DIY Live Rocks

thegrog

Originally Posted by hckycoz
so grog you mean that you used 3 parts cement and 1 part shells or did you have that backwards?
Oops. Brain fart.
3 parts shells and 1 part cement for that rock.
I have found that a 7:2 ratio (or 3-1/2 : 1) of shells to cement gives strong yet porous rocks.

shiby1510

Just ask them for portland cement... preferably higher than I... so try to get II or III
quikrete is premixed that is why it is called quikrete.. there is sand and whatnot in it... pure portland does not have this.

shiby1510

another idea to do is.. when mixing.. use a paint mixer.. the ones that attach to your drill.. it works wonders... especially for big batches!! :yes:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Another good info-thread that I'd like to add to the Archieves. Any more picture additions would be cool.

bronco300

so ok, i looked at my local menards and the have portland cement type I, by lonestar Industries...will this be good, or should i look around for type II or III?...its 6.88 for 94lbs. I also looked at the sand, is play sand fine? And is this rock, say 3 to 1 ratio or 4 to 1, goin to be strong if i make designs? not just circles or slabswith a single hole or so...i would like it with nice holes, and plenty of little passageways for fish and what not, will it be able to withstand the weight of other rock on it?
i think i'll go ahead and just use the rubbermaid containers, better safe than sorry..id hate to waste $100. lol

shiby1510

ratios are a thing to fool with it takes time to figure what you want everyone uses different ones.. the main theory is.. the more oyster shells the more pourous...
try to atleast find portland I/II
and it will most likely be cheaper than quikrete
as for the sand I used tropical play sand by oldcastle << however that stuff is safe for aquariums... I played it safe I am not sure what everyone else did
you can also use argonite sand.. from the lfs.. you can actualy use that stuff instead of the oyster shells too but the oyster shells make a more pourous rock

thegrog

Originally Posted by shiby1510
Just ask them for portland cement... preferably higher than I... so try to get II or III
quikrete is premixed that is why it is called quikrete.. there is sand and whatnot in it... pure portland does not have this.
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Quikrete is a BRAND of cement!! It is a COMPANY NAME!!!! They make a full line (hundreds) of cements, mixes, and products. They also make PORTLAND CEMENT!!!!
http://www.quikrete.com/catalog/PortlandCement.html
Notice they say "pure portland cement"!!!!! If you even look on the MSDS data sheets it states that they do not add any silica to the product!!!! That means.....NO SAND!!!!! Says so on the bag too!! And don't try saying that they are just saying that because falsifying a MSDS data sheet is a federal offense and could get the entire company shut down by OSHA.

hckycoz

how did you guys go about washing the oyster shells? i tried to wash a little bit but i think it will take forever to dry. i just stuck a few handfulls into a rubbermaid and ran water over them until the water was pretty clear.

thegrog

Used a collander (that thing you strain spaghetti in) to rinse them. Then I tossed the shells into a rubbermaid and kept it open in my gariage for a few days. Stirred them around a few times and they were dry.
Using them wet would work as well, just reduce the amount of water you add to the mix. Adjust accordingly. I found that a mix with the consistancy of oatmeal is easiest to work with.

shiby1510

thegrog have you gotten my email??
very good idea btw with the oyster shells.. never washed mine.. and they were dusty.. noone ever told me about that... nice info thegrog..
some of my oystershells after cure were very pearly white some were not.. any ideas about this?

bronco300

ok well, eitherway, get portland cement, whicerever brandddddd,
lol i called a couple places and they said they couldnt carry high than the I... because of the humidty( i think thats what the reason was)....lowes actually said the bag said I/II, but said it was I...i wish i could find a nice place to start this right now, being a college student i have to find a nice place...i live in apt....so who knows. do you think putting the rubbermaid containers in the garage would be bad when curing??
THEGROG, or hckycoz what do you use for sand?
Luke P.

thegrog

The pearly thing depends on what part of the shell you are seeing. The shells that they make those out of are pretty large. Only the inside of the shell has the pearly look, the rest is just shell.
Just responded to your email, check your box.

thegrog

Originally Posted by Bronco300
ok well, eitherway, get portland cement, whicerever brandddddd,
lol i called a couple places and they said they couldnt carry high than the I... because of the humidty( i think thats what the reason was)....lowes actually said the bag said I/II, but said it was I...i wish i could find a nice place to start this right now, being a college student i have to find a nice place...i live in apt....so who knows. do you think putting the rubbermaid containers in the garage would be bad when curing??
THEGROG, or hckycoz what do you use for sand?
Luke P.
The garage now would be great for curing! The heat will speed things up (as long as the rubbermaids don't melt......man it's been a hot summer)
Agree with the humidity thing and the concrete mix. Type I/II is better than I so use what you can get. You may try calling a local concrete company to see if they have any.
For the mold sand, I just use the plain'ol play sand from walmart. It's like $4 a bag. Yea, it contains silica, but most of it washes of when I rinse the rocks and during curing. I will soon try using Florida Crushed Coral for molding. This will allow lots of little peices of crushed coral and shells to be on the surface of the rock!

bronco300

thats sounds cool, using the crushed coral as mold
...what about using the garage during fall, and into winter...i know winter wouldnt work unless i had a space heater...but i guess i'm pretty limited in what i can do, ya know..any suggestions?
Luke P

rickd

I have a question how big are the oyster shell your using the one i get in mississippi are about 3" long and i dont think thats what everyone is using is it? :notsure:

thegrog

Originally Posted by RickD
I have a question how big are the oyster shell your using the one i get in mississippi are about 3" long and i dont think thats what everyone is using is it? :notsure:
Yes and no. Using crushed oyster shells. A very common animal feed supplement.

rickd

Originally Posted by TheGrog
Yes and no. Using crushed oyster shells. A very common animal feed supplement.
Sorry i didnt know that we just have the real thing here. so can i use this stuff Puka Shell Substrate for Marine Thanks

thegrog

Originally Posted by RickD
Sorry i didnt know that we just have the real thing here. so can i use this stuff Puka Shell Substrate for Marine Thanks
Never tried it, but sure! Just that here that stuff costs around $20 per bag and you can get a 40# bag of crushed oyster shells for $3