Elegence Coral- Why expert only ?

mscarpena

It looks pretty good to me. Also my crab was about 25% of the size of yours. Mine was the size of a large tick. I am leary of any crabs unless I can positively ID them as 100% safe. I would look around at night to see where the crab is going and what it is doing. They are more active at night. Also use an LED or red light. Do not shine a very bright light or the crab will return to it's hiding place.

big

Sorry I have somehow missed seeing this post of recently. I did not mean to ignore you question a while back, sorry. I had commented earlier that it was indeed an Elegance. but did not appear in the best of shape.
If one reads the many Boremann articles about this corals issues, or cares for an Elegance for a long time.(more than a few months watching one slowly die) It looks from the picture that there is a somewhat bloated body appearance with lack of tentacles extension a sign of distress. I also saw an extremely bloated body from a self proclaimed expert on the coral in an above posting of his coral.
A healthy Elegance extends greatly under good lighting. I think too with MH lights maybe moving it to an upright position on the substrate may help. The picture shown looked more like one looks when contracted or at night.
Not to say that we can not keep one in today's modern tanks with high powered skimmers and ultra clean water. But the ones of 20 years ago lives well in dirty tanks compared to today. Most of what I have seem about where they like to live the best is on a shallow muddy bottom with lots of nutrients in the water. Something that we do anymore.
Also look at the SWF,comes shots. The Bluer is defiantly a specimen collected from deeper waters, due to the lack of ability to find them anymore. The second shot of mine is a shallow water specimen with the once more typically Elegance color.
Well I am sure you have learned a lot about this coral by now and are doing your best. Good Luck with him.......

sh2000

Thanks T^ It's one of my fav corals...let me understand you correctly instead of having it on its side should i place it on the SB facing upwards instead of sideways ? thanks for the clarification.

sh2000

I also have a poor quality camera that might not give it justice it looks pretty good to me nothing like the pics in the beginning of this post of elegance that are struggling or deteriorating..what do i know...

big

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2461779
Thanks T^ It's one of my fav corals...let me understand you correctly instead of having it on its side should i place it on the SB facing upwards instead of sideways ? thanks for the clarification.
Yep!!

sh2000

mine has a bigger skeletoral base.. doesn't quite look like yours..maybe diff type of elegance mine has a huge lime green neon yellowish green color much brighter and the tentacles are white not tannish brown and have purple tips that are significantly shorter..hope this helps describe mine.

big

"""Also look at the SWF,comes shots. The Bluer is defiantly a specimen collected from deeper waters, due to the lack of ability to find them anymore" """
The one im that shot have the normal trianglar base about 7 or 8 inchs across. He is nearly two feet across at full extention. But againt the bluer ones tend to be from the deeper water specimens. They get real big.

zeppelin

I have been fragging the aussie elegance since about May of last year. I have had good success and have a good dozen or so nice sized frags going right now that have been fragged for over 3 months. The aussie elegance have proven to be much more resilient, for me anyway.

sh2000

Mine will swwell up a little in some areas at time but makes a great recovery always..I hope it last a long time because the color is truely one of my most favorable corals in my dt.

str8salt

wfd1008;2446456 said:
Originally Posted by New2Salt1
I have read MORE about this coral than 99% of the people out there. Knowing for some time that I own one of the largest, healthiest specimens on these boards, it sparked my interest greatly, and I have been following the research that is being done. With that said, can we put an end to the "mysterious white crab" theory, and any other theory that claims to have the "true" answer? There are people working on this day and night, and it just sounds stupid and ignorant for some fly-by-nighter to throw out BS and mislead people.
http://www.ronshimek.com/Animal%20Gr...rustaceans.htm
scroll down to the part where it talks about gall crabs. the forth pic is what what the "white crab" looked like. for you to call someone a fly-by-nighter and what they found in their tank is BS is a sign of someone being arrogant. never was their any attempt to mislead, just help.
My buddy owns the lfs in my town. He ordered an elegance in. It lloked great when it came in. I wnt down there the other day and it wasn't looking good. So we moved it. He went in this morning tho pull out the dying coral and decided to take a look around on it because of what I had mentioned reading on this forum. Lo and behold there was indeed a crab eating into the flesh. He pulled it out and saved it so we could take some pics. I will post post them tomarrow. On a side note this isn't the first parasitic or coral predatary crab I have found in various types of coral. The crab theory is definatly viable and possible if not proven as at least a contributing factor in this species sudden deaths.

reefmate75

when i frist got into this hobby (the keeping corals part) i wanted one badly, and then i found out they dont live long, so i didnt buy one, and im glad i didnt, every one i haev seen at the LFSs have all died there, im sure the crab has something top do with it, but i would think it has alot more to do with the fact that they dont rid themselfs of the extra zooanto as they are brought into brighter light, and over produce oxigen...
Just my 2 cents

sh2000

Mine after about 6 weeks is almost on its way out looks terrible at least I know the water is pristine. I'm sad it was my fav coral and was a beautiful lime vibrant green in color. Anyone have any ideas of corals with the same color vibrant metallica lime green ? look at the pics above please let me know I need that color in my DT.

sh2000

My elegance is 90 percent dead..I'm giving it 3 more days to survive before removing it from my tank and feeling dooped by my LFS.