DIY Live Rocks

hckycoz

zman,
i'm sure we do use the same lfs. but the illinois side of he river doesnt have too much to choose from.

zman1

Yep your correct... the one in Highland opened another in Fairview... then closed the one in Highland. The owner Valco is a little over bearing and I don't think he is doing so well in the new high rent distict. He has only SW now, dropped the FW line he used to have in Highland.
There were two in Edwardsville. The older one closed after remodel and the other is moving next to Sharkys pool hall in Collinsville in the next month or so.
Also, been to the one in Hazelwood mostly on the annual open house, their SW area is weak but the warehouse is huge. One trip there they must have had 200+ snail shells in a
20 gal and I mean shells........
If your birth date is correct, then you and my yougest son are the same age (within a few months anyway).
-Z I live in Madison county as well.

hckycoz

which store is moving next to sharkys? FISH? well if you could help me out it would be really appreciated. I do not have a sw tank yet. so far its only fw. I'm makin the rocks now cause i plan on buying the new tank soon. IF you could keep your eye out for a 125+ gallon tank for under $300 that would be great. thanks a ton guys

zman1

Yes "Fish" Actually his business name is not "FISH" but that's the only sign he has -

Part two will do If I see it.

bronco300

so,hope ya dont get upset, i just want to make sure i understand completely.... i have a 75 i want to set up in about 1.5yrs...so i thought this would be a god thing to start so they could be ready by then....ya think? but anyways, so let me see if this is right...you use Play sand as the mold, any special type of sand??? type II Portland sand, if possible, if not, type I?? and that is made by quikcrete, or is there something else? oyster shells,crushed coral...anything specific, type wise..do these things just give the texture? and then regular water...
the process is to put the sand into a rubbermaid box...dampen the sand and mold it to whatever shape ya want, mix your concrete with the shells,water...then pour in mold, cover it with more sand...cover???and then let it sit for a few days? I've heard someone talk about using macarroni or other pasta to make some nice holes because it dissolves, that true? then one more...when you put the mix into the mold...is the top goin to be flat always...or is the mix goin to be gravy enough to make it shaped as well? anything else need to be done to make it? thanks for your help!!!!i really appreciate it!
Luke P :happyfish

hckycoz

-no portland is the type of cement. for the sand i just grabbed any ole bag from home depot or walmart.
-try to find pure portland cement (if possible) quikcrete is the brand that i used. (try to get a higher number ie. I, II, III.
-I just used oyster shells i picked up at a farming store. (yes it gives it the pourous look and feel)
- Just plain tap water.
-yes put it in a BIG ENOUGH rubbermaid container and dampen till the sand is moist enough to hold a shape
-yes you will have to get your hands dirty but scoope the mixture into the molds and I covered it with more damp sand
-Let it set for about a week (no less) then carefully pull the rocks from the sand
-yes pasta and macaroni will disolve but i didnt use any and my rocks look just fine
-no the top will not be flat. you will find this out when you mix the ingredients. its not at all runny or anything like that. By pouring the sand on top it will help make sure the top is not flat
-really dont get upset cause its hard to make the shapes you want at first. but now im on my fifth batch and i think i got the hang of it.
-you will also have to change the amounts accordingly. i didnt like my first batch so i kept trying new formulas. I started out at 4cups shells, 1 cup water, 1cup cement. then i changed it accordingly.

hckycoz

well its been 7 days since my second batch and the rock is still flaking off. anybody got any ideas?

bronco300

:happyfish so what do you mean by a BIG ENOUGH container??? just something that has enough sand in it to hold the mold? so what have you all found as the best mixture? i'm pretty excited about trying this out..so ten leave it in the mold for a week...then what after that? do i need to leave it outside or drying somewhere else? or start the curing process? thanks
Luke P

hckycoz

-a big enough container simply means a container that will house a rock or rocks you are pleased with in regards to size.
-So far my favorite is a 4:1 shells to cement mixture because the others are still in the sand. I'm not too pleased with it tho.
-After a week i ran a hose vey gently over them to remove excess sand and i put them in an extra tank full of water. They will sit in the water for at least 6 weeks with complete water changes every other day. (to lower ph levels)
-my whole set up is in my basement. i just take them from the sand and set them on the floor for a day or two and then put them in the extra tank. ( you could evn use bowls or something large enough.

