hurricane katrina

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Lets NOT turn this thread into a shouting match between individuals. If anyone want to argue on a personal level, take it to your email accounts or AIM, not here.

reefraff

Well it's like 10 days after the storm and the Mayor has finally decided to order a mandatory evacuation. Of course the governor has recended that order. She wants additional study on the water. It seems that ten times the acceptable level of e coli bacteria in the water isn't bad enough for her to order an evacuation. The paramedics working in the stuff are getting blisters from it even being able to shower it off but it's OK for people to live in it. Amazing.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by reefraff
Well it's like 10 days after the storm and the Mayor has finally decided to order a mandatory evacuation. Of course the governor has recended that order. She wants additional study on the water. It seems that ten times the acceptable level of e coli bacteria in the water isn't bad enough for her to order an evacuation. The paramedics working in the stuff are getting blisters from it even being able to shower it off but it's OK for people to live in it. Amazing.
This is a different "type" mandatory evacuation. FORCE can be used to get folks out...but they have stated they were hoping not to do this. A mandatory evacuation was in place before the hurrican struck. No one is ever forced from their homes before a hurricane stikes in any area. Local officials try and coax folks out....the common method is asking them for their next of kin which usually gets them moving.
Much of the details of this tragedy is beyond the cognitive skills of many.

ophiura

I think one of the things we've seen the last couple of weeks are the limitations of a democratic form of government. People can not be forced out of their homes in general...and I reckon several will go down fighting. Additionally, the entire Congress had to be called back to OK the funding package. The president can't just sign off on it. It takes time for those giant wheels of the federal government to move...also probably some confusion as to the role of feds in a state issue, another hotbed of contention. Who has to ask for what before something can be done. It just is the way it is. There will be blame enough for everyone at every level. Lets just hope it is not a witch hunt but a productive review. Ha ha. I like to make myself laugh :(

scubadoo

CNN) -- Hurricane Katrina killed most of the fish in the New Orleans Aquarium of the Americas, the American Zoo and Aquarium Association Web site reported.
The animals were killed when the facility lost power and the staff had to evacuate.
A small staff is tending to the surviving animals and preparing to move them out of the facility, which is at the foot of Canal Street along the Mississippi River.
The Aquarium of the Americas was considered one of the foremost aquariums in the world, the conservation Web site Mongabay.com said.
"It had 10,000 fish representing more than 530 species and featured four enormous exhibits -- Mississippi River gallery featuring catfish, paddlefish and alligators; the Caribbean Reef exhibit featuring a clear, 30-foot-long tunnel surrounded by aquatic creatures; the Amazon Rainforest display featuring piranhas and tropical birds; and the Gulf of Mexico exhibit featuring sharks, sea turtles and stingrays -- in addition to a number of smaller displays."
Some animals survived the loss of power, the American Zoo and Aquarium Association Web site reported.
"The sea otters, penguins, leafy and weedy sea dragons, birds (macaws and raptors), and the white alligator are fine," the association said on its Web site
"Midas, the infamous 250-pound sea turtle, survived and has been coaxed into the holding area in the Gulf of Mexico Exhibit," the association said.
Air pumps are key for an aquarium, according to Mongabay.com.
"Aquatic plants, animals, and waste-converting bacteria all depend on oxygen dissolved in water for respiration."

reefraff

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
This is a different "type" mandatory evacuation. FORCE can be used to get folks out...but they have stated they were hoping not to do this. A mandatory evacuation was in place before the hurrican struck. No one is ever forced from their homes before a hurricane stikes in any area. Local officials try and coax folks out....the common method is asking them for their next of kin which usually gets them moving.
Much of the details of this tragedy is beyond the cognitive skills of many.
I should have used "forced" instead of mandatory but whatever it is it came several days late. Now it turns out the red cross was turned away with relief supplies the day after the hurricane. I've heard 2 stories on that. 1. They were not part of search and rescue so they wern't allowed in and 2. They didn't want food and water taken to the superdome and convention center because it would have drawn even more people to those locations. This just keeps getting more weird.

lovethesea

. She wants additional study on the water. .

I don't think this lady is capable anymore. (didn't know anything about her before the storm, but I what have seen now, I don't think I like ) She is beyond thinking straight.
I understand these people are scared and some have never left NO. But I don't think I understand what they think they have to gain by staying in their home. I could never imagine what they are gong through. But when you are surrounded by all of this mess and know that its not going to get fixed what could possibly keep you in that house?

scubadoo

Originally Posted by lovethesea

I don't think this lady is capable anymore. (didn't know anything about her before the storm, but I what have seen now, I don't think I like ) She is beyond thinking straight.
I understand these people are scared and some have never left NO. But I don't think I understand what they think they have to gain by staying in their home. I could never imagine what they are gong through. But when you are surrounded by all of this mess and know that its not going to get fixed what could possibly keep you in that house?
If they refuse to leave the only alternative is to put people in handcuffs and remove them by force. They are trying not to do this. many of us always feel we would react in a certain way...but you never know for sure how you would react until you are put in that situation.
THere is no good answer here...other then trying to convince. The altenative is not a pleasant one. In this country...you do not want to remove folks from their home in handcuffs or by using guns. I suspect it may come down to this.

scubadoo

After Brown, the head of FEMA wrote his infamous memo...he also discouraged other states from sending crews. the same day He wanted them to wait...rather then telling them to come but contact X.
There are many many stories..including WalMart trucks full of water being truned away, emergency communication in Jefferson parish being cut-off my FEMA, Coast Guard Diesel Fuel offered to local parishes for genrators...and FEMA not allowing the distribution, FEMA deliverd generators in Slidell being removed because the site was not surveyed for appropriate location , City of Slidell Equipment threatened to be removed, etc, etc, etc.
THere are many "weird" stories.

