Home made fish food.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Why would I buy someone else's food, that includes ingredients I wouldn't feed my fish, with no ingredients I can't put in my own mix, for far more money then I pay to make my own?

Amen.I think Rods food is intended to feed the whole reef community; one size fits all, half the stuff in his food would be too small for most of my fish. I prefer to select what ingredients I feed to different groups in FOWLR tanks as well.I use a similar recipe (?) as 1journeynan, just posted it here; https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/288122/making-food#post_2298588

coral keeper

I made some fish food today thats got sea weed, shrimp, salmon, and fresh garlic. Made 4 oz of it and gave some to the fish and they LOVE it!!!
Here are some pics of the fish food.

sweetfish

Was searching for homemade food and came across this great thread. I am going to the store today to purchase items for my own babies. What I would like to know is there are many options in regards to the meaty ingredients such as clams, squid, scallps, shrimp, etc. that you can add. Since there are alot of these meaty ingredients, how many do you add for your batches? My thoughts are this...I would make a couple of different batches using 3-4 of the meaty ingredients along with the nori, garlic, ect. I will be certain that one batch is special to the needs of my corals.
Please let me know how many meaty ingredients you use and if my idea of what I want to do is a good one.
Thank in advance.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by mie
I heard oily foods like salmon were a no no
You can add salmon but not a lot. You need to put a very very very tiny bit of salmon.

mudplayerx

I know this may be evident from the start for most people, but the first time I made fish food it wasn't for me:
If you add water to your homemade fish food, make sure you use tank water. If you use freshwater the food will float.

coral keeper

What parts of the mussels do you cut out and throw away in the garbage? Or can you just put everything in except the shell of course.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
What parts of the mussels do you cut out and throw away in the garbage? Or can you just put everything in except the shell of course.
Bump.

coral keeper

reef diver

Well, heres my new recipe. I use:
Shrimp
Ahi Tuna (Just a small slice or 2)
A few flakes of formula one and two
1/4 filet of Fresh Caught Rocky Mountain trout OR Salmon.
I then blend it all to a consistency which provides some pureed food, and some small solid chunks. Then I take a piece of egg crate with a piece of acrylic glued underneath, mash the food into the square blocks, then I bag it, and lay it flat in the freezer
I like the eggcrate because it provides a good measure of how much food im using. Also I do not use nori because I use it in a clip, and otherwise it causes too much buildup of nitrates.
And finally I use the trout because it is VERY nutritious, especially caught fresh out of my backyard. It is high in amino acids, as well as protein and Omega Fatty Acids. its also easy and best of all cheap to get.
Also when I feed, I add a bit of garlic, then I partially strain the mix, and I feed the puree, or liquid to my zoos and other corals.

danieljames

I have done a lot of reading on this topic....and am totally in favor of making my own food....think about it....most people's inention is to mimic what is given to fish naturally in the wild....though this is difficult because in reality no matter what size your tank is....your fish are still living in a small glass box..(in comparison to the ocean) I do agree that natural homemade foods would be much more nutricious than flakes or store bought....seems like common sense....
For herbivores...i've found that Nori is the best bet....they sell this stuff at LFS and advertise it as natural ocean seaweed....and sell it for 10 bucks a pack....what they don't tell you is that Nori IS natural seaweed...it's used to make sushi rolls...and costs about $1.99 for a large pack...the only thing you have to watch is that most Nori is slightly roasted....(not that this matters too much) just make sure there are no preservatives or additives....I place wads of Nori all throughout the tank for my yellow tang....(under rocks, in the rock work, on a clip etc.) for him to pick at all day and he LOVES it!
For carnivores or omnivores, I follow suit with everyone else....fresh shrimp, oysters and clams with fresh garlic. I chop all these up in to little pieces, place them into a rubbermade container and refrigerate and/or freeze them. I don't make little frozen blocks, I find that dropping little pieces in a little at a time helps to decrease the mess in the tank. I mix with fresh mixed garlic about 1/2 hour befoe serving.
I also agree that you should stay away from salmon. Too oily.
This is a good thread....I'd love to hear any other recipes...i'm always up for new ideas!

bs21

not sure what everyone else has posted for recipes but I g to the store and get some fresh scallops, clam or two, fresh uncooked shrimp, and some squidd now and then, and sheets of nori. I get home and throw all of that in a bowl with a piece of finely chopped and crushed garlic. Dump that in the food processor so you get some med. to small pieces. Roll that out on some wax paper and put in the freezer. Once frozen cut it up into squares then put it in sandwich bags for storage. just break off aq piece at feeding time.

ledzep fan

Today I made some more homemade food. This time i added alot more. Including:
Broccoli
lettuce
nori
scallops
mussels
shrimp
squid
mysis
They all gobbled it down right away.