DSB revolt

krux

i do not type very fast, so i am not going to transcribe for everyone the two articles touching on this in the current issue of fama (july) but one is written by bob goemans who writes the monthly article "sand mail" which deals with bsb, plenum, and other sand oriented filtration. the second is written by dr. charles matthews who writes the monthly column "reef science". the articles can be found on page 52 and 128 respectively.
goemans writes
"research has shown that anaerobic areas generate an ample supply of ammonium, which is the favorite algae nutrient. remember, nitrate is only reduced to ammonium, no further in anaerobic areas. yes nitrate is reduced and when the bulk water is tested, low nitrate levels appear to be under control because of the denitrification process in deep sand and inside rock. but that can be somewhat misleading because in anaerobic areas, nitrate is only reduced to ammonium (a nitrogen compound), no further. Fact not fiction! however in anoxic areas, nitrate is completely broken down/oxidized. therefore, anything over an inch or two of sand and/or the overabundance of live rock is the perfect breeding ground for the ideal algal nutrient, and this production of ammonium is not visible on our test kits, so the average aquarist doesn't see it. but the formation of algae in the aquarium is in part a result of this ammonium production, as algae is the pyysical incorporation of nitrogen compound! many aquarists also fail to adequately control phosphate. so it should be clear that minimizing anaerobic areas in the aquarium and the on-going control form the start of the aquarium where phosphate is concerned, is essential in preventing unwanted algae somewhere down the line"
he goes on to talk about phosphate removal techniques, but this is in effect the chemistry behind why hair algae will break out, even in an established (some times very established tank) without some sort of phosphate intervention. this also explains the collection and saturation of ammonium in aquariums. this can easily be battled with a refugium with aggressive harvesting and nutrient export, but that is another topic which is unfortunately usually never discussed as going had in had with dsb's.
so there is the source of algae and phosphate/ammonium tank crashes.
matthews discusses the topic of dsb's and filter feeders and the build up of bacterial toxicity (another cause of crashes).
he cites that "a rigid, coarse diversity poor sand bed in a nutrient rich environment will support insufficient grazers of bacteria to prevent bacterial toxicity defenses from being triggered during growth, leading to subtle toxic tank syndrome. But there are significant limitations in our present ability to keep organisims - particularly, consumers of particulates in mass quantities, of which dendronephthyla is a poster child, but including bivalves, crinoids, and essentially all non-photosynthetic organisms, which typically are so brightly colored - andi believe it is possible that the sand bed itself is the limiting factor. substrates in the ocean are, typically, exactly graded and matched to the flow regime in which they are found. the flow regime is almost enough to lift the substrate; this allows the substrate to settle out. the invertibrates that live in a particular regime are not only adapted to the size of the substrate, but to oxygen gradient related to the overlying water flow as well."
he is in effect stating that no matter how much you pay for your fancy southdown, or how far you drive for yardright, unless you miraculously grade the sand to the exact specifications that it would occur naturally, in the exact same water flow patterns as it would occur naturally, and introduce the exact species of infauna and bacteria, you will NOT be recreating the "natural" method that so many feel that they are creating with the dsb method.
there have been a number of other articles in various publications recently talkinga bout the same issues.
it all comes down to the same thing that i have been suggesting over and over in many threads concerning the construction of a dsb, the maintenance of a dsb, the lack of a dsb... this board is a huge wagon that a lot of sucessful reefers have jumped on over the years, and it is sometimes dangerous to voice an opinion out of fear of sounding different, or contradictory. i challenge folks to find proof for their arguments, or at least have the formal training to know what they are talking about. just because you might have gotten the sand bed setup right in your tank, and just because you have 17 friends whose tanks all seem to work, does not mean that any one method is bulletproof. how your setup works will be drastically different from mine, and so it shall be with everyones' tanks.
so yes that is why i argue every time someone asks about filtration and immediately a dozen people say that a dsb is the only way to go. yes if done properly, folks have had success, but folks are still having success with undergravel filters, there are beautiful tanks running bio-balls which most people here wish were never invented, there is great luck with refugiums, algal turf scrubbers, denitrification reactors... there are a lot of methods of working out the chemistry involved.
so for you who bought 300 lbs of southdown, asdded a closed loop system or wavemaker, added an infauna kit, and were sucessful, GREAT! but please do not shut the book on emerging research, and emerging technology because you have seen what is in most cases fairly short term results (hats off to the 15 year dsb folks). it was not long ago that folks saw the dsb as a miracle cure and trend... now that research is coming out by respected aquarists and authors, some of them very professional and not at all amateurs, it is time to maybe look at the drawbacks that are inherent in any setup that tries to recreate an impossibly complex and diverse microcosm.
further research might prove that there will never be a better system than the dsb, but that is the FUTURE, are all yall a bunch of powerball gamers? i am not, i would love to have the chance to save my reef before it crashes by simply taking the time to research, and listen to exterior opinions.
and thanks to mn for keeping folks on their toes :p

