Got a surprise this afternoon...

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3156842
CongraTs indeed.
Very cute little guys. How long until you can --- them?
Usually around three weeks. But you have to look carefully because they can look similar at that age.
Oh....and a little tidbit of info for anyone who doesn't know the average gestation for a rabbit...31 days. So...after looking at the calendar....these little ones were most likely concieved September 17th...4 days after I brought the doe and buck home....and they'll be ready to leave my home December 17th. Just in time for Christmas!

nw2salt08

Well, my doe is still contracting this morning. I palpated her and she has another on the right side (dead most likely) so we're waiting on her to pass this one. She doesn't seem to worse for the wear considering. She's eat and drinking. Babies are still warm and content. They'll be 1 day old as of 1:30p

nw2salt08

Well, she was progressing on birthing the last dead kit so I jump started her contractions and gave her a berry flavored tums (calcium restarts their contractions) at 2:30p and she birthed the last kit at 4:45p. This was a large kit...twice the normal size. There was no way she could've kindled this poor baby. It was huge. Mama settled down after I removed it and contractions have stopped. All is well in the nestbox. Babies are warm and have rounded bellies. They start getting their hair tomorrow!

nw2salt08

Well, as I feared, the doe has rejected the babies altogether. I came home from a 4 hour drive to get my son from his dad's and they were starting to get cold and weak. So, whether right or wrong, I have decided to undertake hand feeding. It's the best chance they have of making it right now. I mixed up some formula and fed little drop by little drop til their tummies were rounded. They are now sleeping warmly in my shirt and have regained their temp. The doe is just inexperienced. We'll try breeding back again later. Depending on if these kits make it will depend when I breed her back to my buck. We'll see. I'll keep ya'll updated.

nw2salt08

Nothing can replace mother's milk but she just won't feed and I tried to foster feed but she won't have it and repeatedly would throw a fit if the kits latched on. I am too afraid that she'll injure them from trying this method so handfeeding is the only option at this point. They took to it pretty readily. Their tummies fill up really quick. They only can take 2-3cc's of milk at a time for the moment. I'll definitely keep you updated.

teresaq

I did this with 3 wild rabbit babies. I was about 14. Thier nest had been run over by a lawnmower. One baby had a little nick in the belly. They all made it. I used pet milk and karo syrup. Now they have formula so they have a better chance.
Hope all works out with them
T

nw2salt08

That's awful that their nest got hit by the lawnmower but very glad that you were diligent and took care of them. And that they made it.

Another update and a very good one! So...after researching til 4am, I found another approach to getting the doe to feed the babies. The info said to take the doe and place her on top of the kits. The kits will find their way and feed. And to pet the doe to keep her calm. The kits will wriggle their way from underneath the doe and fall asleep when their tummies are full. Tried it and it worked!
She even cleaned them afterwords to stimulate the bathroom process! Major score! We'll try this a few times and if she continues to show the same outcome then we can try the nestbox again! We'll be trying this again later this evening. They only feed their babies twice a day and for a few minutes at a time until the milk really starts coming in and they start to really grow. So good report this morning!

nw2salt08

Sorry for some slightly blurry pics. These little boogers crawl pretty quick for 2 day old bunnies and I'm not too awake.
They are starting to get their signature sheen which is great for a mini satin. I really hope the spotted baby is a doe. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it regardless. lol

S

smartorl

Ok, as we used to have a barn of around 50 show bunnies, I would like to offer some advice. First, ditch the cedar, use either kiln dried pine or aspen, or better yet towels or fleece. Cedar causes respiratory problems and could lead to URI's in the babies really quickly, especially within the confines of that stale environment within a rubbermaid container. Be prepared, they could already be compromised, which could be why mom started to reject them. It is unusual for a mom to start taking care of them and then stop. Handling them per se isn't bad, it is an old wives tale however, it could be stressing the doe and also causing her to reject them. What are their normal cages like? Ideally, the babies should have a nesting box with one slightly lowered side so mom can come and go and have some privacy. Her normal cage with a nesting box would probably be alot more relaxing for her. Rabbits like to be able to see, they are in fact a prey animal and I have found being unable to see around tends to make them stress over time.

nw2salt08

Originally Posted by smartorl
http:///forum/post/3157602
Ok, as we used to have a barn of around 50 show bunnies, I would like to offer some advice. First, ditch the cedar, use either kiln dried pine or aspen, or better yet towels or fleece. Cedar causes respiratory problems and could lead to URI's in the babies really quickly, especially within the confines of that stale environment within a rubbermaid container. Be prepared, they could already be compromised, which could be why mom started to reject them. It is unusual for a mom to start taking care of them and then stop. Handling them per se isn't bad, it is an old wives tale however, it could be stressing the doe and also causing her to reject them. What are their normal cages like? Ideally, the babies should have a nesting box with one slightly lowered side so mom can come and go and have some privacy. Her normal cage with a nesting box would probably be alot more relaxing for her. Rabbits like to be able to see, they are in fact a prey animal and I have found being unable to see around tends to make them stress over time.
The babies are no longer in the rubbermaid box. I didn't have a nesting box because I didn't expect her to be pregnant nor planned to breed her just yet. She didn't reject them when I assisted her with the feeding earlier and she took to them quite readily. The normal cage is a wire cage with a removable pan underneath the wire on the bottom. The doe is back in her regular cage. I have to build a better cage for rearing purposes. It's just not big enough for the nesting box and for her to have the room that I would allow for roaming outside of the box. Like I said, this was completely unexpected. I didn't know that they had been together. The children did not tell me that they let them out together. I had specifically told them not to and they did any way. These babies are getting cared for by a doe that has never had kits. She is now caring for them quite well. They haven't been compromised and are declared healthy by the vet.

S

smartorl

First, I was trying to help. Up until the kids got into college and we started having too many other interests, we were a nationally ranked rabbitry. We ranked number two in the state of Florida and went to the ARBA nationals for over 15 years, always placing. I have bred and shipped rabbits across the US. If you would like to pm me, I can give you the name and stats. I was offering timely help because those guys can take a turn for the worse and once in a nose dive, little will be able to be done........ Cedar bedding contains noxious oils, very hard on the respiratory systems on small animals, on babies, it is most certainly lethal. I realize you were caught unawares, it happens. I was not trying to be rude and if you think you have all the answers......then by all means proceed.

nw2salt08

I never said that I have all the answers now did I? I have been ill and these little babies were a surprise. Now, I am glad that you have all the prestige and everything. That's great. Not trying to sound like I am undermining you in any way. I am doing the best I can considering the situation. NOW....I have improved upon the TEMPORARY situation! Tell me what you think of it and if I need to IMPROVE it. I had some wood in my garage and some wire. This is what I put together today with my stepson's help. It is in a portion of my kitchen and I didn't use any cedar shavings. I used shredded paper in the nesting box.