shiby1510

what kind of cement are you using... ratios... how are you molding them... when you pull them out are they completely dry?

bronco300

could i just put water in my 75 gallon and let them cure in there? what do i need in the tank for the curing? heater, filter? and how much of these rocks would you use in comparison to real live rock for a 75 gallon? 1/2 and 1/2?
Luke P.

shiby1510

I'm not really sure what you are saying about the 75 g... u can essentially cure them anywhere... rubbermaid tub or anything like that... with freshwater for about 6-8wks and salt for 2 wks... dump water out and get new once a week...
no heater or filter is necessary.. its just curing rock... i guess you could use a ph for water movement

bronco300

sorry, i meant the 75 gallon that i will be setting up in a year and a half...could i put the rock in the tank until i needed to set it up? it wouldnt leave anything hazardous in it or something? make sense? thanks
Luke P

hckycoz

my ratios are 4:1 and i'm using the quikcrete portland I.
when i pull them out they seem completely dry.
the molds are arches and they aren't breaking but flaking off at the sides

shiby1510

Bronco - yes this should not be a problem whatsoever... only thing i may say is depending on how much you have and all it may take less water just to fill up some big rubbermaids.. although if you wanted to see your aquascape it wouldnt be a bad idea.. but either way it should be fine.
hckycoz - it is the quikrete... no doubt .... you may have a little flake... not everything is gonna mold.. some few loose on the ends.. but like i said before quikrete is absolutely no good... you could try 3:1 most base rock you make should be 3:1.. it's not as pourous but it is stronger... 4:1 will be more pourous... all my rock is actually 3:1 because when I was making it 4:1 just seemed like there was way too many oyster shells and that the cement wouldn't be able to stick... 3:1 is still pourous tho.. w/o a doubt... I have bristle worms and all kinds of stuff living in my diy rock.. I have also seen corraline beginning to grow on some pieces!!! and my tank has only been up for 8 weeks... diy rock rocks!!! but like i said quikrete... ugh!! sorry to tell you that

and for anyone else making diy rock... for a faster cure... cure in vinegar for 12 hrs first.. then put it in the water :yes:

hckycoz

heres a completely off the subject question. I want to get the other kinda cement but how do you get rid o 90 #s of quikcrete? You cant exactly put it in the trash

bronco300

so what cement should you get, if not the quikcrete brand? i'll have to look around my area to see if there is anything i could get...you say a place that makes concrete would be the best to go through? i have a few concrete contractors...what would i ask them if they could help me out? and if they couldnt...would any other stores sell what i need??
Luke P.

thegrog

Sigh.....I've said it before and I'll say it yet again.
Quikrete brand portland cement is the same as a different brand of portland cement. Been using it for a while with no problems. The problem if it is flaking off lies elsewhere.
Perhaps with the shells you are using. Are they really, really dusty? If so, this may be causing the breakoffs. If they are really dusty, give them a quick rinse and let them dry before using. You can always expect a little flaking from the peices you make. Little bits from the edges, but this stops quickly.
As for using the tank to cure them in, I would be hesitant to do so for a few reasons. First is that you may accidentally damage the tank with the rocks moving them around. Rubbermaids are cheap, tanks are not. Secondly the pH of curing rocks gets really high. I have recorded a pH as high as 12.4 (which is close to drain cleaner)!!!! Tanks were not designed for this. The glass is totally fine but I would worry about the silicone seals being weakened in some way. Probably would have no effect, but I am just overly cautious that way. I would spend the extra $8 on rubbermaids and use them.
As for using your hands to mix the concrete, I would do so with caution. Get some latex gloves. Raw cement can potentially cause chemical burns in sensitive individuals....not to mention it will really dry out your skin. Some people will be fine, others will not. I err on the side of caution as my hands are basically my career.
I have two large batches that are nearly ready to go. I'll be switching out the water to salt water later this week. I'll take pics of them to show how my QUIKRETE rocks look!

thegrog

Here is another one of my early DIY rocks. I used a 3:1 ratio (Quikrete Portland type I to crushed oyster shells). Came out a little to solid, but just fine. As you can see, lots growing on it and it looks like a normal live rock that you would buy!!