first horse :)

lane2800

hey i came to the experts. the lfs could not tell me what kind of horse this is i was hopeing you guys could the photo(if i can figure out how to post) is not the greatest. anyway thanks for your help in advance.

teresaq

kinda looks like an H Comes. Could you post a few more pictures??
What do you know about the horse?? captive bred, pen raised.
Most likely it is wild because of the species. These are hard to raise.
Is it eatting frozen???
Tell us more about the tank you have it in
TeresaQ

lane2800

the store said it was captive raised. i have had it for only 1 day and is already eating. it went crazy for the frozen mysis. the store had him for 4 months, they said he has had babies atleast 2 times this summer. unfortunatly when i got there they had sold the female that was with him the day before. i have him in a 24gal. aqua pod. took a couple pics with the white light on.

bender77

You really need to watch the temp in your aquapod, most Horses need temps between 72-74 and the all in one aquariums run hot. How long has your tank been set up? Are you planning on getting him a friend? Horses need companions.

meowzer

So the LFS had him paired up...they bred twice, and then sold the mate.....ahhhhh...Poor little guy....
T...will this upset him????

lane2800

had originally planned on a pair from Ora that another local store sells. 110. a pair for the yellows, but not that i have him not sure if they are compatible. the store i purchased him from said they would be getting more in a couple weeks. so i might have to go stay with them now. the temp has been steady for 2 months, i keep it in a cool location in the apartment, with the heater set at 74.

teresaq

Looks like H. Comes. These are or have been net raised in the Ocean.
I have not seen or heard of too many people raising comes.
This horse should be wormed and watched closely for parasites.
I cant beleive the sold his mate, I hope they arent just telling you this and she just died.
On another note, how tall is your tank. H. Comes can get about 7.5 inches which means thier tank should be around 21 inch tall. 24 gal is a little small for two and one will be lonely by hisself.
T

teresaq

Dive Girl has an H comes. You might pm her and ask her how she wormed hers. I only keep captive bred horses.
T

lane2800

Ora actually breeds them, i can't say if this one came from there. but there site does say they breed them. the store i got him from puts the receive date on the tanks of all the fish, and the owner said they had him for 4 months. the tank is around 18" tall

teresaq

Thats good, as long as they know it came from ora. I hadnt heard of them still breeding them.
Its a beautiful horse. Good luck with him. Keep a close eye on your tank temps. The higher the temp, the greater chance of bacterial infections.
Please post a full tank shot for us. We love to see pictures.
T
Oh, keep an eye on that pouch. It looks kinda big, hehehehe

lane2800

he's was hiding but this is his tank. his current tank mates are a sand sifting star, a marble star, a green kenya tree, and a small polyp rock

teresaq

yah, its a bad idea to mix species as they can pass pathogens on to each other, and your tank just isnt big enough for three horses. I would try for a female comes, but you should really qt her for several weeks before adding her to your tank. Horses are very sensitive to new additions especially if they are from a differant source.
T

teresaq

Originally Posted by lane2800
http:///forum/post/3102489
he's was hiding but this is his tank. his current tank mates are a sand sifting star, a marble star, a green kenya tree, and a small polyp rock
looks like you could use some live rock for biofilter in there. using dry rock is better, so you dont get unwanted hitchhikers. Horses are messy so a good biofilter is a must
Are you going to add any more macros? Looks like you need a couple of taller hitched too.
How long has your tank been up and running?

lane2800

tank has been running for 3 months with live sand. the filter was out of an established tank. the kenya tree was a lot taller in the store. will be looking for a taller hitch as well. will probably add a few mushrooms and more polyp rocks.

