HELP quickly please - BABIES!

sueandherzoo

We made it to the 5-day mark - they are alive and seemingly well!!! They are still in the breeder box hanging in the adult tank - I will check the water parameters and temperature in their 10 gallon nursery and see if it's ready for them, but I'm really starting to wonder if I should just keep them where they are for a while.
I may have even solved the feeding problem. I just came home for lunch and put a plastic grocery bag around the breeding box and then dropped in some food. They are surrounded in edible things that can't float away until I remove the bag and hopefully when I do remove it I can get the debris out with the bag instead of spilling it into the tank. But even if it does spill, there's plenty of stuff in the main tank that can eat it and/or break it down.
What do you think?????

meowzer

Whatever works....LOL If it was me they would probably be dead...you should be proud....I'm praying for you and your babies....

nwdyr

I agree , if they are doing ok in that tank leave them in there
The bag thing scares me. I am always worried about putting foriegn objects in my tank, but thats me. You are doing GREAT so far so what ever you do...DONT listen to me
Good luck

sueandherzoo

Thanks for the pats on the back and the encouragement. (and the prayers!)
I did hesitate for a second before placing the bag in there but I risked it knowing that the only thing I had just brought home from it recently was a few items that were all well packaged. If they are going to stay in there a while and if I continue to use the bag trick I may go find some LARGE disposable bags at the store that will be clean and I can toss after each use.
This hobby is making me crazier by the day - right now I'm trying to rig up another BBS hatchery and am having difficulties. God only knows what type of compromise or modification I will make to fix that!

sueandherzoo

Wow - I see one inhabitant of the adult horse tank that doesn't seem to mind the new occupants: the gorgonian apparently LOVES having baby seahorse leftovers floating around in the tank!

dingus890

The gorg is probably eating the babies...ewww.
So glad they are doing well!

The bag thing scares me as it can trap the ammonia from the food and block flow which could also cut off oxygen.If you do use the bag,only use it for short periods.
Your doing GREAT Sue!

sueandherzoo

Day 6 - still hanging in there. (shakes head with amazement).
Yes, the bag thing is only for 30 minutes tops. I put the bag around the breeder trap, drop in food for the babies, and 30 minutes later remove the bag. I'm able to keep some of the debris in the bag and dispose of it but some, of course, spills into the big tank. I think THAT is what the gorgonian is so happy about. :)
Sue

spanko

Just started at the top of this thread and read down. What a wonderful way you have with your telling of the story. Each post you made makes my heart beat a little faster in anticipation. I absolutely love that you have been able to keep them alive this long.
Good luck with this batch.

sueandherzoo

Thanks, Henry. It's so nice to have you along for the ride.

I often fear that I ramble too much in my posts but I get myself so excited that I can't seem to stop. Funny - in person, I am NOT a talker. I am very quiet and do much better with the written word than verbal. Glad you're enjoying it and hope I can keep the saga going for a while.
Sue

maryg

Sue,
This is truly amazing. I remember when we both just started this saltwater adventure. Look what you have done! You have accomplished so much. Great job!
I just love learning new stuff everyday.

proudarmywife

Ok I am new at this so new I don't have my tank yet hehe... But I was thinking if you could find a 1 1/2 or 2 inch plastic tray/lid that you could use to place in the bottom of the nusery it might be tall enough to keep food in and be safer? also give them more time to eat. If the stuff gets left in there you could either syphen it out or... you could make a fanning motion to lry it fall through to the rest of the tank to be ate or filtered. Ok rember I said I was new but it sounded pretty good
thanks
Michelle
PS Im so jealious I wanted Sh sooo bad!!

sueandherzoo

Day 8 and even though the number of survivors keeps dwindling there are 7 that are hanging in there. It might just be my imagination but it seemed like they were doing so much better when they were in the 10 gallon tank rather than the breeding net, but then again I was having a horrible time keeping the ammonia down so it's probably better for their health to stay where they are. I'll check the water in the 10 shortly to see if I can put them back in again - maybe I've got enough good bacteria going to keep things under control.
Originally Posted by MaryG
http:///forum/post/2916980
Sue,
This is truly amazing. I remember when we both just started this saltwater adventure. Look what you have done! You have accomplished so much. Great job!
I just love learning new stuff everyday.

Hi there fellow reefer. Everytime I see your name in a thread I remember that we started just about the same time. And we both jumped in with both feet, hard and FAST!

