free tds meter

renogaw

yea, it cost me .50 because they charge tax in Mass, but had i gotten it shipped to CT it would have been free.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by larrynews
putting the link so people can go to an article is not a copy right violation, copying the article and pasting it is, .....
Corect.
Links that lead to competitor sites have never been allowed.
The issue recently that has come up is people cutting and pasting articles from other sites. That's the current problem people seem to be having.

1journeyman

Reno, I'm not sure about what thread you are referring too. I didn't delete it.

Don't forget though, just because SWF doesn't sell 1 thing doesn't mean the site you referred too isn't a competitor. They may have sold other things SWF sells. Like I said, i'm not sure what link you are referring too but I suspect that was the issue.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Tell that to the investors.
I suspect that's why none of the Mods have deleted or locked the thread. We, in our own way, are trying to tell their investors and customers.
People need to be fully informed on the chain stores they are supporting.

renogaw

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Reno, I'm not sure about what thread you are referring too. I didn't delete it.

Don't forget though, just because SWF doesn't sell 1 thing doesn't mean the site you referred too isn't a competitor. They may have sold other things SWF sells. Like I said, i'm not sure what link you are referring too but I suspect that was the issue.

my thread was deleted on the 11th. i didn't have a link, i just said to google [partnumber].

scsinet

I'm going to post my $0.02 here because this discussion (forum rules and linking) has been one I've been itching to post on several occasions.
To me, the issue surrounding the moderation of these boards is twofold. One, competeitor links. It is a board operated by a private company with their commerical interests in mind.
Fundamentally, I do not completely agree with the way the forum is moderated from a sense of competeitor links. It seems like the approach is double sided. On one hand, the board is for "promoting the hobby" but on the other hand, it more or less says "but not if promoting the hobby hurts swf.com." Okay there I said it.
However, I joined this board and by my 10th post, I got my first warning, understood the rule, and chose to continue posting here, abiding by these rules. If I were a moderator, I'd enforce them, agreeing with them or not. Why? Because we are not a captive audience. We choose to be here, nobody's forcing us. I have a choice every day before I reach down and pick up this computer to live by the rules or go somewhere else. I live by the rules. Quite frankly... I've got a few thousand posts here now. I think the majority of my posts are me giving information, not asking for it. Out of all these posts, I've never had any trouble getting my point across without breaking the rules. To me, it's no big deal.
The second issue is the loose interpretation of those rules. Most of us don't even remember the rules we agreed to when we signed up. To quote them:
Forum Rules
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
Although the administrators and moderators of Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message or any activity that takes place on the Saltwatefish.com Message Boards.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. In addition, all private messages sent can and will be reviewed by the administrators for any inappropriate or unsolicited behavior or advertising. Enter at your own risk.
I'll point out for those of us who didn't read the above rules closely... nowhere in those rules does it say we can't post links. Nowhere does it say we can't mention brand names. Nowhere in there does it say we can't tell people to google links.
However, don't misconstrue that I'm suggesting that that means it's open season. I completely understand and respect the need for judgement calls to be made. Where my objection comes into play is that these rules that continue to be cited during moderation of the boards are either A) unwritten or B) hard to find (as I can't find them). I see over and over again "the rules of swf.com forbid posting of links" (or a similar statement) inserted into posts by mods, yet I fail to find anywhere how I am supposed to know that without messing up and getting my hand slapped, or by stumbling across it being done to someone else and make the connection.
My suggestion to the mods, but in a larger sense Admin, is that the rules be clearly documented and that the moderation of the board be exercised based on those rules. Right now, the only time you see the rules is when you sign up, after that you have to log out and follow the "register" link to see them. It puts the members of this board in a bad spot (and a bad mood) when one day you can't post links but you CAN tell someone to search the web for something, but on another day you can't. One day you can mention a web site name, as long as you don't link to it, but on another day you get scolded. I know it's not that the mods are missing the posts because they have posted themselves in some of these threads. This has got to put the mods in a bad spot too (???) Shouldn't the moderators have a set of polcies at their disposal to use as guidelins for moderating? We as non-moderators and admins I believe have a reasonable right to know what to expect, and for the rules to be applied consistently and fairly.
I really think that it would make everyone a little cooler if we all knew what rules we were to abide (and moderate by) and that everyone had the same reference point to work from.

michaeltx

Since the report bad post is down , the SWF moderators would appreciate it if you would leave the link to any bad (

[hr]
, spam, vulgar, inappropriate) post in this thread for our attention. We will then take care of it as quickly as possible.
PLEASE do not click any links within these posts they can take you outside of this site where you could be vulnerable to viruses and other phishing sites.
Thank you for keeping an eye out and helping us keep this site clean and civil.
Please remember:
The rules of SWF still apply that you cannot post links to other online fish stores, BB's, or sites that have links to those sites even though some of them have great information This includes trying to get around the word cesor and posting things like saltwaterfish dot com. Needless to say, we do NOT tolerate name calling or rudeness or cussing on the site either. Please report all these posts so that we can take appropriate action.
Thanks again for helping us keep it clean.
As each post that is reported is taken care of we will delete the post reporting it so this thread doesn't get to cluttered up.
Mike
this is posted in the new hobbiest forum it does give the basic outline of the rules that we moderators go by. We do however miss posts. we will only leave comments to new members or members we beleive dont know the rules or missed them. To members that have been here or ones that we have mentioned these rules before we automatically delete. do we miss posts absolutely!!! I have found posts were things were missed from 2000 and 2001 I wasnt even a member her then. Do we try to catch them all Yes but miss them occasionally that why there is the report post thread in the new hobbiest section so when we miss something the members can say hey take a look at this.
FWIW
Mike

michaeltx

Originally Posted by J.P
so how do u get this free tds meter?
you will have to do a search as the any link to it also link to other realted itmes that swf.com sells.
Mike