dive girl

Hi!
It sure looks like a cute little H. comes to me. And he looks like he might be pregnant.
I agree with other members that said it's probably best not to mix species. Most people don't have luck with doing so. I have a few comes for that reason. My son's girlfriend got me a sweet little comes for my birthday. I have a tank for erectus, a tank for dwarves, and now a tank for comes (as well as my reef tank).
Unless you know for sure that your horse was captive raised, I would treat it for parasites. NEVER MEDICATE IN ANY TANK BUT A HOSPITAL TANK. You could kill your biofilter, inverts, or corals.
Ann83, the go-to-girl (actually a woman but go-to-woman just doesn't sound right) for information on seahorse medicine gave me these directions. I hope she doesn't mind if I share them:
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gutloaded with the deworming med; and repeat that for 3 consecutive weeks for each med...
Oh, and here are the "fancy" deworming instructions:
FENBENDAZOLE (granules) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Fenbendazole
Indication: worms and other internal parasites
Brand Names: Panacur, Safe-Guard
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Fenbendazole to the Seahorse.
Repeat for a total of 3 weeks.
• Purchase Fenbendazole granules available as 1gm packets.
• Thoroughly mix a single 1gm packet (~1/4tsp) into one gallon (~4 liters) of water. Please note that the
granules will not completely dissolve.
• This mixture will produce 222mg of Fenbendazole per gallon of water.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the
mixture for at least 2hrs.
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.
• Observe the Seahorse to be certain it is eating the adult brine shrimp.
FENBENDAZOLE (liquid) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: 10% Fenbendazole
Brand Names: Panacur, Safe-Guard
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Fenbendazole to the Seahorse.
• Add ~250mg (2ml or ~1/2 tsp) of the Fenbendazole mixture to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix
thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.
to be continued....

dive girl

METRONIDAZOLE Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Metronidazole
Indication: flagellates and other internal parasites
Brand Names: Metro+, Metro-Pro, Metronidazole, Metro-MS, Flagyl. Flagyl is available by prescription
from your local veterinarian.
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Metronidazole to the Seahorse.
• If using tablets, crush one tablet into a fine powder. If using powder, dose 1/4tsp.
• Add the Metronidazole to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
PRAZIQUANTEL Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Praziquantel
Brand Names: PraziPro, Praz-Tastic, Praziquantel
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Praziquantel to the Seahorse.
• Add 10ml (~2tsp) of Praziquantel to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
Different companies label their doses differently. Noga recommends for prolonged immersion, 2 to 10 mg/L (7.6 to 38 mg/gallon) X 24 hours for dgenean metaceraria. 2 mg/L (7.6 mg/gallon) for monogeneans. I would go with the 2 mg/L. Depending upon what type of systems you have will dictate your exact procedure. Make sure skimmers and UV are off, charcoal is removed. After 24 hours, if treating a system, either flush or add charcoal and turn on the skimmers. Watch you skimmer overflows though, as prazi will make them foam like crazy. A friend in aquaculture recommended repeating this every week for a total of 3 treatments. If you are using barebottom systems, you should siphon the bottoms and concentrate the dirty water to take a sample and examine microscopically. This should help give you an idea of how much of an infestation you have and how the treatment is going. Also prazi can act as an appetite suppressant so watch your feedings and their appetite for the next 48 hours.
End of Ann83's directions.
I'm with Teresa as well on the taller hitches. Last night I was just complaining to my husband that my comes had so many nice hitches and what did they choose to hitch to????? The electrical cords to my powerheads!! Just goes to show you that the fancy stuff is just for us, they like anything.
Once your boy starts to grow, you may need to get a taller tank for him. Watch for local tanks on sale like at garage sales and other internet sites. Something nice and tall, they'll need the space for their courtship dance.

dive girl

YES! That's a great tank!!! By the way, you should deworm your little guy (have you named him yet?) in a 10 QTm not his home as some of the medications aren't good for bio-filters or corals and inverts.
I'm so glad he's eating frozen, that makes it soooooo much easier!
Careful, seahorses are addictive!!
Here's a photo of my comes tank. I've given them lots to hitch on at different depths plus room to move around. They still like the powercords.

teresaq

37 is a great seahorse tank. Nova and Bender both have that size tank.
Bender is setting hers up right now. It was my first seahorse tank, Then I went to a 54 and now I have a 58.

T