broncofish

Originally posted by krux
"research has shown that anaerobic areas generate an ample supply of ammonium, which is the favorite algae nutrient. remember, nitrate is only reduced to ammonium, no further in anaerobic areas.

Krux thanks for the article I will have to go pick that up...there is one problem and I respect goemans work....but ammonium what??? there is ammonium phosphates, nitrates of a gazillion different kinds, and in general when you get a positive trate reading it is usually some kind of you guessed it ammonium nitrate(a nitrate brought about by the break down of ammonia), to say that we have no test for it is to say that well we have no test kits at all. One thing to remember is Goeman has been pushing the plenum for years. I think Plenums work well also with a bit of work, if you don't believe me check out Garfs tanks.
Seperate question does anybody have the printed article of Toonens recent presentation at the chicago imac? I think that would greatly relate to this topic...but I can't find a link to it anywhere.

bang guy

Is this the same Bob Goemans that says the Eco-Aqualizer is the best thing since slice bread? The man has lost it. He has absolutely none of my respect. If he told me the sun was rising tomorrow I would be skeptical.

krux

i am assuming he is referring to ammonium nitrate, where the nitrate has been removed through biological processes leaving simply ammonium (is it ions? been 10 years since i had chemistry for the correct terminology).
another thing that i found interesting was when he was talking about phosphates is that levels of 0.015 mg/l are enough to start a bloom, and most test kits do not test below 0.05, with the listed exception of the merck phosphate test kit (#1.14445.00001 for those inclined to buy it at 65 bucks).
i can only assume that by no test kit, he means that in some way our standard ammonia test kits test for an ammonia containing compound, like aforementioned ammonium nirtate, and when the other half of the compound is removed, the resulting ammonium does not react with the chemical reagents to give us a reading.
does anyone have a spectrophotometer in their closet? i think that would be one way to measure it even at miniscule ammounts :p
i wish i hadnt had so much beer each night before i had 7 am chemistry back in college!

krux

there was actually a recent nova or some other pbs thing talking about waste water plants and magnetism based on the same nasa principles... i remember someone using it in the may or june issue and saying it did not have any negative effects, but i pretty distinctly remember the review being non-conclusive yet hopeful hinging on further time using the product.
for your humor however there is another page on it in reef science in july for your perusal. matthews suggests some experimentation methods to help determine if it is a hoax or not, and gives the google search topic of magnetic water pseudoscience for more "very good" articles that discuss wether or not there is anything to it.

bang guy

The device may have merit, I'm not that closed minded. The crap being spewed in it's advertizing is rediculous. Even make Marc Weise look honest. There's just no excuse for stating completely misleading mumbo-jumbo to sell something to a hobbiest. It's just wrong. <--- period

T

thomas712

OK... Anyone ever hear of a Shallow Sand Bed crashing? Not saying it is not possible, in fact I would think any sand bed has the potential to fail, problem is most often it gets blamed on something else.
Thomas

the claw

Well thanks for the great insight everyone, but I'm still going with my DSB. As a scientist or lab rat myself, I think it's the best shot I have at having a successful reef tank. Check back in 15 years and see if I'm still sticking to my guns. I'm getting the jist there are alot of neophytes out there, that will need to make some serious decisions before they embark on this venture. But.....that was half of the fun with this hobby was the research and successful experimentation.
MN Do you ever sleep;)

the claw

That was my first choice too, then I succombed to greed. Now for punishment I "have to stare" at my tank and dream big dreams, and argue about how deep my sand bed should be. I'm thinking about starting a research project. ....sampling all of the sandbeds of the world. Any volunteers??????????

