I got the bug....

gemmy

Next question, what meds should I have JIC? I want to make sure I have everything covered before I get the horses.

gemmy

So I bought the tank, stand, and fake plants. I already have the sand, filter, and egg crate. I also bought a bunch of frozen food.
Need to get:

• Chiller

• Pond foam
    Skimmer
    Seahorse first aid kit (input needed as to what is needed for this I want to be prepared for anything)
What am I missing besides pics (no room in the car for the tank)?

meowzer

OH YEAH, I could not find the list......and then I went to bed...
small powerhead with cover
feeding bowl

meowzer

FOUND IT...this is a copy and paste list :)

You should have these medications on hand when you purchase your seahorse. As you become more knowledgeable about them, you may find that you prefer other medications; this is just a guideline. Most of these medications can be found at a well-stocked LFS.

Be sure to have on hand:

Formalin 3 and Neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment) as a topical solution.
(Betadine will do in a pinch.)
Kanacyn
Methylene blue
Furan-2 or Triple Sulfa
Tetracycline
Erythromycin
Metronidazole
Neomycin
Nitrofurazone
Optional:

Maracyn II
Furanase
Paragon II
Melafix
Malachite Green
Important meds that may be obtained through your veterinarian or MD:
Acetazolamide (Diamox)
Ceftazime (Fortran)
Praziquantel (Droncit)
Essential tools to have on hand:

Fine gauge IV catheter flexible tubing (without needle)
Tuberculin syringe with needle removed
Loose hairpin with soft plastic tip

gemmy

Thanks, I have most of that stuff or can easily get it in a pinch. I forgot I have a nano powerhead that I will use. I think I am going to build the rock wall on Weds or Thurs.

teresaq

What type of filter are you going to use. A spray bar down one side would be nice. It would give you a nice gental flow.
Dont forget an open air line.

gemmy

I'm going to use a Fluval 405 with a spray bar. I am going to have a HOB fuge for pods. I forgot that I have everything for an open air line. I figured out my feeding dish. I have a clam shell and I will build it in the rock wall.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/20#post_3420272
Too bad your not closer, lol I could fill your tank. haha
LOL.
I finally got the tank home. Now, I just have some reorganizing to do so I can make room for the tank. I also have to break down my 16 gallon. I'll post pics once I get it inside.

flower

Hey folks I have a question, I know medicines only last for so long (most say a year) All those medicines for sea horses just in case...any idea of the shelf life of them?

teresaq

I was told by abby - that they accually are good longer - a couple of yrs.
I know there is a big list, but all I really keep is formiline, antibiotics, meth blue and bio-bandage. This is usually what you start with, and can get other stuff in a few days.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/20#post_3421047
I was told by abby - that they accually are good longer - a couple of yrs.
I know there is a big list, but all I really keep is formiline, antibiotics, meth blue and bio-bandage. This is usually what you start with, and can get other stuff in a few days.
Those are the ones I am going to keep on hand at all times. Most of the others I can get fairly quickly.

gemmy

The tank is in my house and has water in it!!!!. I'm going to build the rock wall this week. I'll post pics once the tank is full and I have the filters hooked up.

novahobbies

Yes it does! I'm so happy for you!!! If I had room for even ONE more tank, this would be the one I'd do, too. Tagging along with great interest!