I need help with a dog problem.

flower

Hi,
My female German Shepherd (Tamerah) has decided to not pay attention, and muscle through her shock collar fence. I have a fenced yard but she can jump it like a deer with no problems. I got a dog lead so I can chain her outside and prevent her from getting into trouble, she already went after a smaller dog and mouthed it (why the lead was purchased, I got a fine for a dog at large)...thank goodness she didn't hurt it, but I now am on alert, she can't be trusted. It is a cable that is embedded into the ground with a strong clip that attaches to the dogs collar, she can reach the same parameters as the shock fence allowed..
My problem is that she won't go beyond the back door into the yard with a lead on. It's icy out, and I'm crippled up (I walk with a cane) and can't walk her. I managed to walk out to the porch steps last night, and she tinkled real fast just beyond my standing position and ran back to the door. How do I get her to just enjoy the outside, but on a lead? She loves the snow and always liked to run and jump in it, she is never just left outside, I just want her to go potty and stay out of trouble. This morning I tied her out and Atticus (the male dog) went and did his business...she wouldn't go and just camped on the door stoop, she has not gone potty as yet this morning, so she is holding it all in....what can I do?

shane784

Make her a "run" keep your lead attached to her collar but place the other end on another horizontal cable fixed between 2 structures... like your patio and the nearest tree, then connect her lead to this cable which will allow her to roam lengthwise and outward

bang guy

Just give her time to adjust to the lead. If you don't fuss over her she'll figure it out soon enough.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane784 http:///t/393894/i-need-help-with-a-dog-problem#post_3505401
Make her a "run" keep your lead attached to her collar but place the other end on another horizontal cable fixed between 2 structures... like your patio and the nearest tree, then connect her lead to this cable which will allow her to roam lengthwise and outward
I don't have two points to be able to do that. It's too late in the season to build something now. Isn't the lead still atttached, and I will have the same problem? If not the the same, what is the difference and why would the dog accept a lead between two points and not at one point? She has the full run of her yard already, she isn't being stopped by the cable. it's a good sized yard, the fence serves only to make the passerbys feel safe, it never contained the dogs, the shock collar marking their parameter did. I even shaved her neck along the shock point and she still ignores it and dodges for any people passing by with their dogs as they walk them.
The lead pulling her is not the problem, she doesn't like the feel of the lead attached to her. I even went and purchased a lighter lead, thinking it was the weight of the cable. The only time this dog has ever been on a leash is when I remove the shock collar and take her to the vet, otherwise I just opened the door and let her out to the yard and the warning beep let her know to not go any farther than she was allowed.
I just went out on the icy porch, and while I stood there... she did at least go off the porch to the side and tinkle, but not do #2...LOL, she won't eat her breakfast, it's hard to eat when you need to go potty I guess. I feel sorry for her, but I can't take a chance on her getting away and biting another dog or God forbid, a person.

reefraff

They make a stubborn dog version of the collars you might try. I had to get one for one of my Beagles when we had the same situation with them jumping the fence.
The cable thing mentioned is like a trolley. You string a cable between 2 points (could be the porch and a fence post) And you thread a pulley through it. Then you attack like a 10 or 15 foot lead to the pulley. The dog can run the length of the cable and side to side 20 or 30 feet. If you do hook one end to a fence post you need to place a clamp on the trolley line do the pulley will stop before the dog reaches the fence. I had to do that with a lab cross I had.

dragonzim

The trolley lead is a good idea. Either way, she'll get used to the lead. When she has to go bad enough she will get the idea and go down into the yard to do her business.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///t/393894/i-need-help-with-a-dog-problem#post_3505412
The trolley lead is a good idea. Either way, she'll get used to the lead. When she has to go bad enough she will get the idea and go down into the yard to do her business.
Come spring I will have someone make me a cable pulley contraption...sounds better than a cable being dragged through the yard collecting the leaves, mud and poop that the doggie potty areas are prone to. My yard keeper only comes once or twice a month, depending on the weather.
I hope she does get the idea like you said, and not decide to rebel and start going in the house, which she has never done. She potty trained herself, I just left the back door open and she went outside to the fenced yard do her business. She tinkled on the kitchen floor once when it was raining, but once she decided the rain was nice, and getting wet was fun with the grandkids she never had another accident, she is 3+ yrs old now, she has been part of the family since she was 10 weeks old.
I don't know what she has against little dogs, even little dog pups, my son's 8 week old Yorkie pup ( he came on Thankgiving and the pup was too young to leave alone) almost got eaten...she went for it like it was a squirrel. Maybe they remind her of her teddy bear toy that she tosses up in the air and shakes around. She used to stop dead in her tracks when I called her, even when in full chase of the squirrel, but now she goes all out and doesn't pay attention...that's a serius bad thing for a German Shepherd to not stop when they are told to. Atticus will be in full attack of a stranger, and drops to the floor when I yell NO. I have never had a hard headed stubbern shepherd before.
It's 10:50 am and she usually goes out at 6:00am...I tied her out twice with no results...I did stand with her outside at 9:00 this morning when she at least tinkled, and she has not eaten her breakfast yet, she really loves her food too, so she must be really stressed about being tied out. She is hanging her head like she is being punished....my poor dumb baby girl.

