Finally!!

S

shrimpy brains

Step #3:
Furan-follow directions on box.
Works out perfect since this is a 10g tank and each package of Furan treats 10g. So I added 1 package to tank.
Our little girl seems to be exhausted from Step #2. I waited a couple of hours and decided to try to feed her one more time tonite. This time I added some frozen mysis soaked in garlic and vitachem along with the brine.
She's not up to eating right now. Will turn off lights as soon as I post this and try again in the morning!!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3227402
So is she now in a qt by herself??
No, she is in with the others. They will also get the furan treatments. Beth says she has dealt with tailrot before and doesn't believe it to be contagious.(although many will tell you that it is)
I was glad to hear this, as in the 48 hours of experience I now have
, I have come to believe that seahorses support each other and I think this one has a better chance of survival in with the others and not alone.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3227411
No, she is in with the others. They will also get the furan treatments. Beth says she has dealt with tailrot before and doesn't believe it to be contagious.(although many will tell you that it is)
I was glad to hear this, as in the 48 hours of experience I now have
, I have come to believe that seahorses support each other and I think this one has a better chance of survival in with the others and not alone.
I have to agree....(even tho I may be wrong too) LOL
I think Bigun was really lonely in the qt, and I kinda wonder how that affected him

I'll be following you here...and wishing you the best of luck....remember, it seems everything we do with these magnificent creatures is a learning experience for you and everyone else too

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3227414
I have to agree....(even tho I may be wrong too) LOL
I think Bigun was really lonely in the qt, and I kinda wonder how that affected him

I'll be following you here...and wishing you the best of luck....remember, it seems everything we do with these magnificent creatures is a learning experience for you and everyone else too
I hope we can all learn from this and I hope this little girl makes it. I know I was among several people that cried when you lost Bigun, and I always wondered if you lost Skinny too because she was lonely without him.
Anyway, thanks for tagging along. I will try to document each step of the way(as best I can)

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3227445
I just let it wear off.

T
Well, it is winter, so I could probably get away with wearing gloves all the time!
But here's the kicker, which will make your nite and explain why I don't want to use bleach!
Ok......
Here goes.......
Don't really want to admit this but......
Well, you know how sometimes your multitasking and say you have a pen in your hand.
Alright, so now you are going to do something that requires both hands.
So....instead of putting the pen down, you might stick it....sideways in your mouth....................well you get the idea, or do I need to go on.
And NO you are not getting a picture!!

S

shrimpy brains

Thought you'd enjoy that! I'd say, let's keep it our little secret, but I guess it'stoo late for that now!

ann83

Hmmmnn... okay. Did she tell you what she wanted to use the Quick Cure to treat for? Quick Cure is a parasite treatment...
Additionally, it is my understanding that seahorses don't have a reputation for tolerating malachite green well, so keep a close eye on her.
As for treating the healthy seahorses with an antibiotic that will stress their renal systems, decrease their appetite, and could possibly create resistant bacteria. Well, that would not have been my recommendation. :(
As long as you're treating with the Furan-2, make sure you keep the lighting very low, since Furan-2 is deactivated by light. Personally, I'd be gutloading the Furan-2 into the adult brine shrimp for a better delivery method and more chance of success. I'd also be gutloading the brine shrimp with beta glucan, and a HUFA based enrichment (during a separate meal, not at the same time as the Furan-2).

S

shrimpy brains

Hi Ann,
Well if she said for certain why to use the quick cure, I don't remember. I can only assume, that she is covering all bases.

