Elegence Coral- Why expert only ?

sh2000

I just removed my elegance from my DT it was the second coral I lost in 1 year ...My water was too clean for it..the LFS lied to me and i'mso mad..

mscarpena

str8salt;2474842 said:
Originally Posted by wfd1008
http:///forum/post/2446456
My buddy owns the lfs in my town. He ordered an elegance in. It lloked great when it came in. I wnt down there the other day and it wasn't looking good. So we moved it. He went in this morning tho pull out the dying coral and decided to take a look around on it because of what I had mentioned reading on this forum. Lo and behold there was indeed a crab eating into the flesh. He pulled it out and saved it so we could take some pics. I will post post them tomarrow. On a side note this isn't the first parasitic or coral predatary crab I have found in various types of coral. The crab theory is definatly viable and possible if not proven as at least a contributing factor in this species sudden deaths.
Thanks for posting that. Removing the crab saved mine as well. Thats is exactly how my crab looked and about the same size. Very small and easy to miss. You guys should inspect them carefully before buying.

mscarpena

Originally Posted by reefmate75
http:///forum/post/2474938
when i frist got into this hobby (the keeping corals part) i wanted one badly, and then i found out they dont live long, so i didnt buy one, and im glad i didnt, every one i haev seen at the LFSs have all died there, im sure the crab has something top do with it, but i would think it has alot more to do with the fact that they dont rid themselfs of the extra zooanto as they are brought into brighter light, and over produce oxigen...
Just my 2 cents
I agree with you on this theory as well. What I did to prevent this was put it on the bottom in the sand and I have a huge Gorgonia and I shaded the Elegance with that coral for about 6-8 weeks. Then I put it under full VHO's and now it is under MH. My understanding is that the Aussie ones should not have the same issue due to them being collected in shallower waters, but still would not hurt to shade them a little bit until you are sure. I read something on this and it stated that they are collected from deeper water than before and have thinner skin. So when we place them in our aquariums they get the equivilent to a sun burn and they just end up perishing. It really made sense to me. Also I have had my elegance for about 8 months now and it is 100% healthy. Also I have a turboflotor 1000 on a 75 gallon and my water is prestine as well so I do not think that these guys need dirty water to live.

sh2000

Mine lasted 5 weeks or so. I belive these corals shouldn't be kept in captivity as they have a low success rate.

new2salt1

Originally Posted by SH2000
http:///forum/post/2481740
Mine lasted 5 weeks or so. I belive these corals shouldn't be kept in captivity as they have a low success rate.
Ugghhh...I know this thread is 2 years old but my elegance is now 3 1/2 years old and is doing great. Dont give up on trying!!! Wait out the coral! If it's at your LFS for 6-8 weeks and you can get a partial refund guarantee, GIVE IT A SHOT!! This coral is GREAT for hosting clowns, it woofs down raw shrimp like crazy, and it changes shape and color daily so my tank always looks different. I did have slight tissue dieoff on the corners on the coral but I really think that was due to the constant rubbing on live rock. 3 1/2 year later it is still my favorite coral. He's some updated pics...

wow.. my LFS has an aussie in their main tank that I have been eyeballing for awhile, but it hasn't been looking too great the last few times I've been in there :(. It is also one of the lime green ones with the purple-ish tips. If they aren't having luck in their 200G I would be too afraid to try one haha.