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by nietzsche
i'm done talking about that. nothing will change anyways. anywho, for those of you who need a free tds meter check into it. its free unless you live in the same state theyre from, then you get charged like .78 cents i believe. make sure you're a google user who hasnt used google checkout before and choose free shipping
thank you for the heads up on the TDS meter...i just got mine for $0.72...

jonthefishguy

That was VERY well put quint.. NO WHERE does it say we cant link. Especially when it is educational information on another website.

michaeltx

The rules of SWF still apply that you cannot post links to other online fish stores, BB's, or sites that have links to those sites even though some of them have great information

jonthefishguy

Who wrote that paragraph that you are quoting mike? Was it a moderator or SWF.com?
Also I got my TDS meter as well, price $0.00... CANT BEAT FREE!!!!

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
Who wrote that paragraph that you are quoting mike? Was it a moderator or SWF.com?
Also I got my TDS meter as well, price $0.00... CANT BEAT FREE!!!!
yeah i had to pay $0.72 for tax...ohh well...the government always wants their cut...

scsinet

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
this is posted in the new hobbiest forum it does give the basic outline of the rules that we moderators go by. We do however miss posts. we will only leave comments to new members or members we beleive dont know the rules or missed them. To members that have been here or ones that we have mentioned these rules before we automatically delete. do we miss posts absolutely!!! I have found posts were things were missed from 2000 and 2001 I wasnt even a member her then. Do we try to catch them all Yes but miss them occasionally that why there is the report post thread in the new hobbiest section so when we miss something the members can say hey take a look at this.
FWIW
Mike
Okay I might not have been clear.
I certainly don't mean to imply that the mods are selectively "ignoring" rule violations. I'm saying that they will post in threads that have a certain something in it, but then may act on that certain something another day.
For example, I often see mods posting in threads with very minor things, such as suggesting you search google for a particular thing that will predicably point to a certain site (something that is known to the big posters here that usually will be allowed to pass...). They are just adding to the thread, not moderating anything. I doubt they would post in that thread without seeing it.
But then another day, when someone else does the same thing, they may act on it.
I doubt it's intentional, but it sends the message of double standards.
I do know of the thread you're referring to, I've posted problem threads in there myself.
Journey, Michael, Beth, all of you... I know you guys (and ladies) have a tough job. I'm not trying to stir pots or get blood boiling, and I'm certainly not trying to put you guys on the defensive. One thing that is allowed (and I appreciate) on this board is that the members are pretty much allowed to call the leaders on things, so long as they do it in a mature fashion. I know of many boards that are more draconian, where suggesting the mods do something wrong is a bannable offense. I for one appreciate that. Who knows... maybe one day one of us will be there with you.
However, what I'm suggesting here is not that you guys reply with a reference to a thread where the rule is. The title of the thread you are referencing is
Please report bad post, spam, bad attitudes, and links to competitors here!!!
IMO the title needs to be clearer if that's where people are expected to go to find the rules that are used for moderation. Would it be a good idea to change the title to something more descriptive, such as "Forum Rules and How to Report Bad Posts" or something, where people can at a glance know where to go?
I'm not saying it will solve anything, I could well be wrong. But it might just give people here a clearer idea of what to expect, and it could give you guys an easier time when moderating.
And I want to be clear to all one more time... I am not advocating that just because the written rules at sign up don't say you can't, that you can. I'm just suggesting that perhaps they should be expanded to include that information, and that information should be made more readily available to existing members for their reference.

michaeltx

I wrote that with the rules that we moderators moderate by put towards us from the site and how we look at any of the links posted on the site.
for example if a link is done that has no links to other BB or stores on it we normally leave that link alone. but if we click on it and see banner advertisements, sponsors, or a BB then that link gets deleted.
If its one that we are not sure about we post in the shark tank for a consensus of the other mods before we take action on the link,
Mike

scsinet

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
I wrote that with the rules that we moderators moderate by put towards us from the site and how we look at any of the links posted on the site.
for example if a link is done that has no links to other BB or stores on it we normally leave that link alone. but if we click on it and see banner advertisements, sponsors, or a BB then that link gets deleted.
If its one that we are not sure about we post in the shark tank for a consensus of the other mods before we take action on the link,
Mike
Good information. None of us know there's a hidden forum for mods.
I also think it's good that you guys take the time to evaluate a site, rather than just indiscriminantly deleting the link.
The thing is, you'll never get rid of the margin call... the one offs that mods have to do based on a situation. Clarification of the rules is just a good idea in a general sense IMO.

michaeltx

well in my exoerience that may have to do with time. alot of times I dont have the time to actually look at some of the links and things or skim over a thread and miss things. some us have to be careful aswell because we use the computers at work so clicking a link that we dont know where it goes and for instance takes us to a po--rn site or a post containing po--rn our jobs could be as risk. at times I know myself have remodded a post that another moderator missed. It happens from skimming the thread. when I skim a thread I miss things and am sure everyone here has missed things on posts.
Mike