GOING WAY TOO FAR

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/394311/going-way-too-far/20#post_3509741
Did she make a stupid decision? Yes. Should there be some form of reprimand? Absolutely. Should she lose her job? Not a chance in Hell.
The road this country is going down in scary. Political correctness is running unchecked and is starting to get to the point of being dangerous. ACLU? Ugh.
First of all, if this country has any chance of turning things around, it's going to start with educating kids in this country. For that to be successful, you need good teachers, who are willing to take on a s**t job in a lot of cases. They already have to jump through a hundred hoops (get your masters, take continuing ed classes, get re-certified in everything every few months, go to this training, go spend more money on classes, etc). The last thing teachers need, is the fear that anything and everything will get them fired.
This women did something stupid, no doubt. However, now you have yet another person who will be on her butt looking for work. Not just anyone, but a former teacher who was fired for "just cause". And I just so happen to live about 15 minutes from Buchtel, and from what I hear she is/was a really good, well respected teacher who a lot of kids loved.
***Disclaimer*** I just felt really "conservative" writing this post, and it kinda felt good

I agree completely. But, did she get fired? I thought it was under consideration...

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/394311/going-way-too-far/20#post_3509741
Did she make a stupid decision? Yes. Should there be some form of reprimand? Absolutely. Should she lose her job? Not a chance in Hell.
The road this country is going down in scary. Political correctness is running unchecked and is starting to get to the point of being dangerous. ACLU? Ugh.
First of all, if this country has any chance of turning things around, it's going to start with educating kids in this country. For that to be successful, you need good teachers, who are willing to take on a s**t job in a lot of cases. They already have to jump through a hundred hoops (get your masters, take continuing ed classes, get re-certified in everything every few months, go to this training, go spend more money on classes, etc). The last thing teachers need, is the fear that anything and everything will get them fired.
This women did something stupid, no doubt. However, now you have yet another person who will be on her butt looking for work. Not just anyone, but a former teacher who was fired for "just cause". And I just so happen to live about 15 minutes from Buchtel, and from what I hear she is/was a really good, well respected teacher who a lot of kids loved.
***Disclaimer*** I just felt really "conservative" writing this post, and it kinda felt good

I think the whole thing was blown out of proportion, but don't feel the least bit sorry for her.....Poor judgement, but guess what.....She gets what she gets for using poor judgement.....She choose the profession so big deal she needs a masters, and has to be re certified every so often and continue taking classes.....Is a teachers profession the only field that requires this.....Big deal!!!!!!
Hopefully she didn't loose her job, but wouldn't feel sorry and again we all face the same consequences in our professions if we use poor judgment....

stdreb27

I have quite a few friends who are teachers, and they commonly post photos of their kids, and their kids work. Whether it be them at a choir thing, or the kids shaving the teacher's head for some accomplishing a year long goal. I fail to see how photos of actions on public property would be a violation of their privacy.
Now, had it turned out that the teacher was taping up kids mouths out of malice, then that needs to be handled. But that is what you get when you have incompetent people running schools... Kids playing around with duct tape, getting the teacher in trouble...