END of 225g..Beginning of 180G

E

eric b 125

That's great! They are hard little buggers to photograph, eh? They never stay still long enough for me to get a good one of them.

deejeff442

i was just coming on here to say how bout a pic already lol. lois that tank looks awesome glad its working out for you.

meowzer

A few new things....I needed some snails so I also ordered a new bi-color blennie, pink birdnest, a few pep shrimp, and a green ricordea was free cause I had issues placing the order

novahobbies

Both of the Richards keep this coral.
My experience has been pretty positive. I had a rough patch when my KH dropped, but I think we're getting back to normal now.
In general, here is my experience with the coral. First, it's pretty happy in high light. I keep a few Birds, most near the top of the tank. My orange and red bird are near the top, my orange w green polyps are a few inches down, and my Bird-of-Paradise is much lower (but this is a special "low-light" coral anyway). I keep them under cheap chinese LED fixtures with red and green supplemental lighting (a couple spare RapidLED bulbs)
Second, and I can tell you this from unfortunate experience, Birdsnests DO NOT do well when the Alk isn't stable. Keep your Carbonate Harness around 10 dKH. If this parameter fluctuates much, you may wind up with (please forgive me) Angry Birds.
Soon enough you'll find yourself the owner of DEAD Birds.
Thirdly, the same issues about KH stability also holds true for pH. Even though my pH is somewhat low at 7.8, it's stable which counts for a lot of happy corals. If you can keep your pH stable at 8, so much the better.....we have seen scientific proof lately that reefs under 7.8 conditions may grow, but they don't calcify as heavily....therefore you get more brittle corals. Read that in CORAL mag a couple issues ago, I think.
I hope the other Richard chimes in as well. He has a lot of experience with good coral coloration, which he maintains is due to a trace amount of nitrate and phosphate. I can't comment 100% about that, but I will say this.......his corals are BEAUTIFUL. Hard to argue with success.

meowzer

I guess I am just not meant to have a birdsnest :(
BUT the Squamosa is doing great
as are my anthias......YAYYYYY I finally have some
I have not seen the bi-color blennie in a couple of days BUT it was very small and hard to spot since it hangs out in holes
I just don't know what to add next...I want something colorful that swims out in the open a lot

gemmy

Hmmm... Can I get a run down of the fish that you have in all your tanks? I have some other thoughts running through my mind.

gemmy

Oh and are there any fish other than angels and butterflies that you absolutely want to avoid?

meowzer

LOL....29G....1 clown, 1 cardinal, 1 chalk basslet, 1 black/white goby, 1 rainford goby
28G cube....all I have is a yellow head jawfish :(
54G 2 blue reef chromis, 1 red hawkfish, 1 2 spot hogfish, 1 lemonpeel angel
180G....1 blue hippo tang, 1 yellow tang, 3 dispar anthias, 1 clown, 2 PJ cardinals, I do have a squamosa clam, and pep shrimp, so I want NO clam pickers or shrimp eaters....LOL
I might have a bicolor blennie.....I have not seen it in 2 days tho haha
I was thinking of going for small fish so I can have a variety.....IDK.....

gemmy

What about a trio of wrasses? I know they can be jumpers, but it is SUPER easy to build a mesh top and they provide great movement. Not to mention that many of them have quite striking colors.