Getting to know you... getting to know all about you!

melisa3816

Hello my name is Melissa I'm from Shepherdsville Kentucky.I am a mother of three boys and a wife for 11 years,I just got into this saltwater fish stuff been into it for 3 months now and just absolutly love it.The fish I have are the clown fish,Yellow Tang 2 snails and a Damsel.the Clown fish and the Yellow Tang are my favorite.The saltwater fish are so beautiful I can see why they are very popular to get into.I have been on this web site for the past 2 days and everyone on here seems so nice it's nice to know that you can go onto a website and ask questions and get honest answers.So I have a question for you all you might think I am stupid lol but I have to snails and today I have noticed they are stuck to each other not on there shells but the other way lol are they mating and if they are how many babies do they usually have really would like to know this. Just them 2 keep my 20g tank clean don't think I need anymore lol .Thanks again to everyone and glad to be a member here.

J

jdragunas

Hello David, Eric, and Melissa, welcome to the thread!
Melissa, i'm not sure about the snails, but i do know this: tangs need at least a 75 gallon tank or higher (preferrably higher), as they grow quickly, and need a LOT of swimming room. Sorry, i know this isn't the right thread to be talking about that so i'll stop...
lol
How are you enjoying saltwatering?
Jenn

J

jdragunas

Ok, come one... hardly enough people have posted on this thread... I WANT MORE!!!
Jenn

melisa3816

Originally Posted by jdragunas
Hello David, Eric, and Melissa, welcome to the thread!
Melissa, i'm not sure about the snails, but i do know this: tangs need at least a 75 gallon tank or higher (preferrably higher), as they grow quickly, and need a LOT of swimming room. Sorry, i know this isn't the right thread to be talking about that so i'll stop...
lol
How are you enjoying saltwatering?
Jenn

I just love it like I said I'm new to it,yeah I want to get a bigger tank sometime guess I will have to because of the Tang lol,It is nice to met you everyone on here seems really nice .

crystalsta

Hi I'm Darlene, I have been lurking for about two weeks and have been soaking in all the info I can. I have had fw tanks for about 5 years and have been wanting to switch to sw so I finally started my 55. I have ls and lr can't wait till I can add cleanup crew and fish!
I am 36 and have been married for 16 years I have three boys 13,11,9 and two girls(cat and dog) I have always suported hubby's car addiction so it is about time to have my own.
glad to meet you all,
Darlene

J

jdragunas

NIce to meet you darlene. Welcome to SWF.com! I'm glad you enjoy this as much as me! I'm having a blast with my 55, and i can't wait to set up my 35 hex seahorse tank!!! I budgeted yesterday, and it looks like after all is said and done, it'll cost me about $1,300!!! :scared: :scared: :scared: OH well... it's soooo worth it!!! lol I'm so addicted!
Jenn

wieselspor

Well I guess it's time. My name is Ryan. I'm from eastern Washington but live in Seattle right now for dental school. I have a 37g bowfront that has been up for 6 weeks now. I have a couple damsels that i cant catch and two false clowns. A turbo, 6 hermits, 20+ nassaras(sp), and a sally light foot crab. Planning on getting a coral beauty and mandrin when tank gets going. I got married in June of 2004, and when I went to look at fish with my wife this weekend she wanted all of the larger fish, but I told her we can't have them in our small tank. So now I have the go ahead to up grade. Yehaw! Maybe in 3 years when I start practicing I will have some cash flow to have a large tank. Anyways it good to hear from everyone. And yeah I'm a fishaholic I've had fresh water for a while but have waited to start a saltwater tank because i'm always moving as a student.

J

jdragunas

Hi ryan, nice to meetcha! My hubby did the same thing at the pet store, he wanted to get all of the big fish too! I don't really need permission to get a big tank, though, because i'm in charge of all of our finances...lol!!!

Anyone else??? Pretty please???
Jenn

mikeyjer

I took these with my phone, not great pictures, but it shows my babies. "Alexis" the Siberian Husky and "Willie" the Blue & Gold Macaw...Can't take pictures of my fish, they move around too much to take it with a phone... I also have a B&W Heniochus by the way,,,from the previous post, they're kewl fish...

