How would you handle it?

trainfever

I didnt call there screaming. I called to see if they, the parents knew their dog had bitten my daughter. He said that he knew and that he didnt think it was a big deal and wanted to know what I wanted him to do. If it were my dog who had bitten another child, I would not have taken the word of my 11 year old daughter. I would have been on the phone or to the house myself to make sure the child was OK.
I have edited this post to add the picture. I never said or implied that the bite was life threatening although I hate to think what could have happened. Anyway, you cant tell from the pic but the bite is about 2- 2 1/2" wide and is fainly yellow and purple around it. The fact is that the dog did bite my daughter and broke the skin and my neighbor was irresponsible about it.

veni vidi vici

I now take back my previous statement about poisoning the dog in question.SHOOT THE S.O.B that way it wont suffer. But im still for giving the neighbor two busted lips.

spanko

Originally Posted by trainfever
http:///forum/post/2550301
I would have been on the phone or to the house myself to make sure the child was OK.
Some people are kind caring and compassionate, some people are neighbors. See post #74...............

crashbandicoot

So basicaly after we cut through it all you real complaint is that the neighbor didnt call you to appolagize ?
It just doesn't seam like you like them, their kid or their style . So my suggestion is to just try to stear your daughter away from this friend . Believe me if they are as bad as you say then this dog bite seams like nothing compared to the drama that could be seen down the road when these girls are in their teens . drugs ,alchol ,teen pregnancy, crime . It really is your choice who your kids interact with . She might be mad now and she might not ever think to thank you but if you stear her away from dangerous situations and dangerous people then thats all you really need .

m0nk

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
http:///forum/post/2550326
So basicaly after we cut through it all you real complaint is that the neighbor didnt call you to appolagize ?
It just doesn't seam like you like them, their kid or their style . So my suggestion is to just try to stear your daughter away from this friend . Believe me if they are as bad as you say then this dog bite seams like nothing compared to the drama that could be seen down the road when these girls are in their teens . drugs ,alchol ,teen pregnancy, crime . It really is your choice who your kids interact with . She might be mad now and she might not ever think to thank you but if you stear her away from dangerous situations and dangerous people then thats all you really need .

Problem with this logic is that kids seem to gravitate towards people you (as the parent) try to keep them away from.

tj51

http:///forum/post/2550258
Here is the deal . Say I am in the dog owners position and it "bites" the little girl but its just a little scratch . This guy calls up screaming and acting a fool I say ok will what is it exactly you want ? does that mean I am non chelant or just not willing to scream and yell ?
Now say same situation . I am the dog owner and my dog has just Bite this little girl and blood is all over the place . He calls and is scream his head off . I say well what do you want me to do ? That is being nonchlant about it .
He asked if he was over reacting ? Honestly in my opinion any time you have to resort to cursing than your over reacting and you need to calm down and remember to be an adult . Any time you feel the need to raise your voice your over reacting .
Now should he beg for an appolage ? NO . The owner should have called and made an atempt . But two wrongs don't make a right .

I lost my reply......Crash, again, it's only for the victim and the family to decide how severe the bite is. The dog owner is liable, obviously he's going to downplay the bite. The severity of the bite only comes into play when discussing damages. The dog bit the girl, period; there was negligence. Train is not asking for damages so even if a small bite, the dog bit the girl. No almost, or just a little, etc.
I see you are wearing a runner's bib....what distance do you run?

crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by tj51
http:///forum/post/2550345
I lost my reply......Crash, again, it's only for the victim and the family to decide how severe the bite is. The dog owner is liable, obviously he's going to downplay the bite. The severity of the bite only comes into play when discussing damages. The dog bit the girl, period; there was negligence. Train is not asking for damages so even if a small bite, the dog bit the girl. No almost, or just a little, etc.
I see you are wearing a runner's bib....what distance do you run?
I don't run thats johnny knoxville in the ringer . A show about a feela that is normal but enters the special olympics as to win and make money off the gambeling on the events . He actually gets a concience half way thru falls in love with the girl and eventually wins her heart even though he lied to her about being mentaly challanged .
It basicaly because I argue with people online and a friend thinks that makes me "special" hence going for gold and winning the special olympics of online arguments.

crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2550313
I now take back my previous statement about poisoning the dog in question.SHOOT THE S.O.B that way it wont suffer. But im still for giving the neighbor two busted lips.

Boy I hope your neighbor doesn't have the same mentality as you .
But then again the SPYvs SPY mad magazine style antics that could insue would be funny to watch .

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2550390
Boy I hope your neighbor doesn't have the same mentality as you .
But then again the SPYvs SPY mad magazine style antics that could insue would be funny to watch .

He dosent have a dog ,so i think hes safe,as long as he dosent cross the barbed wire.

al mc

Originally Posted by trainfever
http:///forum/post/2550301
I didnt call there screaming. I called to see if they, the parents knew their dog had bitten my daughter. He said that he knew and that he didnt think it was a big deal and wanted to know what I wanted him to do. If it were my dog who had bitten another child, I would not have taken the word of my 11 year old daughter. I would have been on the phone or to the house myself to make sure the child was OK.
I have edited this post to add the picture. I never said or implied that the bite was life threatening although I hate to think what could have happened. Anyway, you cant tell from the pic but the bite is about 2- 2 1/2" wide and is fainly yellow and purple around it. The fact is that the dog did bite my daughter and broke the skin and my neighbor was irresponsible about it.
So Train...What have you decided to do? Have you called the neighbor again or called Philly Animal Control? Taken your daughter to a Doc? Checked on the dog's Rabies immunizations? Al

nyyankeees

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2550148
Personally I fear Dobermans much more because I personally know a few people who have had a good natured Dobi turn mean as it got older and have heard stories of others with the same experience.
C'mon now does she look scary?

sepulatian

I am not afraid of dogs by any means. I used to deliver groceries. I have come across several breeds such as dobies and rotties that have made me pause for a second before going into the house as the person is saying, "come on in". Pits are the one breed that I do not trust. I have seen some very nice and sweet pits. They are like triggerfish. They can be great for a long time and then snap. It is their breed, just as it is with triggers. Train, the way that I see this is that your daughter wants to be friends with this little girl. That is fine. Have her come to your house. You were wary of this dog before this happened. I am not blaming you for the bite, but you really would have been better off not allowing your girl to go there. What is done is done. Get this documented, but your neighbor is still your neighbor. Bad blood between neighbors never ends well. Keep your daughter at your house and invite their daughter over so that she can still have her friend.

guille

To me I could care less what the breed, what Bothers me is 2 semi to sharp objects having 1000 lbs. per square inch biting force that close to an artery. I'm sorry, but it would be very hard to maintain my cool. With people like that, plastic animals are as far as I would let them go. There is not a 100% bite proof dog out there. I like animals, own several, but who's to say that someones dog can't "snap???" Sorry with the way animals are bred now a days I just can't have 100% faith in any animal. The owners of any animal need to think about that. Neighbor had a cat, 9 years old great cat, freindly, just a normal cat. One day acted funny, lady picked him up, he went totaly of the deep end nuts tore that lady up several stitches required. Don't know why. Just tried to do a "clown trigger"
Just my opinion