reefraff

I gotta think the governor may be just emotionally overwhelmed at this point. There are people who have died from infections caused by that water. I understand that it is a lot more efficient to just move on to those people who want to be evacuated but it is way beyond that now, they need to get those people out so the rescue workers can get out of the muck. I just wonder how the people staying can stand the smell. I guess you can smell it miles away. I just hope the media doesn't get too graphic once the water is drained. I think there are going to be sights that are better left off of TV.

reefraff

After Brown, the head of FEMA wrote his infamous memo...he also discouraged other states from sending crews. the same day He wanted them to wait...rather then telling them to come but contact X.
There are many many stories..including WalMart trucks full of water being truned away, emergency communication in Jefferson parish being cut-off my FEMA, Coast Guard Diesel Fuel offered to local parishes for genrators...and FEMA not allowing the distribution, FEMA deliverd generators in Slidell being removed because the site was not surveyed for appropriate location , City of Slidell Equipment threatened to be removed, etc, etc, etc.
THere are many "weird" stories.
The Red Cross was turned away by state officials, not FEMA. Don't know about all the other stuff that went on. I guess I could see why they might not want generators hooked up until the power lines are checked but there isn't any reason I could think of for turning away a truck full of water. I was watching the people on the bridges and couldn't believe they weren't at least getting water.
I know someone with family in Jefferson Parish. They could use some of the deisel for the guys shrimp boat. He went out last week and got a bunch for the neighborhood. Last I heard they were scrounging more fuel so he could go back out. They had gotten a few supplies from relief workers but hadn't seen them again. Seems like everybody forgot about some of the outlying areas once NO went to hell.
Oh well, I just hope they build things better. In a sick and twisted kind of way it sounds like a lot of the poor people may end up better off for this. Heck of a way to get a better life.

scubadoo

The Red Cross was turned away by state officials, not FEMA. Don't know about all the other stuff that went on. I guess I could see why they might not want generators hooked up until the power lines are checked but there isn't any reason I could think of for turning away a truck full of water. I was watching the people on the bridges and couldn't believe they weren't at least getting water.
I know someone with family in Jefferson Parish. They could use some of the deisel for the guys shrimp boat. He went out last week and got a bunch for the neighborhood. Last I heard they were scrounging more fuel so he could go back out. They had gotten a few supplies from relief workers but hadn't seen them again. Seems like everybody forgot about some of the outlying areas once NO went to hell.
Oh well, I just hope they build things better. In a sick and twisted kind of way it sounds like a lot of the poor people may end up better off for this. Heck of a way to get a better life.
And the improtant thing to remember is all the outlying areas are predominantly white. That is why those playing the race card have no foundation on which to stand and are clueless as to the impact to all areas. As of yesterday, FEMA had yet to reach small towns in MS that are predominantly white. No basis for race in this debate....but some need it to further their cause while others are in the exploitation business.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
100's of volunteers are currently rescuing animals in New Orleans. Please when giving do not overlook our four-legged friends and please support agencies that are providing shelter and rescuing these animals.
I just dropped a large bag of pet food off at a Walmart food donation box for 4-legged victims and will continue to do this whenever I see a donation station.
Not wanting to undermine the human suffering at all, but also knowing that the humans will be receiving help and relief from the government and even from our friends abroad, such as Mexico and Australia, as well as all of us in the way of charities. The animal shelters, however, will only get help from us animal lovers. The world just would not be the same without our pets, now would it? So, please give if you can, at least at the donation stations at the stores.
ASPCA Donation
Humane Society

dogstar

Yea, I think its safe to say that we are all amimal lovers here and it breaks my heart to know that so many pets were left behind. To see them on roof tops and trap inside homes still. You know they are drinking that water and eating food from who knows what that they find. PPL. even took them to shelters befor the storm and those shealters got destroied. I dont know but arent alot of the animals going to be carring deseases now as well as rats and mositoes from eating the bodies ect. I shur hope the CDC has a plan........

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by Dogstar
I shur hope the CDC has a plan........

Well, so far, we are kinda falling behind in the "have a plan" department. :help:

reefraff

Originally Posted by Beth
Well, so far, we are kinda falling behind in the "have a plan" department. :help:
No doubt. The few plans that are in place don't make a lot of sense. If I hadn't listened to the heads of the Salvation Army and Red Cross explain while they weren't allowed to bring in food and water into NO I wouldn't have believed it. Of course good ol FEMA has hundreds of nice travel trailers for people to live in while their houses are being repaired or rebuilt. Of course they are all still sitting in a field in Georgia while people in Mississippi are out in the cold

lovethesea

this will be nothing short of the plague. Hopefully all eyes are on symptoms in these massive centers. My Aunt is heading to Houston (nurse volunteer w/Red Cross) next week. Some of this should be rearing its ugly head by then and hopefully the medical supplies/quarantines will be available when it does. From what she is hearing, some of these people were already pretty sick upon arrival. Especially the elderly who already had pre existing conditions. St. Louis/Illinois just recv'd several that went right from the airplane to the hospital. They did a triage(sp) on the plane and had ambulances ready for them upon arrival.

dogstar

You know they are just going to pump all that water right into the Gulf. I guess theres really nothing else they can do because theres no plan if this happend but what will that do to the sea life in the Gulf and as it flows out thru the Keys and to the Gulf Stream. Will this kill reefs in Fl. and Carribean? Will ppl. not be allowed to go swimming at the beaches in Tampa or in Texas or FL. Will we not be able to eat seafood any more......