Michael

J

jdragunas

That's an amazing bird!!! I want one sooo bad!!!
Snailheave, he's not dead... at least i don't think! :thinking: lol He just plays dead when he feels threatened, it's a defense mechanism.
I'm dissapointed, i was hoping more people would want to partake in this fun game!
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SHARED!!!

Jenn

jojo_b

hi all. Jojo here.
i actually don't have a sw tank, but am responsible for a couple at work. so i've been here trying to soak up information as fast as possible to avoid killing my charges. :scared:
when i started the job, i thought i'd totally get into this side of the hobby (i have a fw at home), but reading here has convinced to wait until i have a little more $$$ before i start.

snailheave

Originally Posted by jdragunas
That's an amazing bird!!! I want one sooo bad!!!
Snailheave, he's not dead... at least i don't think! :thinking: lol He just plays dead when he feels threatened, it's a defense mechanism.
I'm dissapointed, i was hoping more people would want to partake in this fun game!
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SHARED!!!

Jenn

get that mimzy person to excite thungs up

J

jdragunas

Hi jojo, welcome to the thread. Yes, it's definately a good idea to wait for $$$ before getting started! This hobby is a money vampire.
Jenn

ppm411

Hey all. My name is Paul. I'm a poet and didn't even know it.
I'm a database programmer for a small software comapny located in MA. Since I work remotely either at home or at my clients I'm able to spend some extra time with my tank shhh..

A little about my aquarium exp:
I had a fresh water tanks most of my childhood. I had a 30g and a 20g. Most of the common fish that everyone buys. Gouramis, danios, tetras, zebras, neons etc. At one point someone gave me 2 fully grown oscars. Those were fun, especially during feeding time!
About a year ago a friend gave me a 75g bowfront that was a salt set up. 404 Fluval, SeaClone 100, sump with bio balls etc. That got me thinking about setting one up. Months and months passed, and about 4 weeks ago I stopped in a pet store callec "Aquarium Adventure" with my gf. Everytime I went in there I had the itch to set something up. I dug my 30g out of my parent garage, sanded and painted the stand, and started looking over the equipment that my buddy gave me. I figured I would set the 30g up first just to get used to maintaining the water etc before I took the leap into the 75g. Long story short, I have since read, Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies, and the Consciention Aquarist, and have set up my 30g. I have the Fluval 404 hooked up and turned down a bit. I'm going to add a protein skimmer at some point but the SeaClone 100 has a leak (common problem based on what I've read in the oh so useful swf boards). I'll probably buy a new one unless I can figure out a way to plug the leak. So, I filled the 30g with live sand and dead rock that was left over from the 75g. I cycled with 3 damsels. Not cool as I found out but I didn't know any better.
Anyway, I was so psyched when the trites went down to 0 in about 2 weeks. Yesterday, I took the poor damsels back and picked up 2 false percs. They are awesome.
So much more social than the damsels. The damsels were skiddish and hid anytime someone walked in my room. Next on the list is a cleaner shrimp and/or some snails. I'll probably wait until the end of the week to do that. I don't want to max out my bio-load so I'm being extra selective. I may go with a goby or blenny after the shrimp and that will probably be about it. I made a few posts here on swf.com as I was starting out and everyone was more than helpful. Great find, thanks to my google search. Good to meet you all.. :happyfish

J

jdragunas

Hey there Paul! welcome to the thread! Shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, and any other cleaners don't really count in the whole "bio-load" thing because they eat the waste, instead of creating more. You can really add shrimp snails and hermies all at the same time!
don't you love this hobby? It's so much fun!!!
Jenn

ppm411

It is a lot of fun... I'm hoping to stick with it for a while. I just can't wait to get the 75 going. Patience is a virtue as was all know. How do the hermits behave.. are they simply hermits or is there going to be some entertainment value here? :joy:

tinmanny

Hi gang my name is Manny I am in my fifties and work in sheet metal also run the training program for sheet metal apprentices. I wanted something to distract me so I can relax and sw is so beautifull and colorfull it is very interesting. I am looking forward to creating my own reef tank and choosing the colors and life I put in it, because it takes time I believe it will be of much intrest for years to come. I already have the tank it is a 90g and I am building the stand now. This becomes all consuming at times and that is the distraction I have been looking for Good luck to all

J

jdragunas

i don't see my hermies most of the time... no real entertainment value there, but your clownfish should be enough!!! lol
Jenn