first time mixing SW

annaflowerpower

Hello everyone! I'm new to sw tanks and am trying to save money on water. I've been buying premixed water from my LFS.
Today I ordered a CoralLife 4-stage rodi system. What salt do you recommend I use wheb mixing? I also heard I should have the sw mixed for 24 hours before adding.
Do you have recommendationa on the mixing process?
Do I just dump the salt in water (measured obviously) and mix then next day put in?

flower

Hi,
Have a utility power head in the mixing tub...kind of sprinkle the salt into the water and not have it touch the bottom before being mixed. (do the best you can, I always gave a good stir and added the salt, 1/2 cup at a time until I had the right amount of salt for the gallons in the tub of water. The power head will keep it churning, wait and let it churn 24 hours and then test the SG...add salt, or more RO water as needed to get the right SG to match the display. Add what you are going to, and let it churn 1 or 2 hours to mix again real good, before you test the SG again. Do not use it until the SG matches.
The first few times are a bother to get it to match, but after doing it just a few times, you just kind of know what it takes. Now when I mix my salt to the water, most times it's right on the button the first time I test. salt made for a reef should be used if you are keeping a reef tank, regular salt mix for FOWLR. Whatever brand you select, it's best to always use that same brand each time.
I have used Instant ocean reef crystals, and the Instant ocean salt mix...only because it's the easiest to get from the LFS around here, I have never had any problems with it.

novass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529041
Hi,
Have a utility power head in the mixing tub...kind of sprinkle the salt into the water and not have it touch the bottom before being mixed. (do the best you can, I always gave a good stir and added the salt, 1/2 cup at a time until I had the right amount of salt for the gallons in the tub of water. The power head will keep it churning, wait and let it churn 24 hours and then test the SG...add salt, or more RO water as needed to get the right SG to match the display. Add what you are going to, and let it churn 1 or 2 hours to mix again real good, before you test the SG again. Do not use it until the SG matches.
The first few times are a bother to get it to match, but after doing it just a few times, you just kind of know what it takes. Now when I mix my salt to the water, most times it's right on the button the first time I test. salt made for a reef should be used if you are keeping a reef tank, regular salt mix for FOWLR. Whatever brand you select, it's best to always use that same brand each time.
I have used Instant ocean reef crystals, and the Instant ocean salt mix...only because it's the easiest to get from the LFS around here, I have never had any problems with it.
x2

pegasus

I agree with Flower. IO makes a good salt, and it's all I use. Very consistent. I would like to add that it's a good idea to put a heater and thermometer in the mixing vat. Try to match the temp of the tank so there's no sudden shift in temp when adding the new water. Critters in your tank will appreciate it...

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529503
I agree with Flower. IO makes a good salt, and it's all I use. Very consistent. I would like to add that it's a good idea to put a heater and thermometer in the mixing vat. Try to match the temp of the tank so there's no sudden shift in temp when adding the new water. Critters in your tank will appreciate it...
+1 One of the cheapest pieces of equipment that you can buy is a heater and having an extra heater is very beneficial. You can use this heater to heat your water while it mixes like Pegasus said and the added benefit to an extra heater is that you have a replacement if the one(s) for your display tank stop working properly. On the topic of IO (Instant Ocean) salt mix, I use IO reef crystals and get great readings with it. If you ever plan on getting coral, this is preferable to the standard IO salt. However, many reefers do fine with the standard IO. Seven years ago, I used Instant Ocean and got a bad batch. The pH was all out of wack and luckily I caught it before adding it to the display tank. So when you buy a new batch of salt and mix up some water, always test the water before adding it to the tank. I have nothing against Instant Ocean. There has been a bad batch of every salt mix. It would seem to me that Instant Ocean gets a bad rap for this more than the others, but that could simply come from IO being the most prevalent mix.
One last piece of advice: Get a mesh bag and fill it with rice. Put this in your salt bucket and it will prevent the salt from picking up moisture (to an extent). Clumpy salt should be avoided when possible. Also, you've probably heard this a million times, but you should buy a refractometer. Good Luck!

jay0705

Agreed on all points I use I o salt as well. You can use it w in a few hrs of mixing if you areate it very well. I use 2 pumps in my 5 gal buckets

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529630
Agreed on all points I use I o salt as well. You can use it w in a few hrs of mixing if you areate it very well. I use 2 pumps in my 5 gal buckets
Jay, please don't be mad at me for saying this.
A few hours???? No way is a few hours acceptable, even if you got away with it in an emergency, you should never tell a beginner to do that. When I'm adjusting the SG on a new mix, I wait two hours after adding RO water, just to have it stirred enough to read the right SG.
In an emergency, 12 hours... but standard 24 hours before you add new mixed saltwater...If you need saltwater within two hours...go to the LFS and purchase it premixed.

jay0705

Lol iam not mad. Just surprised. I use to do the day or more and found no diff in my sg. I do use warmer water for my mix to dissolve the salt faster so that could b why. I am just referencing. My own experience safer is always better

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529638
Lol iam not mad. Just surprised. I use to do the day or more and found no diff in my sg. I do use warmer water for my mix to dissolve the salt faster so that could b why. I am just referencing. My own experience safer is always better
I used to dissolve the salt in warm water as well, I think it was Bang Guy, but not sure anymore if was him, or why he said it... I was told that the cold water was better for mixing the saltwater.
At any rate, it wasn't about the SG for waiting to use it 24 hours. it was more like a salt burns, and if all the elements are not dissolved and mixed in, kind of reason. 2 hours is how long I wait after adding more RO to be sure of the SG reading.

