Getting to know you... getting to know all about you!

J

jdragunas

Hi manny, i like your username! Welcome to the thread, and welcome to the hobby! I hope you find it as relaxing and fun as we all do!
jenn

tinmanny

Thanks Jenn it fits me well, and I already know it will be a lot of fun. I can hardly wait for the next iten on the list and I am always looking on line or right here reading can't get enough :jumping: :jumping:

tinmanny

Jenn was it you who fell or your husband and if so how are you doing

on your honeymoon red it in bigest errors or what ever it was.
that will kill a honeymoon

J

jdragunas

lol, sorry to burst your bubble, but no one fell... i posted that to see how many people actually read the whole thread... not very many people! you're only the 3rd person who noticed it. I also thought it would be funny because it had nothing to do with the thread at all... i have a very peculiar sense of humor... *nervous giggle*
Jenn

tinmanny

That is funny I did read the whole thing
at least you are not broken. Remember that I saw I did read and I did ask

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by jdragunas
That's an amazing bird!!! I want one sooo bad!!!
Snailheave, he's not dead... at least i don't think! :thinking: lol He just plays dead when he feels threatened, it's a defense mechanism.
I'm dissapointed, i was hoping more people would want to partake in this fun game!
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SHARED!!!

Jenn

He is an amazing bird, but VERY loud!!!! I used to raise birds for over 5 years, smaller parrots. I've always wanted a large parrot and now I do, he kills me sometime. He can be sweet at times though. We have the same birthday by the way, which I didn't know until we brought him home. The lady wrote his birthday on a piece of paper and I didn't read it until I got home. It was kinda neat, I could have any parrot and I got one with same birthday!!!

oceanist

jenn
here my boy meemo
second one it more like he should be called garfield
and third one .............. guess who .....
i have a long haired cat to but he is camera shy

J

jdragunas

Awwwe, what a cute kitty kitty kitty!!! I love cats, only the hubby is deathly allergic!!!
I want a cat soooo bad!
Jenn

mikeyjer

Awwwe, what a cute kitty kitty kitty!!! I love cats, only the hubby is deathly allergic!!!
I want a cat soooo bad!
Jenn

I'm highly allergic to cats too, partner wants a simese cause that's what my partner's mom use to raise. So NO cats in this house, plus my bird would hate it. I'm allergic to dogs too, but as long as they get regular bath, I'll be fine. I used to have 3 dogs and I was fine. I do all the bathing for the dogs, that includes anal gland cleaning.. :hilarious
I did read about you falling off the cliffs, was wondering about that, but didn't make a comment. Good thing you didn't fall off cause I did fall off a bridge once and it wasn't fun, I've damaged my back for the rest of my life and it hurts when weather changes or when I do too much walking, which I have to because of my work, Restaurant Management.

J

jdragunas

Ouchy!!! I have a bad back too, so i know what that's like. I got in a horrible bike accident when i was 8, long story short, i landed on my face, chipped my chin bone, broke a finger, and compacted my spine, giving me sculliosis (sp?), a slipped disc in my lower back, and arthritus in my upper back... It hasn't gone out on me in a very long time, though!

Yeah, i've always wanted a big bird, but the hubby is allergic to everything except for fish & lizards, so we have a lot of those... lol I always joke w/ the hubby, telling him that when he dies, i'm replacing him with a cat, a golden retriever, and a big bird! lol
Jenn

mikeyjer

Ouchy!!! I have a bad back too, so i know what that's like. I got in a horrible bike accident when i was 8, long story short, i landed on my face, chipped my chin bone, broke a finger, and compacted my spine, giving me sculliosis (sp?), a slipped disc in my lower back, and arthritus in my upper back... It hasn't gone out on me in a very long time, though!

Yeah, i've always wanted a big bird, but the hubby is allergic to everything except for fish & lizards, so we have a lot of those... lol I always joke w/ the hubby, telling him that when he dies, i'm replacing him with a cat, a golden retriever, and a big bird! lol
Jenn

That's funny Jenn!!!

