DSB revolt

mini-reefer

I decided to browse the board for the first time in awhile, and now Im glad I did. Took awhile to read but awesome thread!
Originally posted by Lesleybird
I think the theory and principals of the deep sand bed are good and valid for nitrate reduction, but I think for practical reasons it would be better to only place a deep sand bed in a separate refugium in which the water is filtered of debris before it goes in so that all that organic matter does not clog the system to crash the bed. In a refugium it would also be easier to remove it every now and then to replace it when it was worn out or over filled with crud. In my opinion, the main tank should have a moderate sand bed about two inches.....maybe sloping to three inches in places.

Ive recently been thinking along the same lines as Lesley here. After having a DSB in my display for the first 1 1/2 years Im curious about trying something else. Anyone having success with a system set up like Lesley described above?
Plus, I didnt want to see the thread fade away. :D

foulbrew

Wow, just to recap.. is anyone who has had a DSB for a few years arguing against them?? After reading all of this I can't remember (and Dr Ron doesn't count).

bang guy

I'm not arguing, just listening. I haven't seen a valid reason why a healthy sandbed will crash...yet. I have my eyes and mind open though.

laudluvr

I am 4 weeks into a DSB, soooo I don't know Jack, but....
The only connection that I can think of with having a build up of residue in the DSB would be that of a septic tank comparison.
Nothing breaks down 100% of anything. Like a half-life concept, you can never have 0%. Say a DSB breaks down materials to a 99% gaseous state, you would still have 1% of mass. Over time that would build up and soon enough there would be "too much".
Now I understand that we are replicating a natural system under a less than natural environment, so it could'nt be perfect. Having seen the stages of development over the last 20 years, I am very comfortable with my chances of success now compared to before.
Hopefully if my system goes on for 4+ years, there will be enough advancements to help overcome the future obstacles.
This was an awesome thread and I am happy to have a newly formed DSB.
Now where the hell do I get added goodies to put in the DSB? A simple detrivore kit will do it? Or do I need to go swimming in the ocean and fetch a bucket 'o sand?

sammystingray

I personally would get as many detritivore kits as I could find....the more diversity the better. I would also get livesand from several sources not related.

jazzyz

well its been 4 years since this post, who is still running a dsb and whose crashed?? really interested to hear...

1journeyman

Wow, interesting thread to dig up.
I haven't been running a tank since 03 but I can tell you I moved my tank after it being set up for about 15 months. My deep sand bed was clean. So, at least in a year's time, the bottom of my sand wasn't accumulating anything.

aztec reef

i've had the same dsb since day one (4yrs+)it has never crashed, i even ran my reef without a skimmer for almost a year. and it was doing pretty good do to dsb and lots of lr. and i think my dsb has held up pretty good. i think it has to do with the fact that every 6 mos i give my dsb a tune up by getting fauna from a respectable sea farm...

teen

1 year so far with my 30 gallon. my sand is looking filthy though, even with a sand conch and nassarius snails.
my new tank will be a bare botom tank though with an oversized skimmer.

acrylic51

Not a DSB fan never have been.....I've always run SSB or BB, but on my new setup I'm going to give the DSB a whirl, but I'm going to be running it remotely in my 150 gallon fuge....

murph

From my few years experience with DSBs I cant help but be an advocate of there use.
From my understanding the anaerobic region at the bottom of a DSB is where nitrates are processed out by anaerobic bacteria and is the primary reason for having the bed. This function is in no way dependent on any microfauna life in the sand bed. In fact some people run DSBs in a bucket plumbed out with a slow flow and report good results.
I have run DSBs in the display with excellent results (no longer do this). A DSB in a bucket with negligible results and my current setup is a remote DSB in my sump. Grant it a large open sump is necessary for this, I run a 75 gal sump for a 75 gal display.
The setup is simply two 15x8x6 rubbermaid containers filled with a mixture of aragonite and fine play sand. Prior to this setup nitrates in the system ran a consistent 10. Within a month they had dropped to zero and have stayed that way. No other changes were made to the system.
IMO this not only works but gives peace of mind to those who believe these sand beds will ultimately crash. If a crash is suspected the quick action is to simply cut off the sump from the display by turning off the pump. Removal maintenance or replacement of these beds is quickly and easily accomplished by placing the lid back on the container and lifting the whole thing out of the sump. No fuss no muss. One half of the bed can actually be removed replaced and allowed to mature prior to replacement of the second half.
DSBs, even small remote ones like I described in my system most definitely serve to process out nitrates. I don't think that can be denied here. I would not be without one somewhere in my system.