Is the Malachite green for parasites and the Formulin for bacteria/virus or do I misunderstand. I want to say that she thought the tail rot (if that's the problem) was possibly a viral infection, but once again may be wrong.( I mostly concentrated on the directions of what to do.)
I asked her about seperating them, but she didn't think it was necessary and gave me the impression that the Furan would not hurt the healthy ones.
Since, she is the breeder I purchased from, and everyone else said to check with her on treatment, I went with her recommendation.
Now you got me worried about the healthy ones, but I will continue on this course of treatment and hope for the best. I will also, thanks to your advice, keep a close eye on the others and make sure they are eating and acting normally.
Based on the directions, I can do a water change and add carbon to eliminate the Furan from the tank. I suppose I could do this at any time. Otherwise, the treatment is supposed to last 4 days.
Thank you for returning and giving your opinion. It means alot and I respect your expertise(while trying not to make you outgrow your britches
)
Please, continue to post any opinions(positive or negative) on here. Maybe, if nothing else, we can all learn from it.

ann83

I am not trying to be hard on you for following the breeder's advice. To follow the breeder's advice is typically the best course of action. I just felt it important to voice my concerns (and, aparently my ability to "soften" my posts is on the fritz, b/c everything I type lately seems more *um* "snotty" than I intended).
Malachite green and formalin both target parasites. Formalin also has mild anti-bacterial properties, but it isn't going to kill off a bacterial infection. As far as I am aware, nothing available to fish is going to target viruses. Furan-2 will target bacteria, and also fungus to some extent.
On the "covering all bases" subject. I do want to express my concerns that throwing the kitchen sink at a seahorse (or anything else) can squash it. ;) Antibiotics, antiparasitics, and other drugs are all very hard on the seahorse's renal system. The more you throw at them, the harder it is on them. Back in the day, when people were throwing the highest dose of the strongest meds at the seahorses every time they got sick, the seahorses would appear to get better, only to die shortly down the line, presumably aided by damage to the renal system. Human doctors don't give you several possible antibiotics at the same time whenever you are sick for the same reason. Malachite green is very hard on fish, formalin is very hard on fish, and Nitrofurans aren't exactly a walk in the park. All three is quite a stress load. It does help that she's only being exposed to the MG/Formalin for a short period of time once a day, but it still has me a little worried. And it helps that the others are only being exposed to the Furan, but it's still more than their systems should have to be exposed to, IMO.
I hope I'm not coming across as harsh, or even argumentative. Just wanted to make sure I made clear my concerns for any future person reading this thread.
If any of the seahorses go off their feeding, or begin to show signs of buoyancy problems (especially sinking), those would be cause for concern.

ann83

Oh, and I would definitely continue the Furan-2 for a full 10 days, not just 4. Stopping it early could be a problem for a few reasons. One, while the seahorse might appear to have improved, it might just come right back with a vengence when you stop the antibiotic. And two, too short a medication period can create antibiotic resistant bacteria, so when it does come back with a vengence, the Furan-2 won't work on it again.

ann83

I remembered something else.

Make sure you have heavy aeration in the Quick Cure baths. Formalin displaces dissolved oxygen, and I suspect that many of the medications that are found to be "hard" on seahorses, involve irritating the gills in ways that are problematic to the seahorse's closed operculum.
Other useful information: vitamin B12 can be used as an appetite stimulant, Beta Glucan is an immune booster, and live mysis are irresistible to seahorses and can often break a hunger strike.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3227512
Oh, and I would definitely continue the Furan-2 for a full 10 days, not just 4. Stopping it early could be a problem for a few reasons. One, while the seahorse might appear to have improved, it might just come right back with a vengence when you stop the antibiotic. And two, too short a medication period can create antibiotic resistant bacteria, so when it does come back with a vengence, the Furan-2 won't work on it again.
Maybe I am mistaken, I thought the package said 4, but even if that's the case, I will go 10 as I understand what happens when you stop taking antibiotics cause you feel better.
Thanks again!

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3227517
I remembered something else.

Make sure you have heavy aeration in the Quick Cure baths. Formalin displaces dissolved oxygen, and I suspect that many of the medications that are found to be "hard" on seahorses, involve irritating the gills in ways that are problematic to the seahorse's closed operculum.
Other useful information: vitamin B12 can be used as an appetite stimulant, Beta Glucan is an immune booster, and live mysis are irresistible to seahorses and can often break a hunger strike.
I placed an airstone in the Quick Cure bath as instructed. I will call Beth again tomorrow, but she never mentioned repeating this bath, only to move on to the Furan.
Also, I will try to find some live mysis, but I haven't seen it locally. I will check with my reef club!