Hey all you lighting experts!

wattsupdoc

Well alot of metals rust,
aluminum I believe they call that oxidation. Maybe the same term for other metals. Im not sure but it seems like it would. Of course it would take alot of time for the aluminum to corrode to where it cant be used any more or is a problem. Any ferrous metal (containing iron) that is in a marine envirnment should have a good coat of paint on it to protect it. I believe that they make cruise ships etc. out of iron. Paint with no scratches or scuffs. JMO.

ob-ron

Ok I have read all. And what I need to know is what will work on my 120g. (4x24x24).
Everybody keeps saying more than 24in deep or less than 24in deep. But what about 24in deep? Does T5 or vho or cp wrok at 24in? Or is mh the only one? T5 bulbs at 54 watts will give me only 3.6 watts per gal. mh and T5 or mh and pc will give me more watts and more heat. I want to keep soft corals so I don't need mh, But that<> 24in thing keep coming up.
I guess what I'm asking is what works well for soft corals in a 24in tank? Thanks

zman1

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Well alot of metals rust,
aluminum I believe they call that oxidation. Maybe the same term for other metals. Im not sure but it seems like it would. Of course it would take alot of time for the aluminum to corrode to where it cant be used any more or is a problem. Any ferrous metal (containing iron) that is in a marine envirnment should have a good coat of paint on it to protect it. I believe that they make cruise ships etc. out of iron. Paint with no scratches or scuffs. JMO.
I would have to bet they are made out of steel (ships Cruise/Battle) - The iron and coal process. I was just thinking that a commercial lighting reflector wouldn't have the quality of coating rated for a salt environment due to cost and based on the manufactures expectation of environmental characteristics. Again we are not ship building here just lighting....

wattsupdoc

Steel is a ferrous metal. And subject.To corrosion. Just posted that as an example of metal which is submergered in salt. These are made for indoor and outdoor invironments. They sell the same ones I believe in Arizona or Miami. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but even stainless steel rusts.