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529648
I used to dissolve the salt in warm water as well, I think it was Bang Guy, but not sure anymore if was him, or why he said it... I was told that the cold water was better for mixing the saltwater.
At any rate, it wasn't about the SG for waiting to use it 24 hours. it was more like a salt burns, and if all the elements are not dissolved and mixed in, kind of reason. 2 hours is how long I wait after adding more RO to be sure of the SG reading.
The main reason you wait awhile is to allow time for the oxygen/carbon dioxide to stabilize. Oxygenating the water helps to speed up this process. I use two strong powerheads to stir my water until I see no trace of salt. After a few hours of mixing, I move the powerheads near the surface and let them draw/churn air into the solution for a couple more hours. This works great, which is easily accomplished in a 30 gallon tub. If I were having to mix in a 5G bucket without heavy aeration, I'd most likely let it stir 24 hours. I suppose it all boils down to the mixing process.

jay0705

That's how I look at it. I mix in a 5 gal but I use areation for 50 gal lol its easier to store in the 5 gal buckets. I agree the longer u wait the better. I also do alot of small water changes as aposed to a couple bigger ones. So it's not a huge amount of new sw going in. That could be why I've had no issues. I ve waited days and hrs both w the same results. General rule is of thumb tho is a day or so.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529651
The main reason you wait awhile is to allow time for the oxygen/carbon dioxide to stabilize. Oxygenating the water helps to speed up this process. I use two strong powerheads to stir my water until I see no trace of salt. After a few hours of mixing, I move the powerheads near the surface and let them draw/churn air into the solution for a couple more hours. This works great, which is easily accomplished in a 30 gallon tub. If I were having to mix in a 5G bucket without heavy aeration, I'd most likely let it stir 24 hours. I suppose it all boils down to the mixing process.
LOL... I couldn't explain it to save my life...but oddly, I do understand it. I mix in a 37g container, and I wait 24 hours with it churning. My utility pump is on the bottom pointed up to draw what is on the bottom to the surface, so I guess I'm doing the oxygen/carbon dioxide to stabilize thing.
However...two hours, no way.

pezenfuego

It isn't an exact science (but I suppose it could be). If my back is against a wall, I give it minimally 4 hours. At that point though, you have to weigh the pros and cons. That said, a full day or longer is better. One more thing: If you mix your water for a day and your SG is off a bit, then you don't have to wait another full day after adding the extra salt.

bang guy

In my opinion the typical powerhead is either too weak to mix the salt as you are adding it or so powerful that you're wasting power when keeping it moving.
My suggestion is to use a bucket (the 7 gallon IO Salt buckets are perfect) filled to an even gallon, say 5 gallons, of cold water. Make sure the water is as cold as you can conveniently get. If you need more than 5 gallons then make the water multiple times and pour it into a larger container.
Use a plastic or wooden stirring stick and stir as hard as you can while slowly pouring the salt into the bucket. An easier way is to get a plastic stirrer for your drill and spin it on high as you add the salt. These first couple of minutes are very important to dissolve the calcium and carbonates before they have a chance to react.
If you're using a hydrometer to test the salinity keep in mind that cold water will read more dense than warm so adjust the water accordingly. A refractomerter or conductivity meter isn't going to be significantly affected but the temperature difference so no worries if you have one of those.
After that you can use your el-cheapo power head to keep the water in motion. The water at this point doesn't need any oxygen, it needs CO2 and lots of it so it's important to either aerate the water you keep it in constant motion for good gas exchange.
Just before using the water put in a heater and get it up to temperature to match the display tank.

pegasus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529661
LOL... I couldn't explain it to save my life...but oddly, I do understand it. I mix in a 37g container, and I wait 24 hours with it churning. My utility pump is on the bottom pointed up to draw what is on the bottom to the surface, so I guess I'm doing the oxygen/carbon dioxide to stabilize thing.
However...two hours, no way.
LMAO! Yeah, you're doing the stabilize thingy. Pumping the water towards the top breaks the surface tension, allowing for greater gas exchange. What I described is actually injecting air into the water while breaking the surface tension. It's basically the same process, only in fast-forward. I have a pair of powerheads with suction cups that I stick on opposing corners at the bottom of the vat. This creates a whirlpool effect that essentially sucks the salt off the bottom. After a few of hours and no visible traces left, I move the power heads to the top (opposing corners), just below the surface of the water. This allows the powerheads to suck air into the stream. This saturates the solution with bubbles (like a skimmer), and the rising bubbles basically double the air exchange. Not trying to sound like a smart-aleck, but once salt is dissolved... it can't get any more dissolved. Reefaquarium has an article on mixing salt water. They recommend mixing, heating, and aerating "several hours". Madhattersreef recommends "at least six hours". There are many, many others that say the same/similar thing. I think the 24 hour recommendation is just a CYA suggestion to make sure it's completely blended. Some people can't even boil water, you know...
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals instruction #2: "Stir vigorously to ensure a good mix. Although the Reef Crystals solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium."
On the flip side: Synthetic salt is caustic, so it is imperative
to completely dissolve it before adding it to the tank. Un-dissolved salt settling on the substrate falls under the category of "not good". If your inverts go belly-up and your fish's gills flare and turn blood red, you might want to think about using a longer blend time. Better safe than sorry. That said... whatever method you feel comfortable with is the method you should use.
Edit: I forgot to mention I use a large plastic spoon to stir the bottom center of the vat as I add salt to prevent it from piling up, then occasionally give it a vigorous stir to make sure nothing settles.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///t/396162/first-time-mixing-sw#post_3529697
Bang, why do you think that trace elements dissolve better in cold water?
For the major elements like Calcium, Carbonate, and Magnesium, the saturation level is inversely proportional to the temperature. In other words, the lower the temperature the more Calcium you can dissolve into the water. This is also true for gasses like Oxygen and Carbon dioxide.