Hardy long lived anenamoes??

T

thomas712

Originally posted by tangsfornuttin
All in good fun... I hope you don't get all upset.....

You are aware of the thin line you walk right?

broncofish

I've been looking around their website, and doing searches on the net, I can't find it, I've heard somebody I respect very much mention the 200 yrold anemone before...but have not seen it.

sammystingray

I have heard of a university "supposedly" having one for 200 years, but it wasn't Oxford, and I believe it was just heresay. I think the story went that a janitor neglected to maintain the tank over a long weekend, and killed the 200 year old anemone......story? true? false? I don't know, but the stories been around awhile. I don't know if this is what Bang Guy is talking about or not, but it's the one I've heard....99% sure the "story" I heard wasn't Oxford though.

broncofish

Ok here is another little quote from Dr. Fautin(Go Jayhawks) from here book on anemones, she places the first captive ones at 1881, far less than 200 years.
Anemonefishes and their invertebrate hosts have delighted the western world since 1881 when the first captive specimens were kept in a tub of seawater. However, it was not until the mid-20th century that the intimate relationship of these tropical animals began to be known worldwide. With the advent of SCUBA diving and the establishment of commercial air routes to equatorial destinations in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, pristine coral reefs became accessible to an increasing audience. Skin-diving tourists, sport divers, naturalists, and marine scientists have all helped contributed to underwater discoveries, among them the fascinating natural history of anemonefishes. Virtually all large public aquaria have at least one anemonefish display, and these animals have been at or near the top in aquarium fish sales for the past three decades, attesting to their tremendous popularity.
Daphne G. Fautin
Gerald R. Allen

sammystingray

BTW they do have a way they can date them....I just don't remember....something to do with the outermost and inner most parts, and comparing the two.....amino acids are somewhere in there, and of course carbon dating is used on corals all the time. I don't know how it all works, but I read awhile ago about how the age them....it was basically more about zooanthids, but it does apply, and anemones were mentioned. Of course they live forever if healthy....so do starfish that can regenerate.....they don't age, nothing that regenerates does......the cells age and die, but they are replaced. Must be nice. The reefs haven't been around forever of course, and the next iceage will take care of most, but then comes more new reefs after the next ice age..

j-cal

I'm am by NO STRETCH an expert. That being said, I've done reletively well with an LTA since january.....I feed it once a weekand it still has good color, good reaction and is stationary for the past 4 months. True percs aren't listed as preferring them, but mine took to it in about a week. They are just babies, so they dont take care of it very well :( I hope i continue this good luck !

E

elan

i started doing some research, and found the following.......
....More seriously, there is circumstantial evidence that a British sea-anemone population has been unchanged for more than 200 years and possibly has the same individuals in (me, unpublished); and I think it was T A Stephenson (1928, 1935) who cited George Johnston (1847) as having kept some Actinia for most of his life and passed the cultures to someone else who kept them for a further few decades. Someone else left a culture of Actinia in a
tank that received no attention while he went to do service in WW2, and they still survived in hypersaline conditions in the tank - don't know the reference. I think in Prosser & Brown a culture of Hydra is mentioned that was kept for many years at gradually raised temperatures but which died when someone unplugged the heater one evening. No doubt others, and surely
the 'coral' groups beat the lot.
Dr Paul Cornelius
Department of Zoology
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
London SW7 5BD
NEW TELEPHONE NUMBERS [From July 1999]
Tel. [44] (0)20 7942 5717; fax 7942 5433
Museum Home Page:< http://www.nhm.ac.uk

E

elan

in another article, i found something else that is interesting... very few organisms show signs of ageing.. except for, human, and the animal they chose to protect (cats, dogs, etc)
in most cases, animals die due to starvation, predation, infectious disease, or a harsh environment (e.g., cold) long before they begin to show signs of aging.
And even for humans, aging has only become common in recent decades. In 1900, a newborn child in the U.S. could look forward to an average life expectancy of only 49 years. Infectious diseases were the major causes of death, killing most people before they reached an age when aging set in.
Aging in Invertebrates
Invertebrate animals have provided some important clues about the aging process.
Colonial invertebrates like sponges and corals don't show signs of aging. Even individual cnidarians, like the sea anemone that lived for 78 years, show little or no sign of aging. In all these cases, this is probably because there is constant replacement of old cells by new ones as the years go by.
Lobsters also can live to a very old age with no obvious sign of a decline in fecundity or any other physiological process. But lobsters never stop growing, so once again it may be the continuous formation of new cells that keeps the animal going.
In culture vessels, Drosophila does have a limited life span and shows signs of aging before it dies. Two factors have been found to influence the aging process and thus life span:
Caloric restriction, that is, a semi-starvation diet.
And most interesting.......
In fact, restricting food intake has been shown to increase life span (and slow aging) in all animals - including mammals - that have been tested.
(anyone know of a 200 year old anorexic person??):rolleyes:
all this was taken without permission:eek: from
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...s/A/Aging.html
Very interesting topic!!

hunterdaddy

Originally posted by sammystingray
BTW of course carbon dating is used on corals all the time. ..

Carbon dating is flawed and not too terribly accurate

E

elan

its accurate enough for the purposes of the tests...
whether it is 200 years, or 180 years doesnt really matter... they live several hundred years or more...... and this is due to their ability to regenerate..... which i find very interesting.. anything that can regenerate itself usually does not show signs of aging... which means they will live forever unless someting happens to them... like being put into a fishtank.

E

elan

i guess from what i am reading.. nobody knows exactly... but, its one helluva long time...

hunterdaddy

Originally posted by elan
its accurate enough for the purposes of the tests...

I don't remember if it was discovery or an article I read but it showed how they carbon dated something (I beleive it was a mussel shell but I could be wong) that they knew the age of. Thje test results said it was about 10,000 years older than it could possibly have been. The good thing about science is you only have to prove something dosen't work once, even if it works 1000 times if it dosen't work once your test is invalid. And in this case if this test was that flawed how can they accuratley date anything they don't know the actual age of? Answer is........ they can't.
I will work on finding some articles to back this statment up. I will post them ASAP.

shep

I cant say years to be exact but a friend of mine was doing some research on carpet and ritteri anemones. I am wanting to say they lived a hundred or so years in the ocean. They only have about 2 yr life span in captivity. From what we found it was mostly due to owner problems and not being able to supply nedded life support for them. The ritteri was more indepth than the carpet. He gets to around 8 ft in diameter in his natural inviorment. He normally grows about 6-8 inches a year. Who knows what that would snack on...I am pretty sure brine will not cover it. One must consider that we will never reproduce the ocean in our tiny tanks. I am sure that we are missing something due to they only grow about 1-3 inches a year in a tank. Alot of the problem could be the middle man. Most fish stores grab and sale, who knows what the little guys went through.
To say I can keep the two that I have alive long...I doubt it. However they where taken from a tank in which they had no life expectancy for them. They are provided a better captive home now. Did I truly want them, NO.

broncofish

Originally posted by shep
The ritteri was more indepth than the carpet. He gets to around 8 ft in diameter in his natural inviorment. He normally grows about 6-8 inches a year.

I've heard of 8 ft colonies of Ritteri anemonies, but the largest individuals I've heard of were 4ft, and the biggest one that I actually seen was about 3 maybe 4 ft in a Scuba Magazine, unless maybe it was one from Kenya I've yet to see pictures of those in the wild.

shep

I am unsure of where the "big guy" was at but the picture showed the dude between two of them that had been watched for a while and had split. If he still has it I will post it and the artical. I think it may have been National Geographic stuff.