How do you fund your hobby???

glyle41

I ride around in a Dump Truck way too many hours a week at least I am in Central Florida so usually the scenary is nice lol

thangbom

im just a HVAC apprhentice.... get paid my $14 a hr lugging stuff up stairs and under crawspaces... it's not too hard of a job but it do suck sometimes.. when it's hot in the summer in the attic ( it's always over 100 deg) or crawling around in a muddy crawlspace.... but hey.. we all have to work doing something...

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by puffer32
Now i like that idea!
I would like to manage a margarettaville someplace warm, and listen to Buffett music all day long

I'd like to open up a photography studio... An amazing one though... Maybe with a large fish tank, and some fish so that you can dive in, and be photographed underwater with large schools of fish... maybe a large reef too... tangs, firefish... schooling fish! *drools* An underwater photography studio. I'd have normal rooms for normal photography as well... interesting. I think i will..................

socal57che

Originally Posted by jdragunas
I'd like to open up a photography studio... An amazing one though... Maybe with a large fish tank, and some fish so that you can dive in, and be photographed underwater with large schools of fish... maybe a large reef too... tangs, firefish... schooling fish! *drools* An underwater photography studio. I'd have normal rooms for normal photography as well... interesting. I think i will..................
I can't beleive I just read this!!! I just posted on another thread about having a portrait studio for sale!!!!!!!!!!! It's only 10 minutes from Truman lake(dirty and no tropical fish) so maybe you could go "on location" and cover some fishing tournaments or something!!!
ck out the expensive hobbies thread....deja vu...........

tinmanny

In my first year of trade school I told my teacher I wanted his job and now I have it I run the training program for Local #17 RI Sheet Metal Apprenticeship I like to get up and go to work But love My hobbies even more

tinmanny

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom
im just a HVAC apprhentice.... get paid my $14 a hr lugging stuff up stairs and under crawspaces... it's not too hard of a job but it do suck sometimes.. when it's hot in the summer in the attic ( it's always over 100 deg) or crawling around in a muddy crawlspace.... but hey.. we all have to work doing something...

When you are done your apprenticeship what will your pay be then think about it that way

crashedin0

Originally Posted by tinmanny
When you are done your apprenticeship what will your pay be then think about it that way

for real appreticeship can be urber rough how old were you when you started ?
16 started welding 17 kept welding 18 most likly still gonna e welding after that i am gonna look for welding jobs somewhere else

S

sinner's girl

I do nothing! Well, nothing that pays. I babysit 3 days a week, that's extra pocket money. I just graduated in May, and I refuse to take a job any idiot could do, I want to use my degrees.
What would be your dream business, if you had the opportunity to start one........
It's not exatly my dream business, but it should work. "Tullos Technology LLC is a family owned and operated business. All of our designs and software are created in house. This keeps the product production cost to a minimum and allows us to sell a more feature rich system at a lower cost than our competitors.
We use the latest technology to build our designs; all of our automotive controllers use a PIC microcontroller (small computer) running with a clock of 20Mhz (5 MIPS). This allows us to give you full control of the system. We work harder and smarter so your work is optimized." or so the webpage says

Currently, I'm working on a manual for Hacker's EBC and I do whatever is needed to get the business started. Husband is a TA and is working on his phd, in addition to programing and building the boost controllers. I can assemble them, order parts and such, i keep track of billing and recipts.
I'm enjoying because I get to apply what I learned in the classroom to help make us some money.
In addition to TullosTech.com, we have Virtualdesk.net, which isn't doing so well now (do to lack of time), but it paid the bills and bought a lot of extras in the past. I'm doing some work get virtualdesk back up and making us some money. We finaly found an error and fixed it (we were never able to get the error-then someone said they had xp w/sp2, and it seems the problem was with sp2).
Though, I think i'd rather work for someone, I'd like to know what I'm going to make each month. Having your own business is so uncertian, one month great, the next could suck. or could have a few good years, then a sharp and steady decline. Luckly, when virtualdesk started to decline, Sinner came up with TullosTech.

