(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

cbui2

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
Criticism and jealousy tend to go hand in hand alot in this hobby.
This guys tank is awesome, his reseach has been thourough, and he has chosen to share his experience with us (thank you for sharing!) so that people CAN comment. He can take criticism/reccomendations, he set himself up for it. Seeminly an intelligent individual, Im sure he does not hate mushroomss or anyone else for thier comments good/bad.
Everyone can and will fail at something in this hobby. No one can say they are 'the best'. The BEST is the ocean.
I think starting out with a large tank is just as good a size as any other. Each size (nano--->GIGANORMOUS) has its benefits and drawbacks.
People who bring this forum down with rude comments are a dissapointment. If it wasnt for this reefer's "richness" we would not have been able to see this project. And I for one, am glad I didnt miss it.
The hobby is very diverse and without the different types of people, living arrangements, income, personal tastes etc, it wouldnt be as dynamic as it is.

thanks, but i know its not just this hobby but everything in general. the main reason why i took on this challenge because it was difficult and if i wanted to get spoon fed i would have taken the other route by going to walmart purchasing a 10gal setup for $50 with all the goodies with some betas and goldfish then calling it a day. this will be the last day i talked about negative remarks.

cbui2

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I agree. I want to see and read about the GIANT tank, that I wish I could afford. (Gives me an idea though for my next house.)
Oh, wait, I live in the Phoenix area, so having a tank in the garage is a bad idea.
Guess I'll have to build a "fish room."

thanks, i post all the time on -- but haven't encounter any problems but its ok. phoenix that a great area to have the best setup, but you might need to buy more equipments to get it started, hehe.
maybe like 3 1.5HP chillers for redundancy

cbui2

Ok here are some more updates, and manage to get some work done after coming home from work. sod was removed all along the wall and using 2x4 w/3" wood screws to support the outer wall and 2x6 for inner. This was much better to support than the regular stakes sold at HD, also foam expansion joint boards will be used along the back wall and next to the step. next brick will be spreaded out evenly at the bottom to raise wire mesh up in place than rebar will be place above the mesh which will be tied together to make it more durable since generator and chiller will add about 1500 lbs. slope is from back to front making sure so no puddles are visible and of course mosquito heaven too. slab area is 12'L x 38"W and approximately 6"-7" of concrete will be poured using concrete mixer which holds about 5 80lbs bag instead of using 5 gal buckets for mixing along w/wheel barrel and taking 2 200mg advil for pain. working smarter always pays off in the long run

azfishgal

Originally Posted by cbui2
thanks, i post all the time on -- but haven't encounter any problems but its ok. phoenix that a great area to have the best setup, but you might need to buy more equipments to get it started, hehe.
maybe like 3 1.5HP chillers for redundancy

I must have missed your threads on --, but it's been a while since I've been on. Right now I'm working on my 125 gallon reef, it's in my dinning room. This will be my first summer so we'll see how the heat issue goes, so far so good.
You can see my "nano" tank here: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/251404/azfishgal-new-tank-diary

baloo6969

Originally Posted by cbui2
thanks but that will not be possible, water will not get even near breaker panel or even get on the wood holding the slides. splashes will occur but nothing major unless tidal surges device are installed with 2-4ft seas, lol

Ok, see here’s the thing. All the preparation, studying, AND especially common sense will not prepare you enough for a BIG salt tank, verse’s experience. This is my only concern about this setup. Ahh your right, water can't be splashed 4 inches from a 600 gallon tank all over a breaker panel, that will be powering a closed loop system…
(certainly I am no expert, but speaking from experience, see my “baloo6969’s diary” I have 3 banks of 8 switches 2 feet from my sump…a ph shot water across the stand and all inside of the switches, it doesn’t take much saltwater to short out…I said to myself originally, “that’s not possible”)
You having a +20 amp breaker panel (110..maybe a 220v if your using a 1.5hp chiller on the same panel) …what 4 inches to the left of 600 gallons of saltwater with around 8 inches of the top of the panel perpendicular to the tank…water at some time will splash in that direction…somehow…all I’m saying is you may want to put up a shield parallel to the tank to prevent splashing allover that panel. If there is a failure/short in power at that panel, will you have a overflow/drain issue? Why not be proactive?
But all in all great setup…