justinx

You know . . . . I have been following this thread from the start and have just been observing things as they develop. However, I am about to break my silence on this one as I have put some serious thought into this topic.
1. DSB's are NOT by any means the end all filtration methods, nor do I think that anyone here has said this or even implied this. I believe that this is exemplifed by the fact that (as far as I know) no body here runs a tank with only sand on the bottom without any live rock, or macro algae.
no i dont believe in them.....no matter what if you have a dsb eventully it will crash....ask dr ron....his crashed . . . . but more and more dsbs are failing......you have to remeber the ocean had a steady current going over it so it is constanly being replaced and sediment is constanly being taken off.....we cant do that in our closed systems
Simply put . . . . this is BS. Sure, DSB's may crash, they may not, however at this point in time, it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell exactly how effective a DSB is long term. Furthermore, it will NEVER be possible to do any kind of empirical research on the subject matter.
Secondly on this point, how does Dr. Shimek KNOW that his DSB caused his tank to crash. No matter what you or anyone else tells me, it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine the cause of his tanks demise at this point due to several factors: 1. It (meaning the tank) is no longer "working". 2. Unless he has a continuos monitoring system on his tank that accurately and continuosly monitors and records EVERYTHING in his tank, than he will never be able to determine what caused his tank to fail. Obviously it is due to chemical imbalances, but what exactly caused such a swing in the levels of various compunds in his tank is far too complex to determine, and will not be able to be determined because, simply put, there are far, far, far, too many variables in the equation.
Third . . . true, there are currents in the ocean that sweep away the top layer of sediment, but it doesnt just disappear, it goes somewhere. Where does it go?
the top 2-3 inches hoses everything that is alive in a dsb the rest is where all of you chemical reactions take place.....well after a while it gets saturated and crashes
Wrong . . . and wrong. The top 2-3 inches are where the macro-infauna live. Things such as copepods, amphipods, worms, etc, and aerobic bacteria. There are two types of bacteria, both of which whose names escape me, but one is responsible for the breakdown of ammonia in to nitrite, the second of which whom is responsible for the break down of nitrite into nitrate. This is the "cycle" of a fish tank.
The "rest" of a sand bed is not where any chemical reactions take place. There are biological processes occuring as the result of anaerobic conditions and the bacteria which live there that are breaking down nitrate into free nitrogen gas. This gas then rises to the surface, displacing sand as it rises, creating movement, where it is released into the atomsphere.
I have seen this point mentioned several times through out this thread, but I am very curious as to what a sand bed becomes saturated with.
iv class="quote-container_container">
it is being sugested you replace you live rock every 4 years....the bacteria used to break these elements down get overly saturated...its plain and simple.....
Never heard that before (must be a guy who works for walt smith:D :p . . . kidding, kidding)
But seriously, i have never heard that I need to replace my LR. Why would you? Maybe for a change of pace, or scenery . . . but because the bacteria get oversaturated?! Could you please explain to me how a living organism, namely bacteria, gets over saturated with anything?
another point people assume that my replacing the dsb they mean the top layer.....this is false..you want to change the bottom of your dsb
Getting a little ahead of the argument here, but later you go on to say that in natural environments, the ocean deposits a fresh layer of sand maintaining the gap between the aerobic and anaerobic conditions. You have contradicted yourself here on this one. Which is it? Add a fresh lay on top? or replace the bottom layer. Granted I do realize that after a period of time, continually adding sand to your DSB will result in a glass box half filled with sand, but that is not the point. I am merely interested in which claim you stand by, because it cannot be both.
the dsb isnt putting your tank to shame....take a look at 64ivys bb tank...YES ITS A BARE BOTTOM TANK
Keep exploring that site my friend . . . . he utilizes a refugium with a 4" DSB. Sorry . . . . next.
This fauna does not have a sustainable population and falls prey to extinction over a relatively few years. None of the kits detrivore kits etc etc from any of the retailers can replace the abundance, amount, quality, or diversity of what came in on the initial live rock.
I have never seeded my DSB once, not even in the beginning. I added dead sand, and LR. The sand bad is teeming with life. I didnt put it there, and it did not just appear. So where did it come from? I assume that it has reproduced itself.
another interesting aspect of dsb's that your missing is recuitment.the very dynamic nature of dsbs in a closed systems says they are constanly in a state ofof flux. as a whole and also in secluded parts.as the dynamics of the water chemistry changes along with the "fuel" for the dsb, certain areas will die off and then be recruited again. Areas will be in constant flux or aerobic and various degrees of anoxic and anaerobix also. each time a dsb fluxes, you will lose a certain amount of the fauna
Not really sure that I quite get what is being said here so I will attempt to clarify (correct me if I am wrong please):
The water chemistry is in a state of flux so therefore the DSB is in a state of flux where pockets of infauna die and are "recruited" In other words REFRESHED.
Secondly, water levels in an established tank should not be in a state of flux.
having to reduces your water flow for fear of blowing it out, not being able to get and animals that may eat those precious bugs, Never being able to alter it with out fear of loosing the whole tank
I have plenty of water flow in my tank. About 20x per hour (also one of the contributing factors to the prevention of cyanobacteria)
Secondly, my DSB gets stirred in various spots almost on a regular basis because I move corals around etc, (coincidentally to avoid blasts of current) and I have yet to have my tank crashe, let alone even a nutrient spike or algae bloom.