Originally Posted by ProudArmyWife

http:///forum/post/2917291
Ok I am new at this so new I don't have my tank yet hehe... But I was thinking if you could find a 1 1/2 or 2 inch plastic tray/lid that you could use to place in the bottom of the nusery it might be tall enough to keep food in and be safer? also give them more time to eat. If the stuff gets left in there you could either syphen it out or... you could make a fanning motion to lry it fall through to the rest of the tank to be ate or filtered. Ok rember I said I was new but it sounded pretty good
thanks
Michelle
PS Im so jealious I wanted Sh sooo bad!!
Actually, "Newbie", that's a great idea and I had done something similar the other day. I took a plastic lid off one of those margarine containers and put it in the bottom so at least things weren't falling through there. It kept the food in long enough for them to get some and then it's easy for me to dump the sediment off of that. With that kind of thinking already, you're a natural for this challenging hobby!

proudarmywife

"Actually, "Newbie", that's a great idea and I had done something similar the other day. I took a plastic lid off one of those margarine containers and put it in the bottom so at least things weren't falling through there. It kept the food in long enough for them to get some and then it's easy for me to dump the sediment off of that. With that kind of thinking already, you're a natural for this challenging hobby! "
I hope I am so excited! Thanks for the thanks

crypt keeper

this was a great read. kept me on the edge of my seat. i didnt want to scroll ahead. Congrats on keepin them alive so far!

sueandherzoo

Thanks. I guess you can relate to how I feel whenever I come into the room and "peek" in their tank - so afraid of what I might see even though I keep preparing myself for the worst.
There's actually 11 - now that I have taken each one out of the breeding net and back into the 10 gallon nursery I got a good count. I can't say they all look robust and healthy, but as long as there is a fin moving, I ain't quitting!
Sue

reefnutpa

You're doing a great job. The first week is one of the biggest hurdles. The weakest ones and those not eating enough/properly will die off the first week. As hard as it is to do - it is best not to try to save them all but to concentrate all your time/energy on those that are eating well and seem the strongest.
At this point, just make sure water parameters remain o.k. and they are being fed plenty of newly hatched bbs.
Congrats again! Great job!
Tom

sueandherzoo

Thanks Tom - been waiting anxiously for you to pop back in on this thread :)
I'm pretty bummed tonight because there's only maybe 4 that look like they might hang in there but I have to remember it was not only my first batch but also an unexpected one. I was by no means prepared (equipment wise or knowledge wise) but I learned a lot these past 8 days so that in itself was invaluable. These little guys have been through so much with me that I have to think they're not as frail as we think. I have moved these guys and disrupted them and changed their water parameters and foods so many times I can't believe any of them made it this far.
Thanks for the support - I'll be needing lots more of your help next time around. Actually I have a question for you right now: what should I do with the 10 gallon tank to get it fit to handle ammonia? Normally we'd use live rock but don't do that in fry tanks so I would think just the HOB and the sponge filter, but this morning I checked the parameters and STILL had ammonia, and there was nothing in the tank except one small piece of live rock! Where is good bacteria supposed to grow if I'm always changing the filter pads and rinsing out the sponge filter?
Sue

reefnutpa

In a normal situation, the sponge filter would have already been colonized with bacteria to keep the ammonia in check. Since this was an unexpected batch, which happens more often than you think, you have to improvise a bit.
At this point, start using Amquel+ to lock up the ammonia so it's not deadly. Continue siphoning the bottom of the fry tank to remove debris. I personally do not rinse the sponge filters more than once or twice a month - and when I do it's to squeeze them a few times in used tank water to free them of debris. Never clean them under the tap, or clean them TOO vigorously or you'll knock back the bacteria too much. I do try to siphon big pieces of debris, poop, etc off the sponge filters while I'm siphoning the bottom of the tank. But that's not always successful.
If you've already used an ammonia blocker such as Amquel, Ammo-Lock, etc it could be the ammonia reading you are getting is a "false positive" as they often times do that to test kits.
I use the Seachem Ammonia Alerts on my fry/juvie tanks. If the ammonia continues to test high and the fry are scratching, it may be best to do a huge water change. I have already done 100% water changes on the fry tank when they appeared to be acting "not normal", were scratching or just seemed lethargic. Sometimes the weakest ones did not handle the change well, but I lost very few the times I did 100% changes.
You will find you will go through gallons and gallons and gallons of water while attempting to raise fry. I probably remove a gallon of water each time I siphon the fry tank, which I do two to three times a day. Meaning, in a 10 gal tank they are getting upwards of a 30% water change per day. I do the same on the juvie tank. Between the fry/juvie tanks, bbs hatchers, unexpected water changes or additional siphoning I easily go through 40-50 gallons of water a week. I keep two 50 gal Rubbermaid Brute trashcans filled at all times. One has RO/DI water in it for freshwater top-offs and the other has the mixed saltwater at 1.021. I've learned to always be prepared and have water on hand for the unexpected.
Your biggest challenge for the next brood of fry... and yes, you will indeed have more fry
.... is to get a few sponge filters cycling NOW. Even if you don't need them for a month or two, imagine the bacteria that could be colonizing them during the next 8 weeks! I'm sure there are threads on how to cycle sponge filters on this website, and if not I know the one dedicated seahorse site
has quite a few. The biggest things to keep in mind for rearing fry are water quality, frequent feedings of bbs or enriched bbs, immaculately clean fry tanks.
As far as having 4 that look the strongest - that is a GOOD thing. Remember in the wild, it's something like 1 in 1,000 that survive to adulthood. And trust me, I think I've gone through 1,000+ fry until I've gotten to this point where I'm having some success.
This post is already too long and rambling, so I won't discuss my failures. Just know with each brood of fry it DOES get easier. As you gain experience and use what you've learned, it DOES get easier. Still frustrating at times, but a bit easier.
Tom