cbui2

Originally Posted by baloo6969
Ok, see here’s the thing. All the preparation, studying, AND especially common sense will not prepare you enough for a BIG salt tank, verse’s experience. This is my only concern about this setup. Ahh your right, water can't be splashed 4 inches from a 600 gallon tank all over a breaker panel, that will be powering a closed loop system…
(certainly I am no expert, but speaking from experience, see my “baloo6969’s diary” I have 3 banks of 8 switches 2 feet from my sump…a ph shot water across the stand and all inside of the switches, it doesn’t take much saltwater to short out…I said to myself originally, “that’s not possible”)
You having a +20 amp breaker panel (110..maybe a 220v if your using a 1.5hp chiller on the same panel) …what 4 inches to the left of 600 gallons of saltwater with around 8 inches of the top of the panel perpendicular to the tank…water at some time will splash in that direction…somehow…all I’m saying is you may want to put up a shield parallel to the tank to prevent splashing allover that panel. If there is a failure/short in power at that panel, will you have a overflow/drain issue? Why not be proactive?
But all in all great setup…
thanks, i have overflow protection tied into main sewer system of the house incase of flooding my main sump, also low level protection on all my pump and skimmer in case sump runs dry tied into aqua pro 3 controller. i have incorporated everyone's ideas and mistake to build my system but this is still not the final steps as researching more everyday to better my setup down the line.breaker panel isnt done yet and covered will be placed upon completion. on all the outlets have waterproof shield for any moisture build or splashes that occur, thanks again.

bpaul1201

wow this is the third giant tank thread that i'm watching cant wait to see it completed! oh and i said it once and i'll say it again...
...research your arse off before jumping in! which in your case you did and i see from all the pics you got everything coverd and some that others didnt think of
! i guess doing car audio and etc makes you think a lil out of the box which i see in all the pics, not to mention the craftsmanship
involved to make everything work together!! if i ever get to a tank like this in my life i'll be dropping you a line for advice and maybe offer to pay you for your services from all the woodwork and plumbing. all in all totally awesome!!!!!!!

1journeyman

ok folks, I went through and cleand up this thread a bit.
Mushroomss, you said that you deleted all of your offensive posts. That's not exactly true. Mods have removed some of them for you. I suggest you find a new thread to post on as you don't seem to be able to post constructively.
I for one am amazingly jealous of this tank. My first tank was a 220. i'm proud of how successful it was. You don't have to start small and work your way up....
The original poster has obviously put a lot of time and energy into planning this tank. Post constructively or not at all.

aanthony

crazy tank man. i would do so many horrible things to have one like that. but 1300 gallons, thats massive, if it was me, i would build a pool, fill it with saltwater and make a crazy shark and stingray tank

maxalmon

Everything about this project required someone who is seriously dedicated with reefkeeping, congratulations on having the means and knowledge to attempt such an incredible tank.
This post has caused me to re-think my new 210g sps tank. I plan on adding 2 tanks for fragging both will be 90g with 2/3 dedicated to frags and 1/3 for fuge/sump. Your inspirational design made me think about running both frag tanks counter to the DT, as I'm normally working on frags late at night. I figure that running the 2, 90g frags counter to the DT will also help to keep pH more stable....Thanks for making me think a little harder, lol
The way you layed out the frag tanks and sumps is perfectly simple in design, after viewing your layout I kinda think I can do a modified version.
I'm also thinking about now doing an inwall desing, tearing down another wall, closing off a hallway, tapping into a spare bathroom (removing toilet so that I have a floor drain)...I'll save about 2k by not having to purchase the stand/canopy and figure that I can do all the remodel myself.
Questions,
How long did it take from initial concept till project was started?
How much electrical did you add?
What fail safe systems are you including in the design so that what happened to Oregonreef.com and his skimmer overflow/use of a declorinator tank crash doesn't happen to yours?
Do you have anytype of emergency kit or plan or call list if something goes wrong? (I keep extra phosban, carbon and 50g of fresh water & salt along with extra plumbing fittings etc... set aside)
Whats the one thing about the design that you think is the most important?

Again, thanks for opening my eyes and making me think a little harder

cbui2

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Everything about this project required someone who is seriously dedicated with reefkeeping, congratulations on having the means and knowledge to attempt such an incredible tank.
This post has caused me to re-think my new 210g sps tank. I plan on adding 2 tanks for fragging both will be 90g with 2/3 dedicated to frags and 1/3 for fuge/sump. Your inspirational design made me think about running both frag tanks counter to the DT, as I'm normally working on frags late at night. I figure that running the 2, 90g frags counter to the DT will also help to keep pH more stable....Thanks for making me think a little harder, lol
The way you layed out the frag tanks and sumps is perfectly simple in design, after viewing your layout I kinda think I can do a modified version.
I'm also thinking about now doing an inwall desing, tearing down another wall, closing off a hallway, tapping into a spare bathroom (removing toilet so that I have a floor drain)...I'll save about 2k by not having to purchase the stand/canopy and figure that I can do all the remodel myself.
Questions,
How long did it take from initial concept till project was started?
How much electrical did you add?
What fail safe systems are you including in the design so that what happened to Oregonreef.com and his skimmer overflow/use of a declorinator tank crash doesn't happen to yours?
Do you have anytype of emergency kit or plan or call list if something goes wrong? (I keep extra phosban, carbon and 50g of fresh water & salt along with extra plumbing fittings etc... set aside)
Whats the one thing about the design that you think is the most important?

