Gun Suggestion(for protection)?

lovethesea

OH and if someone was trying to break into my house they would regret it. BUT if for some reason they lived through it they would not have any legal loophole. Because if someone that I did not know was on my roof and accidently fell through the roof...........and fell on something in my house.....well lets just say it would not be viable for court.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Bronco300
we cant have a dog, leia is very allergic, we're lucky to have a cat....but not sure our cat can be that mean even if she is a mix of a leopard,lol

try introducing her to a spitz breed. they don't have dander, which allows them to be kept by allergic people.
sheebos, keshonds, akitas, etc. not suggesting you not get a gun, but if you wanna try a dog, i doubt she'll be allergic to these dogs :)

teresaq

also try a standard poodle. My husband carries a glock, and we have another here in the house. We also have a german shepard, and hopfuly soon another doberman. (we lost our other to old age a couple of yr ago) I would hope someone wouldnt be stupid enough to try and get in my house.

phunckie

I own (and HIGHLY recommend) Ruger.
I have a Ruger 9mm, and I LOVE it.
ok,thanks, what are some good brands to look through...glock? smith and wesson,beretta?

phunckie

Also, avoid Taurus like the plague....
Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
Glocks are great its the hand gun carried by most law enforcment officers . Berreta is good too . S&W has moved in to the semi auto market with the M&P series . I would stay away from the super cheap brands such as lorcin . They are nothing more than junk and will with out fail either jam when you need them the most or cause you personal injury .These are more for the punk gang bangers looking for cheap protection .

ecooper

is something you can shoot well and control. There are some really great forums out there related to handguns for all of the major manufacturers: Beretta (my favorite), Springfield XD (another favorite), Walthers, Glocks, etc. Go luck up the info for the best decision.
However, don't do anything without shooting them first. Go to a gun range and rent some. 9mm is good to start with, but each to their own.
A lot of people will say glock all the way, but I don't like the grip or angle of them. YOU HAVE TO SHOOT BEFORE YOU BUY. If you buy it and can't shoot it or don't like it, it may not do much for you if you ever really need it.
Good luck.

acrylics

I'd go one of three ways w/ order in *my* personal preference:
Pump shotgun, not as maneuverable as a handgun but plenty accurate, esp for the application. Can use several "less than lethal" rounds such as bean bags or rubber pellets, so your fiance's mind may be eased a little. NO intruder wants to hear the sound of that forend chambering a round. I load the first 2 rounds with bean bags, alternating 00 buck & slugs after that for my home shotgun. Prefer Remmington 870 or Mossberg. New $200-300, used ~$200 or so
Revolver, mine is S&W in .357 w/ 4" barrel but see what fits you and yours best, plenty of stopping power, you can practice using .38s making it cheaper to practice with. Yeah, it doesn't hold 17 rounds, so what. If you don't hit or scare an intruder off with 5-6 rounds, what makes you thing the next 10 will do any better. They are ultra-reliable, will not jam, if you had a bad round - pull the trigger again. New $400-600, used ~$300-400
Semi-auto, probably Glock or Springfield XD for the lower price ranges and still a good pistol. 9mm will be just fine as would .45. I too have a 10mm as noted above but rounds are expensive so practicing gets expensive. These weapons usually hold 10-19 rounds, good & solid weapons, relatively cheap to practice with. Jams are a possibility but a remote one, bad rounds must be cleared which would be horrid in a life n death situation, although this is indeed quite rare with good ammo. New $500-600, used $350-450
For any handgun round, use the safety slugs (as noted above) or frangible bullets so they don't go through walls and into your neighbor's house.
Take training classes or join a gun club at a local range if available, local gun clubs usually offer several courses of training from simply familiarity to home defence to tactical courses. Practice practice practice, this is also where the local range comes in handy.
Ask your local PD for advice as well, they see this kinda stuff far more than most and will usually have good advice.
While I like shooting, one is *usually* as well served by making a ton of noise if they hear an intruder in the house. A whistle or clanging of anything will let the intruder know someone is awake, this itself would drive off most. For the rest of 'em, let 'em know you're armed by racking the forend, slide, or cocking the hammer. A firearm can often be used as deterrent as much as a weapon.

crashbandicoot

Thats not Exactly true . Tuarus makes wonderful revolvers . I will admit their semi autos have been lack luster in the past . But no where near the likes of jenings or lorcin. The best thing to do is visit a few liscensed firearms dealers . Each brand of gun has a different feel to them . Even at that different models have different feel . Due to weight distribution , size of grip. You might even be as lucky as to have a shooting range that will allow you to test fire different makes and models .
The one thing you need to address first is if it comes down to it can you really take the life of another human being . Even if they are doing wrong ? I'm not trying to spark conflict or debate about killing . I'm just saying that Its a scary feeling to have that situation come in to play . To have another person in the sights is not a good feeling . There is nothing "dirty harry" or "rambo" about it . No wise cracks come to mind and honestly you re-adjust your thoughts on life after its all said and done .

