How addicted are you?

bkvreef

you're addicted when things start dying for no apparent reason and you keep going (to find a solution) instead of getting mad and asking why I have spent so much money on a @#$% fish.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by grumpygils
I started exactly a year ago. Since then I have had
2 X 10g
1 X20 G
1 X 29G
1 X 44 Pentagon
1 X 92 COrner
1 X 54G COrner
10 sets of lights
5 protein skimmers
dozens of power heads
50-100 peices of coral
30+ fish
100+ trips to the LFs's
Few PICs attached
Just started the corner 54. First PIC is the 92, then 54, then 20
Oops new update just finished cycling my first true nana. I am off the to LFS for 50% off coral sale.

rbrockm1

id rather buy stuff for my tank instead of buying food for myself. if college wasn't important i probably take that money put it towards my tnak

rykna

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=267640
1.) How many times a day to you think about your reef tank?
a.) 0
b.) 2-4
c.) 4-8
d.) 10-20
e.) drawing construcitons plans to eventually turn your house into a
home version of Sea World.
My answer is "e"
2.) Does your reef aquarium cause finacial squabbles between you and your spouse?
a.) my spouse loves my SW tank he/she lets me buy anything anytime
b.) discuss tank expenditures at least 8 times a month
c.) have serious weekly discussions about buying bread or mysis shrimp
d.) have had to use all your home owners insurance to cover water damaged when your largest salt water tank sprung a leak instead of getting a new furnace
e.) spouse threatens to serve up sushi for dinner
My answer is "e"
3.) How much time do you spend chatting on Saltwater Fish Forum?
a.) Check 3 times a month
b.) Check once a week
c.) Check daily
d.) Spend at least 2 hours a day online
e.) Your spouse and children wonder who you are when you get off line
My answer is "e"
4.)How much time do you spend with your tank and it's occupants?
a.) Pay for basic care services and view for relaxation
b.) 1 hour a day spent feeding, maintaining, and viewing
c.) 2-4 hours a day spent feeding, maintaining, viewing, and haved
named your fish.
d.) 2-4 hours a day spent feeding, maintaining,viewing, have named,
and talk to your fish using their names .
e.) Have listed your tank occupants inyour tax refund as co-dependents
My answer is "d"
5.) Do you worry that you may be a reef addict?
a.) Never
b.) very little
c.) some what
d.) maybe
e.) That is the most outrageous thing I have ever hear. How could you possibliy accuse me of such a thing :mad: Your just jealous
I am NOT going to give up my hobby!!!!! Cause that is all it is.
I woun't let you take my babies...eerrrr...fish away from me!!!!!! Just cause you...etc, etc....

My answer is "e"
Results:
mostly "a" not and adict
mostly "b" not and adict
mostly "c" still a just a hobby
mostly "d" might consider therapy
mostly or all "e" You have past the point of no return....You are the ULTIMATE FISH ADICT!!!!! :happyfish
And if anyone asks about my personal answers, I will plead the 5th !

stdreb27

So addicted that I stayed an extra symester at school because I couldn't afford a summer term and a fish tank. (don't tell my girlfriend) she wants to get married. :happyfish

stephish

It started last November with the rescue of 2 urchins which died anyway in a tiny little 2.75 gallon. December brought on the 20 and March the 22 cube. 2 weeks ago I bought a 46 bow that isn't set up yet.
As if that isn't bad enough I have a frag addiction. Yesterday was reef club meeting, that's all i'm saying....

I wish I had gotten into a cheaper hobby. It sucks when your fish die on you... and you can just think about how much money went down the drain with each one that passes.
I'm gonna pay someone someday to help me set up a 180 or 200+ sized reef tank. Anyone think of a fair price to pay per hour?

grubsnaek

mine goes like this.
125 reef with a 55 sump
20L frag tank
20L QT
55 turtle tank
and yeah its like crack

reefforbrains

Here is the biggest thing. I just infected two new friends.
I actually had the talk to them about how in 3 months when they are so over the top addicted -that they cannot let thier wives blame me.
They just laughed..... but when either one of them comes to the house for ANY reason, they sit like children on the floor on hands and knees staring under rocks and looking for little things they have never seen before for 30 minutes and ask a hundred questons.
They didnt even have tanks set up yet but would tell me about NOVA or discovery Channel programs that showed the exact same thing as our living room
Now we went and picked out thier tanks and are going to set up before my surgery so I can help with the crawling around and plumbing part before hand. But they are like Pig to the slaughter.....all smiles and walking into the worste addiction ever. I almost feel guilty for introducing them but I honestly tell told them I had selfish reasons, I needed to train a few friends that could take care of my reef while I am sick or recovering from surgeries. Writing down instructions didnt help with people not in the hobby. If I helped them start tanks then they would have an interest and actually look forward to doing it when needed.
Plan worked well, but now they come like little kids and give puppy dog eyes at the fragsand tank rubble for thier new tanks.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Here is the biggest thing. I just infected two new friends.
I actually had the talk to them about how in 3 months when they are so over the top addicted -that they cannot let thier wives blame me.
They just laughed..... but when either one of them comes to the house for ANY reason, they sit like children on the floor on hands and knees staring under rocks and looking for little things they have never seen before for 30 minutes and ask a hundred questons.
They didnt even have tanks set up yet but would tell me about NOVA or discovery Channel programs that showed the exact same thing as our living room
Now we went and picked out thier tanks and are going to set up before my surgery so I can help with the crawling around and plumbing part before hand. But they are like Pig to the slaughter.....all smiles and walking into the worste addiction ever. I almost feel guilty for introducing them but I honestly tell told them I had selfish reasons, I needed to train a few friends that could take care of my reef while I am sick or recovering from surgeries. Writing down instructions didnt help with people not in the hobby. If I helped them start tanks then they would have an interest and actually look forward to doing it when needed.
Plan worked well, but now they come like little kids and give puppy dog eyes at the fragsand tank rubble for thier new tanks.
Definitly a true addic
^^^^ causing a friend to be additced to bettter serve your own addiction has to be the ultimate sin. I just got my 10 year old son a 10 gallon. Tried to get him to do FW but he wouldn't have it! Spread the disease!