Again, thanks for opening my eyes and making me think a little harder
thank you all for your kind posts, i always love cutting wood and getting my hands dirty instead of paying some else to screw it up while i can do it myself
. IMO try to plan everything ahead and dont rush on getting it done b/c i know that is the hardest thing to do-patience.
frag tank is a must simply b/c i can't go into main tank every day or so to move corals around and placed frag where i want them. in the near future will probably add another frag tank but for now this will do. also i will mainly purchased mother colonies and will experience with some prize frags.
1. i started my research beginning of the year 07 and ordered the tank 2nd week of jan. as tank was ordered i look deeper into other things as far how to incorporate the water flow, filters, pump and etc.
tank, sump & steel stand took 2.5 months to manufacture so i had alot of time to find other methods getting everything i needed to build the project. gate & ball valves, union, and fittings were ordered before tank made it here so i didnt have to wait for any parts to work on the project)
2. i have added 125a squareD w/24 1" circuits, of course i didnt needed all of these circuits. this is future planning to completely renovate the entire backyard like guest room, bar w/pool table, entertainment center, inground pool and etc.
br />
3. few ideas for failsafe with low level float switch on the skimmer pumps tied into my AC3 Pro. havent finalize the plans yet but will post them when done. if you noticed that steve's tank was a disaster b/c mainly human error as stated for steve. he could have left the CL running for a day or so without the sump until more water could have been made and i was surprised he didnt have any made at the time. of course he also stated he panic when sump went dry and acted asap on the situation. i have 200gal ro/di and 200 gal age saltwater always on hand. plus i can always used my 1st fuge which is 150gal if it get that far which i doubt. as far as filtration media which i ordered bulk amount at a time and will have more than enough. tons of fitting on hand even when ordered was made i always buy more than i need if you didnt see in the photos on wood working or anything i do is overkill. i rather be long then short.
4. i dont believed in one things that is important but all. every pc's of fitting that i took my time adding glue, wood cut and drilled pilot holes then screw in placed so not taking any risk of cracking 2x4 to weaken it, mounting all the unions, ball and gate valves then checking one by one to make sure nothing is leaking, bulks installed than check, cabinets and etc. every part of this project was all taking my time and not rushing to get it done to the best i could do.
thank you, i get alot of my friends coming by telling me your not done yet or how much longer and of course i tell them its never going to get done. i way i look at it you will be constantly working on fine tunning the system or always finding ways to make it better. hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions as i will try my best to reply to them.

john a

LOOKS GREAT but from one fish room guy to another.........SEAL EVERTHING. put plexi glass on everthing tank dont let the water evaporate into the air......or you will end up with a 3000$ mold removal bill and a piss off wife.

maxalmon

Thats a very good point about evaporation, any idea on how much to you'll need for topoff each day. Somewhere around 10g a day?

slowburn22

I just found this thread and started reading about 30 min ago start to finish. Normally I'll look at these projects and just admire them and move on - hoping to emulate them one day. I came to the realization that any time someone does a diary like this one they start a following of people drooling and chasing them around on their knees. The moment mushroom said something off color he had the "Dream tank clan" jumping down his throat. Does it really bother you people that much that you have to devote 2 full pages defending this dude? Can he not just stand up for himself (which he did by ignoring the guy) and let it go?
Like I said, I normally dont comment on these project pages, but It was rediculous watching a bunch of grown @$$ people acting like window lickers.
Oh bad @$$ tank btw... Excuse me if I dont smile like a donught though...

driedbrain

Alright I got an idea! You know how you said your current job is like "Pimp my Ride." You could rebuild your shop and create a t.v show called "Pimp my Fishtank"!!!!!!!!! That would be the #1 show on t.v. Exhibit could host the show and go to random people's house (me first) and put spinners on my skimmers....lol. Im so cool!!

92cg60

Awesome build... tagging along
cbui2 your attention to detail is amazing and you've given me some good ideas for my next project (450g in-wall corner tank) Thanks for taking the time to share and please keep us all posted.