scsinet

I love to shoot glocks myself, but I've been looking at the Springfield Armory lately.
They have a model that has a magazine that extends the grip another "notch" (and I think also increases the magazine capacity to 13) so you can have the shorter grip for carry, or the full size grip which is easier to handle, particulary for ladies. I have no idea whether this would be useful to you or not.
I have no idea of SA's quality though.
One thing you can try is a range that rents weapons. We have one in our area where you can rent guns for $5 or so per weapon. You could drop $50 and test drive 10 different weapons you are thinking of, and get a personal feel for how they operate. Of course, plus ammo, and most ranges make you purchase their ammo for their guns, so you may want to settle on a particular caliber (9mm is my favorite for defense), so you can buy one box and use it in all of the weapons you try.

salty blues

Looks like we have quite a few gun nuts on this board. lol
Just a little joke there. Mind, all you crooks. I live in Louisiana. We just swore in our new Republican gubner, Bobby Jindal. We have the "shoot the burglar" law. I own guns and if need be, I will most assuredly exercise that right.
As stated by others, shop around and educate your self about guns and gun safety.

mie

I have a S&W 38 special. Love this thing, you can buy speed loaders for the revolver.

bronco300

thanks all, i'll have to see if the shooting range rents gun to try out, that would be super helpful...do all guns have the possibilities of using "fake" bullets like the shotguns and beanbags and what not? that will still hurt the crook but not having killing capabilities?
I think if they were trying to actually break into the bedroom to get us i'd not be hestitant to shoot....I don't think I could venture downstairs and start shooting, but if they push their luck the can kiss their jewels goodbye
as for the dog its pretty much out of the question...leia hates anything thats bigger than a cat really....may be exaggerating some but i dont think she'd go for it...maybe if i told her its a gun or dog,lol.

bronco300

oh and no kids, there will be a couple years down the rroad but right now just us and the kitty....i assume i'll be having a safe to put the gun in and maybe a trigger lock....might take longer, but only way i think i'd use it if i hear someone trying to get in the bedroom...and we keep that locked at night...suppose if i was home and downstairs and someone came in itd take longer, but to keep it safe out of some peoples hands...i dont know
do revolvers have a safety?

reefraff

thanks all, i'll have to see if the shooting range rents gun to try out, that would be super helpful...do all guns have the possibilities of using "fake" bullets like the shotguns and beanbags and what not? that will still hurt the crook but not having killing capabilities?
I think if they were trying to actually break into the bedroom to get us i'd not be hestitant to shoot....I don't think I could venture downstairs and start shooting, but if they push their luck the can kiss their jewels goodbye
as for the dog its pretty much out of the question...leia hates anything thats bigger than a cat really....may be exaggerating some but i dont think she'd go for it...maybe if i told her its a gun or dog,lol.
Those safety slugs are LEATHAL. They are only intended to frag if they hit something so a stray shot through a wall or ricochet wont hit a bystander.

acrylics

Not really, there are a few things you can use such as a .22 cal cartridge that doesn't use powder, just the primer to shoot the bullet, Calibri makes these. Not really lethal unless you hit "just right" but stings badly. You'd need a .22 revolver though as there isn't enough energy to cycle a semi-auto. If you wanted to go less than lethal, there are some nice pellet guns out there and paintball guns would probably be good as well. They hurt, leave bad bruises, and a full auto painball gun would be very effective :) These would also help put your fiance's mind at ease as they are not firearms and not intended to kill.

dlauber

Mount this bad boy on the end of your bed and mow down intruders by the dozen

Ok but on a serious note, I dont know too much about pistols, but heres my 2cents.
If your fiance is skinny or fragile I would avoid the 12 gauge shotgun, most of them are pretty heavy and have a decent kickback. She could possibly break her shoulder if she doesnt shoot it properly, which could be the case if she was in a panic because someone was breaking in.
And I would take a gun handling class, Because if something happens where you do have to shoot someone, to show that you have had proper handling training would make it less likely youd suffer in court. Im not sure if thats true or not, but to me it just seems like it would be.
If you live in VA I beleive the rule is for intruders, shoot inside to kill, shoot outside to decapacity, and if you kill him outside throw him through window inside

crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by dangalla
this is what i use, and reccomend for home protection. bushmaster ar-15

A good choice for when the feds break and enter your home . Good for pin point take downs .

crashbandicoot

Now if you want to stop intruders before they enter your home or even come on your block . Nothing beats the m40a1

Or if you want to take them out before they leave their neighborhood you can go for the chey tec model 300 in .408. Made popular by the movie shooter . Good for kill shots at 2 1/2 miles.

prk543

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
Now if you want to stop intruders before they enter your home or even come on your block . Nothing beats the m40a1

Or if you want to take them out before they leave their neighborhood you can go for the chey tec model 300 in .408. Made popular by the movie shooter . Good for kill shots at 2 1/2 miles.

I Think that one on the bottom might be a bit of over kill.... unless you have guys bunched up coming through your door....
I would recommend in addition to the great suggestions you have gotten so far, something that is easy to maintain. Some hand guns can be complicated to breakdown and maintain. It might be worth while talking to people in the gun shop about this, especially since this is your first firearm.