GreenReefer's 24 gallon Aquapod

greenreefer

It begins...
This is my second go round with nano tanks. About 3 years ago I had 2 24 gallon aquapods setup with sunpods and loved them, but I decided to trade them in and go "bigger and better". I went to a 72 gallon bow front, then a DIY 65 gallon frag tank, then a 125. Earlier this year I decided to move office buildings (actually built a really cool new building for growing technology companies, but more on that another time) and so I broke down everything, sold the equipment, shipped my favorite corals to my mom, and took a break. New building is done so I'm starting with an Aquapod in my office and then later this fall we'll probably setup something big in the lobby.
I just received the sunpod and the tank should be here on Monday. I'm replacing the stock pump with a rio hyperflow 8HF with a SCWD and adding a second return on the opposite side of the tank. I'll make sure to snap pics as I set that up.
Today I built the egg crate/pvc structure that I will cover with foam, rock, and sand. The idea was to make a structure that is equally interesting from all 3 viewable sides with a rock canyon type feel. I built some pvc into the structure that will end up being completely hidden that can be used for additional flow if I decide I need that later.
I know you guys like pics, but the tank isn't here yet, so here are some pics of the structure pre foam. More to follow as I add the foam and rock.

king_neptune

TAG!
i just started a new nano tank yesterday as well.
I think ill put up a diary too.i plan to follow this.
if you need any thoughts on foam wall construction...hears my 125g ROckwall:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/349033/neptunes-125-reef-diary/80
starting page 5, ending page 7 i think. learn from my success and failure.
i do have a question...it looks like your not going to have much room for live rock, how many pounds you plan on putting in?

greenreefer

not much, maybe 10 lbs. I've done foam walls a couple of times now and I've had good luck with using lots of coral skeletons (found at the beach) and only as much foam as is needed to get them to stay put, then seed it with a small amount of live rock. I haven't tried this before but I'm thinking about busting up some LR and super gluing the rubble to the wall for some extra dimension.
I'll check yours out and thanks for following along!

king_neptune

I agree %100 that foam walls significantly reduce the amount of LR you need to maintain.
since they populate with the same bacteria as LR...and WAY fast/better.
I just wasnt sure if you were planning on using any at all or not.

king_neptune

anything new? i was curious how it all panned out. considering how small a nano tank is..and that you seem to be filling up alot of real estate with this foam wall.

greenreefer

I'm not that fast :), just a little bit each day. I'll probably get enough done tomorrow for some new pics. The tank doesn't even show up until Monday or Tuesday so I'm in no rush.
Good to have you along for the ride shoresidejake

king_neptune

^^
im chafing at the bit on the nano system, cant get my dad off his chair to get the RO-system installed. I wanna start making water so i can salt it up over the weekend. supposed to be ordering the LR on monday, but cant do that till there is stable saltwater ready to go.

greenreefer

So probably no new pics until the tank arrives. I want to fit the main structure in the tank and trim it to fit the 2 returns before foaming it. I did start foaming the 2 front structures, might finish them tomorrow.

greenreefer

all of the black squares on the egg crate represent openings to be left for frag plugs. I think between the 3 pieces its somewhere close to 75

greenreefer

Anybody got a good recommendation for a clip on fuge light that works well and looks decent? This will be used over one of the back chamber of my aquapod.

greenreefer

Are you referring to the neo led one? I can't seem to find much data on the Kelvin temp equivalent of those to know if they will provide what chaeto needs. Did your chaeto grow under those?