justinx

I am sure that I came of very brash, but I dont intend to. I have much much more to say on this topic, but I fear that it will not be constructive so I decided to stop.
Long and short . . . DSB's are effective short term. Long term . . . . it is impossible to tell. For anyone to come along and make a claim one way or another regarding the longterm use of DSB's, is simply an unsupported argument and is inaccurate.
No hard feelings and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

justinx

Originally posted by overanalyzer
... poor nmreefer is not going to get any sleep!

I know:( . . . . . Sorry about that man!

nm reef

Hmmm...early this AM I read thru this thread when it had 60 or so responses...and during the day I had a good idea for what I wanted to say. However life interfered and I'm just now getting back.
The hour is getting late(for a milkman anyway) and I don't have time to read thru the 100+ posts I've missed...but I will say this:
I run a DSB in my display as well as in each stage of a 3 stage refugium system. I have no fears of it crashing and destroying my reef. At least no more fear than I have of any other process contributing to a fatal system crash. I have read the information/thoughts recently being kicked around about DSB's contributing to system crashs...and they have caught my attention.Actually they are even cause for concern...but would I declare them useless or harmful...or fatal....nope!!!
Sure...there may be instances where problems associated with a DSB have contributed to system crashs. But...system failure is a risk we all take and could happen for any of a large number of reasons. So...based on "the fact" that systems crash should we stop maintaining marine systems? Hell no!!!
I have seen the good Dr. refered to many times in this thread offer ideas/thoughts/hypothis on several topics...my impression has been that the good Dr. sometimes lets his intellegence and mouth run far ahead of rational thought. I've also seen some folks take ideas/thoughts/hypothisis and attempt to translate them into stone cold fact...and that can be a mistake.Not to mention that it is contradictory to established scientific procedures.
In this hobby there are multitudes of options available to maintaining a reef system. I have seen and heard of numerous methods that all have pros and cons...but I would never be so bold as to say one is better or superior to the other. Basically all I can state is what I have done and what my results have been. Based on some of the logic offered as "fact" in this thread I could say that a DSB is "the way and the only way"...but in my opinion that position without solid research and documented proof is just plain wrong!
Bottom line is this topic started by a very few supposedly respected and experienced reefkeepers that offered thoughts/ideas as fact without solid evidence to support their position and following that a few well meaning individuals have accepted the spectulation as hard cold FACT!There is very little in this hobby that can be preached as hard/cold fact!!!
I'd futher offer that if time was taken to look outside the box and explore the "results" of reefkeepers the over all picture will show that a well established/stocked/maintained DSB can and in fact is a very positive tool in maintaining a healthy reef. There are without a doubt numerous other effective approaches...but lets not be foolish enough to attempt to claim that one is better or more effective than the other. Also lets not translate thoughts/ideas/spectulation into a condemnation of what has proven to be a very effective tool in the reefkeepers arsenal!

sammystingray

I have heard the theory that metals are added to our tanks, nothings uses them, and they build up until it crashes.....first obvious thing that comes to mind....if nothing in the tank is absorbing these metals...who cares about them.....let them get released or not...nothing absorbs or uses them. If creatures are effected and do absorb them, then these metals DO have an export....even if it is death. Dr Ron is basically saying lately that all rock, sand, and water MUST be removed after about five years....utter stupidity. Remember when everyone talked about hydrogen sulfide crashes....never seen a single one, and everyone shut up about it. Holdon.....I have to go reread a few things....