Guides for New Hobbyists

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/388776/guides-for-new-hobbyists/120#post_3496177
he as to be sure he has the gasket on the right side of the glass
I'd wondered the same at first and then I thought that surely, Shawn knows where to put the gasket. He only has several holes drilled on the tank with bulkheads in them already that aren't leaking. Pretty sure it's cracked, he said he can see the gap open up when he threads to fitting into the back of it.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388776/guides-for-new-hobbyists/120#post_3496195
I'd wondered the same at first and then I thought that surely, Shawn knows where to put the gasket. He only has several holes drilled on the tank with bulkheads in them already that aren't leaking. Pretty sure it's cracked, he said he can see the gap open up when he threads to fitting into the back of it.
Honestly no clue as to what's going on.....I buy all my bulkheads from them and have put my fair share of bulkheads in over the years.....
Gasket is on the correct side, but the issue lies in the backside of the bulkhead that is threaded, I'm screwing in a threaded 90. The first bulkhead I might admit to putting a bit to much.....(had the pliers handy.....), but the 2nd bulkhead I realized my mistake and went hand tight.....I know dang well I'm not that strong, and the fitting isn't even close to being bottomed out.......Both bulkheads are cracked in the same general area from the end of the bulkhead and splits about 3/4"......I thought the past couple times I ordered bulkheads they looked a bit rough or poor production, but starting to think that they are just crappy.....Might try my other source Savko......
FYI I have reversed bulkheads in the past due to space issues and had no problems with leaks.....Not in a pressure issue such as this use though....

snakeblitz33

I know glass holes overflow bulkheads are installed backwards from what you should actually install them, but mine came with two gaskets and some magic lube. I love that magic lube stuff... and it didn't really take all that much to get a really good seal.

acrylic51

Seth.....Magic lube......
I solved the bulkhead issue....I'd have to say bottom line poor quality bulkheads.....Sched 80 should have been a little better....I broke down and bought local here Spears sched 80 and honestly a bit of a difference between the 2. What I know now, wouldn't buy other than Spears.....Installed the Spears identical as the previous and no issues.....

acrylic51

Seth have you done a discussion on Co2 scrubbers for skimmers......The winter months are upon some of us......

snakeblitz33