Here I go!

earlybird

Aahhh bubbles. Makes sense. I'll get my hands in there and try flipping my powerheads and magdrive to release the bubbles. I put a small fan blowing over my sump. Temp is holding bet 80.0-80.9.
I do have the madgrive choked back a little and my head loss is about 3 feet. When I was testing with fresh water it held at 80 for 3 days and the heater never kicked on. Only thing added was the super skimmer 65 which I did not test with fresh water.

earlybird

It is and I'm happy. No signs of anything else yet. My ammonia test is terrible I think. It's reading 0.1-0.2. I'm testing 3 times a day right now but tomorrow probably 2x. Temp is down to 79.7 with the fan blowing across the sump. I think I'll leave it.

earlybird

I have a white sac like thing on one of my rocks. Looks like a moth nest that we used to get on our trees when we lived in Virginia. It is kind of transparent and about the size of a half dollar. I'll post pictures later but does it sound like coraline die off?

renogaw

i've got some red, orange, and yellow ones, and had some white ones but i think they were dead versions of the red, orang, and yellow ones since they arent there anymore. That's actually a good sign though, maybe some spores are still on your rock :) it took a while for my sponges to grow in.

reefkprz

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts there are plenty of viable sponge gemmules on that rock. they can survive horrible conditions. (not all sponges create gemmules) but the ones that do can live through almost anything.

earlybird

I measured my alk and ca for the first time and hope I did it right both are high. I had to add 4 more drops on the cacium test than it could hold.
Alk 11.2 dKH
Ca 520 ppm

reefkprz

yes thats a sponge. I couldnt tell you the exact species but its a sponge. Looks like siliceous based not calcerous. good little filter there, they can filter 5x their body weight in an hour (give or take, of course they weigh almost nothing so its not a massive amount)

earlybird

Cool thanks guys. I keep looking and looking and looking hoping to see any other hitch hikers but no signs as of yet.

earlybird

Tested my water this morning. Seems odd to me that my QT has more ammonia and nitrites.
QT

Temp- 79.4
SG- 1.026
Amm- 0.1
pH- 8.2
NO2- 10
DT

Temp- 80.1
SG- 1.025
Amm- 0.15
pH- 8.2
NO2- 1

earlybird

Originally Posted by renogaw
smaller water volume probably. less live rock, less of a filtration system. no sand.
Makes sense. I didn't expect to see nitrites so soon but then again I wasn't sure.