shane784

My pit also seems fussy at times.. with this snow today she takes 1 step into the grass and turns her nose up n dashes back inside. once she has to go bad enough she does tho. where in IL are you?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane784 http:///t/393894/i-need-help-with-a-dog-problem#post_3505418
My pit also seems fussy at times.. with this snow today she takes 1 step into the grass and turns her nose up n dashes back inside. once she has to go bad enough she does tho. where in IL are you?
Between Gurnee and Antioch...real close to the Wisconsin border. We had an ice storm that sealed our car doors shut but not too much snow, only about 1.5 to 2 inches, just enough to make it dangerously slick. Both of my dogs really love the snow the deeper the better...they act like pups playing in it. LOL...But they have lots more fur than a pit does, maybe your fur baby doesn't like being cold.

meowzer

Flower I had to literally walk outside in the snow yesterday to get my dogs out.....NOW my dogs are little......so if I have no issues with them like you do
BUT....after a couple of times they realized.....HEY...we have to do this....HAHA....as I am sure Tamerah will too
Good luck :)

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393894/i-need-help-with-a-dog-problem#post_3505416
Come spring I will have someone make me a cable pulley contraption...sounds better than a cable being dragged through the yard collecting the leaves, mud and poop that the doggie potty areas are prone to. My yard keeper only comes once or twice a month, depending on the weather.
I hope she does get the idea like you said, and not decide to rebel and start going in the house, which she has never done. She potty trained herself, I just left the back door open and she went outside to the fenced yard do her business. She tinkled on the kitchen floor once when it was raining, but once she decided the rain was nice, and getting wet was fun with the grandkids she never had another accident, she is 3+ yrs old now, she has been part of the family since she was 10 weeks old.
I don't know what she has against little dogs, even little dog pups, my son's 8 week old Yorkie pup ( he came on Thankgiving and the pup was too young to leave alone) almost got eaten...she went for it like it was a squirrel. Maybe they remind her of her teddy bear toy that she tosses up in the air and shakes around. She used to stop dead in her tracks when I called her, even when in full chase of the squirrel, but now she goes all out and doesn't pay attention...that's a serius bad thing for a German Shepherd to not stop when they are told to. Atticus will be in full attack of a stranger, and drops to the floor when I yell NO. I have never had a hard headed stubbern shepherd before.
It's 10:50 am and she usually goes out at 6:00am...I tied her out twice with no results...I did stand with her outside at 9:00 this morning when she at least tinkled, and she has not eaten her breakfast yet, she really loves her food too, so she must be really stressed about being tied out. She is hanging her head like she is being punished....my poor dumb baby girl.
Buy the kits that Petsmart sells. Then you just need someone to sink you a good post in spring and hook it up. One bit of advice though is to pick up a couple of cable clamps from lowes or HD and install them so the dog can't reach the post or anything on the porch the short lead can get wrapped around. When properly planned out it really is a slick system.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393894/i-need-help-with-a-dog-problem#post_3505424
Buy the kits that Petsmart sells. Then you just need someone to sink you a good post in spring and hook it up. One bit of advice though is to pick up a couple of cable clamps from lowes or HD and install them so the dog can't reach the post or anything on the porch the short lead can get wrapped around. When properly planned out it really is a slick system.
UGH...I didn't think about the dog getting wrapped up on the pole...LOL, you can see how often I tie a dog up. Thanks for the tip...
You guys were right, she couldn't hold it any longer and FINALLY went off the porch to do what had to be done. A happy critter she is not, but she did quit sulking. Since I already got one ticket on her, I was told by the officer who gave me the "dog at large" ticket that Illinois has a law for "dangerous dogs" and collects them and put them down after two or three substantiated complaints. I am not all that familiar with the law since I never had to deal with such a problem, before, but I don't want to take any chances. It would kill my mother if the dog was put down for getting over the fence and hurting/kill someones little pooch.
Meowzer...I also had to go on the icy porch today 2Xs to try and get the dog to go (she would only tinkle)...she wouldn't even leave the door stoop otherwise. She finally barked at me, and started scratching at the door...it was time, I tied her out and she went straight off the porch and did the deed...
Whew...what a pain in the butt, thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. I will look into a pulley lead come spring, and see what I can do about hiring someone to install it for me. Thanks again!

crimzy

Hey flower... I have nothing of substance to add so I'll just throw this out there. Is this the longest tongue ever??

al&burke

Hey Flower what if you leave the lead on when she is in the house, maybe she will get more used to it.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/393894/i-need-help-with-a-dog-problem#post_3505494
Hey Flower what if you leave the lead on when she is in the house, maybe she will get more used to it.
That's what I had to do. Took a few days and then she slowly started getting used to it. Then after about a week or so she wasn't afraid of it anymore. I just had to keep an eye on the dogs when i did this because they like to rough house with one another so you don't want someone to accidentally get strangled.
Freaked me out a couple of weeks ago. My one dog got her bottom jaw caught and twisted in the collar of my other dog and they could not get themselves separated. By the time I seen what was going on my one dog was nearly passed out from the other one choking her trying to get free. Had this happened when I was not around I probably would have came home to a dead dog.

al&burke

That's scary Corey, my Jack Russell one time got her lower jaw into her collar, I came home from work she was just sitting there really scared, took a few minutes to get it off almost had to cut it off.
Merry Christmas by the way!!!!