diy acrylic overflow on glass?

bojik

Originally Posted by sleasia
I never used a level, and guess what, its level!!! This is why there must be a god...what else explains that?

Precise cuts and good clamps. Maybe a little divine intervention once in a while.

acrylic51

I never used a level, and guess what, its level!!! This is why there must be a god...what else explains that?

crox

I already told you that you can build my next stand!!!

bojik

Thanks everyone, Like I said, you all have created a monster...

Not too worried yet. you've not developed gills JUST yet.

sleasia

I burned out on my stand for awhile, because I was a little afraid to paint it ...But I finally primed it and put molding around the doors. I am also making some decorative tiles to put on the doors, probably one per door. I should be finished painting it tomarrow, and the tiles will probably be fired, glazed, and glued on by wed or thursday. It takes awhile because they have to dry, then get fired for 7-24 hours twice...once for bisque and once for glaze.

phixer

Looks good. Have you ever tried heating strips to bend acrylic? The heat is more evenly distributed than a torch and will not produce bubbles. Ive only used them on 1/2 and less but they work great.

phixer

Whats a helicoil?
Its a thread replacement tool used to replaced the female threads. For example you thread a bolt into a hole and overtighten it and strip the threads in the hole. A Helicoil could be used to replace the threads in the stripped hole.

acrylic51

Looks super good......Did a nice job on the overflow, and like the tiles as well.....Pic of my new overflow cover since I left the other sitting in the garage and got run over by my bike......Yes acrylic benders do work nicer than a torch, but the price isn't for everyone unless you plan on doing alot of acrylic work....my 4' heater set me back almost $400.00......

sleasia

phixer...I don't know what you mean by "heating strips"? sounds like it might be a better way?
acrylic 51...
your overflow puts mine to shame...some of my cuts are pretty crooked....not nearly as clean as yours...but mine will still work. Nice job!!!

acrylic51

I cheat
.....I use a dovetail jig to get straight cuts on my teeth......That and a trim laminate router from Harbor Freight.....

bojik

Originally Posted by acrylic51
I cheat
.....I use a dovetail jig to get straight cuts on my teeth......That and a trim laminate router from Harbor Freight.....
What i woulda done :D, or a slot jig on a table saw. Who say's cheaters never prosper ;)

acrylic51

Table saws work, but unless you have the right blades which aren't cheap and you don't get alot of cuts out of them to tedious for me......It also helps both of my good friends own an acrylic business as well.....

bojik

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Table saws work, but unless you have the right blades which aren't cheap and you don't get alot of cuts out of them to tedious for me......It also helps both of my good friends own an acrylic business as well.....
1/4" is cut easily with a standard saw blade.

acrylic51

It's all easy to cut with a standard blade.......It's about feed rate when cutting......If you think 1/4" is easy with a standard blade cut it with a quality acrylic blade......like a hot knife in butter and very little if any clean up of edges.....a quick swipe on the jointer......

sleasia

Yep...that's definately cheating...
I'll show pics of finished stand tomarrow...love my stand!!! Also I have worked on hiding the plumb to basement pvc in family room...came up with a wild plan. Plumbing the new tank is on hold a bit since I am broke right now...Aslo can I use unions with a ball valve just as nicely as a "union ball valve"...the union ball valves are not cheap...for some reason, alot more than just buying a union and a ball valve separately :notsure: .

phixer

phixer...I don't know what you mean by "heating strips"? sounds like it might be a better way?
acrylic 51...
your overflow puts mine to shame...some of my cuts are pretty crooked....not nearly as clean as yours...but mine will still work. Nice job!!!

These things are great for bending acrylic.

acrylic51

Yep you can use unions in conjunction with the ball valves.....they are a bit more expensive that way.......Did you check out the prices of the double union ball valves as well???? Really pricey at Lowes and HD.....There are cheaper places to get plumbing supplies if you don't need it like yesterday......Savko and AquaticEco are another good source......Savko would be cheaper though....

sleasia

phixer...hmm, I'll have to get one of those and try it out...cool
acrylic 51 I'm in no hurry so I will check out savko and order them....