....
also stay tuned...I made doors!!! I...made doors? can't beleive it...I used 1/2: mpf board, which I hope will hold up...I couldn't find wood panels wide enough and didn't know how plywood would look routed... :thinking: ...since I have to paint the stand anyway, I figured the mpf wouldn't be a big issue....So my stand is almost done...just needs some molding and paint... :cheer: :

bojik

Originally Posted by sleasia
Well , I have the practice bent up clear piece I'm not going to use and I have two small black pieces...If you need them I'll send them to you, not going to use them....
also stay tuned...I made doors!!! I...made doors? can't beleive it...I used 1/2: mpf board, which I hope will hold up...I couldn't find wood panels wide enough and didn't know how plywood would look routed... :thinking: ...since I have to paint the stand anyway, I figured the mpf wouldn't be a big issue....So my stand is almost done...just needs some molding and paint... :cheer: :
Was thinking of making a small over flow thing like that to hide a pump to a custom filter/skimmer box i have in the making still. I figured it would make a nice pre-skimmer. But i've not bent plexi before or have the torch to do so. How big are the black scraps?
Got pictures of your current progress? If you want a realy smooth shiney finish to the stand sand it with moist wet sandpaper 500-1k grit between paint coats and whipe it dry with a no lent cloth. Do the same with the layers of clear coat.
edit: right as i post you put the picturesLOL

sleasia

You beat me to the post, here are pics of my scrap. the clear practice overflow is about 18" tall . one side is 6 1/2" wide and the other side is 13 3/4" wide. then there is a clear piece which is 8" x 18 3/4". then two black pieces one is 5 1/4" x 23 3/4" and the other is 3 3/4" x 18 1/4". If you need them you can have them free. like I say I have no use for them now... If nothing else you could practice bending them with the torch...or routing. Let me know. email sleasia@comcast.net

acrylic51

Stand looks good........
The 2x4's are stronger on end then laying flat as you have them up top.....No big deal, because your house will fall down before your stand will......Very good use of cripple studs!!!!!!!

sleasia

I never used a level, and guess what, its level!!! This is why there must be a god...what else explains that?