jacksdad

I have two dreams businesses. 1: have my own art studio where I sell my work (with 4 kids I just don't have time to do it anymore!!) and 2: manage my son's football career! He is only 2 so I will have to wait a while for that one. :joy: I haven't pushed any of my kids into a particular sport, but my youngest IS playing football. :cheer: He is going be a brute! He is 3' tall and 50 lbs and he won't be 3 until Feb.
Bob

hedonic

Originally Posted by FISHY7
Senior credit anaylst for a midsized co.
pay is decent but get bored often.....
Hey I have an idea. Lets start a business, since there are so many people out there with good ideas....
What would be your dream business, if you had the opportunity to start one........
Mine would be to own a little bar in the bahamas and meet tons of people just having fun on vacaton!!!!!! how many poeple are in a bad mood on vacation?

I like that idea, although I would add a microbrewery, music venue, record label, coral propagation unit, and animal sanctuary.

aquapro_1

My daughter has your son beat! she turned 3 last Sat. But in May, her docs visit she was weighing in at 52#'s and was 42 tall. We went to Disneyworld at the end of Sept and she was able to ride all rides, not that she was interested...But she is 45', now and was not yet 3 yrs...I maintained her wieght & she is shoot up like a weed. Her sister is now 11yr and 84#'s and 5'2.

oceana

i am the manager for the nations largets paramedical company. good job pays well and i like it. i would not call it fun however. i also sell coral on the big e to help pay for this hobby

tinmanny

Originally Posted by crashedin0
for real apprenticeship can be urber rough how old were you when you started ?
16 started welding 17 kept welding 18 most likely still gonna e welding after that i am gonna look for welding jobs somewhere else
I was 18 when I started in the union, was 16 also when I began working in the trade. Worked at General Dynamics for a lot of years in the sheet metal shop and moved to automation for same that was an adventure. But Teaching and coordinator has always been my goal. Keep up with the trade and you will become one of the best. Good welders are hard to find wire burners is all that is around. If you like it don't quit

crashedin0

Originally Posted by tinmanny
I was 18 when I started in the union, was 16 also when I began working in the trade. Worked at General Dynamics for a lot of years in the sheet metal shop and moved to automation for same that was an adventure. But Teaching and coordinator has always been my goal. Keep up with the trade and you will become one of the best. Good welders are hard to find wire burners is all that is around. If you like it don't quit

i am posative i like it
i got my first major burn today cant type with my left hand
HA HA HA HA but i am still willing to do it
its lik a car once you crash going fast the fear of it leaves so you dont mind going fast
first burn now not scared of burns thus getting better

laust

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I smuggle mexicans across the border. Not only do they fund my hobby, one has agreed to take my online college spanish class for me LOL
yes... i've hired some of them to clean my cars. had to let 2 go last week for fake social security cards.
i write damage estimates for two large car rental companies in dallas. they dont pay me what i'm worth but they let me have a 30 gal in my office.
i send the damaged cars to the shop, chop em up, sell the parts, and viola!... tank cash..

hybridfish

Electronics engineering tech at an oceanagraphic lab. I got into this hobby to see more live fishys :happyfish since most sea creatures I get to see are mechanical, microscopic, or dead...

I am a medical student at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. This makes my net income approximately (-$38,500) ignoring compound interest on previous school loans. Unfortunately I cannot afford a tank at this time and must fulfill my addiction by looking at hundreds of pictures online; daily if possible. Hopefully someday I will have the cashflow to have a decent tank once again.
:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

crashedin0

wow today i got a raise kinda
i will get paid buy the piece welding
50 bucks a floor it take about 1 1/2 to do one and it at my own pace

letsfly75

I haven't actually purchased my first marine tank yet. I have three freshwater tanks at the moment. I'm waiting until I put in my new floor before buying a 240. I'm an airline pilot so I will have to set up tank that can be left for a few days without too much attention. If there are any other pilots out there PM me. I love to hear from fellow aviators.