I wouldn't suggest a large parrot for any new owners though, they require experienced handlers. Otherwise you can be in for a big problem or even get yourself hurt. A large macaw can do a lot of damage, example, a lady who had one for years and she was very experienced, but she had her parrot near her face, the parrot turned on her and tear part of her face and it scar her for life. She had lots of stitches. NEVER trust a parrot with your face!!!! I had a goffin cockatoo bit into my finger once and it was a deep cut, took a long time to heal. You could try a small parrot like a Green Cheek Conure or a parrolet even. They're not extremely dusty and they're a lot of fun, GREAT personality and funny to watch. Get a air filter by it's cage, that would eliminate any dust floating around the house and regularly clean their cage like once a day, clean water (I use drinking or RO water) and fresh food (Preferably veggies, fruits, pasta, etc. in a separate bowl) always keep a bowl of pellets for them to feed on. Also regular bathing would cut down on the dust too!!! I take mine into the shower with me.

mudplayerx

My dad had saltwater tanks when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago. I had been wanting one ever since.
I have had freshwater tanks pretty much my entire life. I am 27 years old as of this thread. I started out with carnival goldfish, much like a lot of the people who get involved with freshwater fish. I purchased a pictus catfish for my goldfish tank and the two fish formed some sort of bond instantly. Wherever the goldfish swam, the catfish swam right underneathe it. Ever since then I was addicted.
I had always been in love with the freshwater plants associated with the hobby. I tried many years to grow them and they always just got worse and worse until they eventually died. Just recently (about 2 years ago) I began to research freshwater plants. I learned how CO2 injection, liquid and solid fertilizers all helped to grow healthy plants.
Most importantly was the day I decided to go out on a limb and make a natural tank. I put 1 inch of green moss on the bottom of the tank. Above that I put 2 inches of red clay dug from my backyard (Tennessee). Above that I put 2 inches of white sand. The results were astonishing. Wiyh C02 injection, fertilizer additions, and the substrate I just described...the plants were growing TOO fast.
2 years later I was successfully breeding freshwwater fish and plants. I necame bored and started toying with ghost shrimp that always perished. After my grandfather sold his house and gave me a huge check, I dived into the saltwater hobby.
Here I am, 9 months into the hobby. I think the best weapon against failure is an internet connection and the willingness to read read read. :joy:

J

jdragunas

YAYAYAYAY!!! Four pages!!! How fun.
Mike, i was thinking of more like a conure or something along those lines. I had friends in florida who had a cockatoo. He was amazing, but sooo loud. I was holding him on my hand, and he grabbed ahold of my shirt with his beak, and stuck his head down my shirt. He wouldn't come out, not even for a cheerio! I was running around the house trying to find someone that lived there, but they were all out, and the one person there was in the shower. I had to stand there for like 15 min with that stupid bird's head down my shirt. He wasn't even doing anything, just sitting there... i was the funniest thing ever!!!
Mud, i completely agree with you about the internet connection thing. God only know where my tank would be right now if i didn't have this board!
Anyone else wanna take the plunge??? Reveal all your deepest darkest secrets???
OOOOOOHHHHHH I'm going to see Corpse Bride tonight!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited!!! I love Tim Burton!!!
Jenn

snailheave

OOOOOOHHHHHH I'm going to see Corpse Bride tonight!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited!!! I love Tim Burton!!!
Jenn

yeah i am gay. and i hope burton is too.

mikeyjer

YAYAYAYAY!!! Four pages!!! How fun.
Mike, i was thinking of more like a conure or something along those lines. I had friends in florida who had a cockatoo. He was amazing, but sooo loud. I was holding him on my hand, and he grabbed ahold of my shirt with his beak, and stuck his head down my shirt. He wouldn't come out, not even for a cheerio! I was running around the house trying to find someone that lived there, but they were all out, and the one person there was in the shower. I had to stand there for like 15 min with that stupid bird's head down my shirt. He wasn't even doing anything, just sitting there... i was the funniest thing ever!!!
Mud, i completely agree with you about the internet connection thing. God only know where my tank would be right now if i didn't have this board!
Jenn

That's very funny!!! Not all conures are good though, most of them are just as loud as the larger parrots. Green Cheeks however, they're the quietest of all conures. :happyfish

J

jdragunas

lol, well i'm not planning it yet... i think the hubby's going to be around for a while still... *sigh* lol j/k
Jenn

J

jdragunas

Come on, i know there's so many people out there who haven't let it out yet... anyone?
Jenn