DIY Live Rocks

zman1

Grog do you use the pultry size or the chick grit? I don't want to buy the wrong one.

zman1

I searched the WEB for Daves Reef and saw some interesting links on the side and a picture of play sand under the picture link. Starting to think rock making is like cheese cake everyone has a twist on it.

thegrog

Originally Posted by zman1
Grog do you use the pultry size or the chick grit? I don't want to buy the wrong one.
To tell you the truth, I don't know. :notsure: Never realized that there was a difference. I just got to the feed store and ask for some crushed oyster shells. Most of the shell fragments are about 1/4 to 3/8" in their largest dimension with some as large as 1/2. I guess this would be the poultry size being they are bigger.
Good analogy on the cheesecake thing. There are many different ways to do this so be creative and have fun!!

bronco300

well i bought some play sand, bought my rubbermaid containers, have water in the faucet...now i need to find cement, i know i can at least get I/II from Lowes...my question is about the crushed oysters...so far i've found a 5lb bag for 5.88!!!! is there something i can use to substitute it? like just crushed corals? thanks now i just add my water to the portland, and add the shells and i'm good to go?

Luke P. :happyfish

thegrog

You could use the crushed coral or a puks-shell mix. Make very small batches and play with the ratios as I have not tried either of these. Post your results.
Sounds like you are set to go!

bronco300

welp i'm gonna try starting the first batch tomorrowwwwwww....after i cure it, what do you do with the rock if you dont have a tank for it at the time?? i just thought of this, is it a bad idea to make it this far ahead? thanks
Luke P

thegrog

No harm in letting it sit out.
I would play it safe and just before adding it, put it back in salt water and test the pH for a few days......just to be sure. It's probably being overcautious, but that's just me.

bronco300

awesome, thanks guys!!! i appreciate all your help! When i come back from my weekend trip i'll take some pictures of the outcome, hopefully it wont be crushed non cured rock..lol

cant wait to see more pics hckycoz or if anyone else has any!!
Luke P. :happyfish

hckycoz

can some one help me post my pics? it says the file is too large. how can i size my pics down or whatever i need to do

bronco300

i just edit them through the paint program...go to imagine, stretch/skew...and then a box will open, where it says horizantal and vertical, put in like 15-19% in both, leave the other percentages at 100...then press ok...go to save as, so you dont override your other ones..then you can click on the photo and look on details to see if they are small enough, if not, redo the sizing from the original photo...thats how i do it...pretty simple.
Luke P

hckycoz

Pic 1. Brand and bag of the oyster shells
Pic 2. The rocks burried in the sand curing
Pic 3. The shells after being washed and waiting to dry
Pic 4. The rocks burried in the sand curing
Pic 5. The type of sand I used

hckycoz

If you would like to see any other pics please let me know tonight cuz i bet i wont see this camera for a while

bronco300

nicee..any others ifyou want....what did you mean by the rocks burried in the sand curing? did you mean the process of the cement hardening??
Luke P

hckycoz

tomorrow afternoon i will pull out the rocks in the sand and make another batch. Those rocks have been in the sand for a week now.

hckycoz

bronco i got some real small rubbermaid pans tho and it makes it extremely difficult. If i could do it over (which i probably will) I would start with big ol'e bucket. those ones i got are like 3 gallon pans.